ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS So why couldn't we vote them down???

JohnDavidBlue

All American
Sep 10, 2005
UT system is developing a "Grow your own career" for teacher pipelines to the TDOE. Here is my question....why aren't we sending an all out push to stop this since MT's education disciplines could be hurt being that it meets the state's need to train and get teachers out in the workforce.

$20 million for this initially.

We proposed $0 for the law school.

You see where I'm going with this, right? The law school......

Sidney should be a thorn in the a$$ of the state since then......

https://www.tn.gov/education/news/2...lish-the-tennessee-grow-your-own-center-.html

Reactions: SpaceRaider
This is the degree track that one of our 4 year returning starters is taking. Not gonna call any names but I hope he can make a Sunday roster or practice squad.

LINK:
“Integrated Studies Degree”

“This degree is extremely flexible and is an excellent option for students seeking a broad-based educational experience or wanting to custom-design a degree program. Those seeking this accelerated path to graduation choose two areas of emphasis (12 hours each) to meet personal and professional goals.

Sample study subjects include child and family studies, communication studies, criminal justice, cultural studies, English or writing, health, human sciences, information technology, journalism or public relations, leadership studies, nutrition, office management, political science, psychology, sociology, teaching and learning, and women’s studies.”

That could be very good or a joke. Those types of degrees can serve as a liberal arts like degree. One of my best students, now MD, took that kind of track. I have also seen these turn into basket weaving 101 type programs.

I did that for undergrad and have done very well for myself. It depends on the student. It was good enough to get me into MT grad school.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
My grandfather had an 8th grade education, was a GC and built houses for years. In his time, a HS graduate was the equivalent of a college grad in my generation.

It’s just my personal opinion but, I’m afraid we continue to dumb down higher education requirements for a college degree just to line the pockets of universities and keep athletes eligible for competition.

This is awesome and I think will be much more common place. VoTech has of course been around for years but now ours, and I'm sure many others, are working with local community colleges developing deeper programs for certifications. Get it quicker actually starting the process in high school. Welders, electricians, plumbers, mechanics, nurses, bookkeepers, etc.

With the mess college debt is, more and more people will go this route.

It’s just my personal opinion but, I’m afraid we continue to dumb down higher education requirements for a college degree just to line the pockets of universities and keep athletes eligible for competition.
I have an Bachelor's in Interdisciplinary Studies (it's the WKU version of a Integrated Studies degree) & I would strongly discourage anyone from majoring in it. It's been a question in almost every interview for a professional job & I've had to explain my major in multiple interviews. It's another hurdle kids have to cross to find a job in professional fields.

I have an Bachelor's in Interdisciplinary Studies (it's the WKU version of a Integrated Studies degree) & I would strongly discourage anyone from majoring in it. It's been a question in almost every interview for a professional job & I've had to explain my major in multiple interviews. It's another hurdle kids have to cross to find a job in professional fields.

I've been in retail for 25 years. By the time I realized I didn't want to do Recording Industry and stay in retail I was so far along (in reality too young and dumb to stay another year) to change.

Now I'm in a professiona role for a retail data company. Still in retail but thankfully behind the scenes now.
The recruiter during the whole process there asked me my full degree and minors.
I said "technically a BS in Recording Industry with a Production and Technology Emphasis and Minors in Entertainment Technology and Business Administration. But since I wish I'd changed my major, I usually just say BS in Industry Technology Administration. I use the last of the major and minors." And that is exactly what she put for my work profile in the HR system. All they cared was I had a degree. They were more focused on my experience.

For me, I think an Interdisciplinary Studies would sound better than what I ended up with.

I think that is what a lot of kids are thinking. Just have a degree period and do what you want. Which most 18-20 year olds don't know yet anyway. I remember in 98 they told me thr average student changes majors 7 times before they graduate.

I don’t even remember what it’s like to care about the degree someone has. In my field, it really comes down to experience and analytical skills beyond that. I think you need like 18 of course credit in the field and a BS degree to qualify. But we have people with multidisciplinary BS degree that are 100x better workers than doctors with 3 degrees in the same field.

Interesting how fields are different.

ADVERTISEMENT