ADVERTISEMENT

SOFTBALL Softball Playing for Championship

Awesome job! Question though. Don't know anything about softball. How does this bracket work? We lost but got moved to a different leg?

Awesome job! Question though. Don't know anything about softball. How does this bracket work? We lost but got moved to a different leg?

Totally an uneducated guess. Because we came out of the losers bracket, we would have to play and beat UNT twice to be champions. It doesn’t look like UNT has lost any games thus far. That’s generally how these double-elimination brackets work.
if anyone has more informed knowledge about this, will defer to them.

Great to finally see us knock an upcoming AAC member Charlotte out of competition before they transfer over. Those schools already had plenty of tournament success in other sports. Like to see our ladies get another one in UNT today.

It’s winner take all. It’s double elimination until the final (with the exception of the very first game). Essentially it rewards a team for not losing by getting the the championship game faster. I’m glad it is the way it is because we have a shot. 2-2 bottom of the 8th.

Reactions: BlueAlpha
Bottom of the 9th, 2-2, runners on 1st and 2nd and one out. Tough spot right now.

Add another conference title to the rack THIS YEAR. Collectively, no other athletic program in CUSA contributes more than we do. We about took one home in golf too. Out of the teams leaving CUSA, they might do well in one or maybe 2 sports. A few of them did nothing in about every sport. Way to go Lady Raiders.

Add another conference title to the rack THIS YEAR. Collectively, no other athletic program in CUSA contributes more than we do. We about took one home in golf too. Out of the teams leaving CUSA, they might do well in one or maybe 2 sports. A few of them did nothing in about every sport. Way to go Lady Raiders.
CUSA doesn't have an all sports trophy I don't think but I remember for years we ruled the SBC in the Bubas Cup. Even with football and basketball at that time mediocre.

Pretty sure we (and WKU) have been at the top in CUSA as well. Real shame we can't get the same results from the revenue sports. I remember graphics being posted back when the MAC rumors were floating around.

CUSA doesn't have an all sports trophy I don't think but I remember for years we ruled the SBC in the Bubas Cup. Even with football and basketball at that time mediocre.

Pretty sure we (and WKU) have been at the top in CUSA as well. Real shame we can't get the same results from the revenue sports. I remember graphics being posted back when the MAC rumors were floating around.
I saw this today. It is a little dated now though.

I think that gap between WKU and MT is due mainly to VB and of course FB, both of which have been far better at wku than MT in the decade or so.

I knew I'd seen that same graphic somewhere. Your post reminded me it was WKU that posted it.

Their AD has it pinned. Posted it 05/31/22, so end of last school year was at 36. So far this 22/23 year WKU has only won volleyball champ making it 37. We were at 28 and we've won women's bball, men's tennis, and softball this year so now 31.

One thing I did notice on a championship page WKU has, that number includes division crowns. Which if I were counting, I wouldn't include. Especially now that divisions are toast. I'd only list regular season and tournament champs. And one could argue not to include regular season. I mean does anyone remember who won the B12 or SEC regular seasons?

I'll have to sit down and figure it out one rainy day.

Reactions: ewglenn
On a side note, wasn’t our T&F one of the best until the coach passed? I saw they finished middle of the pack this season.

Yes. Wasn't unusual for Coach Dean Hayes to have a top 25 team. His longevity & quality of athletes here at MT were excellent for a school this size. You don't get invited to coach in the Olympics without being an all time great.

Yes. Wasn't unusual for Coach Dean Hayes to have a top 25 team. His longevity & quality of athletes here at MT were excellent for a school this size. You don't get invited to coach in the Olympics without being an all time great.
What do you think about the new coach? Expectations moving forward?

What do you think about the new coach? Expectations moving forward?
I believe in giving coach V an opportunity to get settled. Coach Hayes passed away little over a year ago, & new coach has big shoes to fill. Believe his specialty was in cross country & brought plenty of experience with him. Like you, was disappointed to see track & field drop to the middle of pack. With CUSA taking on new schools, & others like UTSA moving on definitely would like to see us move up in standings next season. However, if we continue sliding lower against our new conference foes next season there would be reason for alarm.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT