ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Special Teams

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
I'm trying to remember the last time MT Special Teams were special, and I'm not talking short bus 'special'

Today's bobbled punt snap that was ended with a block resulting in a North Texas touchdown was just one thing that was just awful tonight. Failure to properly cover a kickoff return was another blunder. When was the last time MT returned a kickoff. If we don't practice kickoff returns, do our special teams even have a clue how to cover one?

I am still scarred by watching that Duke onside kick in the first quarter last month. MT is so predictable that we are going to call a fair catch we are not prepared for an onside kick. I am also scarred by the blocked kick returned for two points by FAU.

Why do we seem to have no kick or punt return threat? It's not like we don't have some speedy options to return.

Look this year's team has lots of problems on offense and defense, but it seems the highest percent of suckage is found on special teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
You mean like 12 men on the field kind of bad? Yeah....It's been an ongoing problem.

Overall, it's just a bad and inexperienced team.....across the board. We can over analyze and point to this or point to that but it's really that simple, the team is bad.

Probably better that we lost anyway and ended all hope instead of carrying on some false sense of hope. This isn't a championship caliber team, not even close. UAB will probably be the best team in the worst conference again.

Last edited:
Our Special Teams guy had one year of experience coaching it in a dual role at Murray State before Stock hired him. Draw your own conclusions.

I really wanted them to pull it out after the NT running back fumbled it back to us. Just ain’t gonna happen this year. And probably the next and the next.

Honest question - is there any other FBS team in the country that fair catches kickoffs like we do?

I know there are situational times to do it, but I have not seen another team do it like we do it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT