ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Since Part I of the CRS Q&A was so well received, here's Part II

I don't have much hope for more than 6 wins in 2021, but I'd give mcphee's left nut for 10 wins...

GBR.COM: Let's go to the mailbag for a question from Bob, coach. "Coach Stock, given the letdown and regression of this past season, what changes can we expect?" Well, coach?

CRS: That's an excellent question.

GBR.COM: Indeed, coach. Let's go to the bag for another one. Blue Raider superfan Timmy East writes, "Excellent coaching job this past season despite so much adversity. The defensive line play was spectacular. My question is, don't you think it will be really hard next year with just as much adversity since the pandemic will still present problems at least thru the spring? I'd be happy with at least 1-2 wins next year. Do you think that's even possible?" What say you, coach?

CRS: All excellent points there, Tommy. You're right on all accounts, but you know I'm not one to go pencilling in wins. It's a tough conference and it's all about going out and competing for 60 minutes in every game. That said, I'd be disappointed in anything less than 1-2 wins.

All he pretty much said was they need to improve everything, but did not provide really any information how he was planning on actually improving anything.

Coach, we're finally getting somewhere. There is a lot of obvious to your Part II, but this is probably your best quote:

Conversely, defensively, we have to get better on third down. We were bad there. I thought at times we did a really nice job of stopping the run, really in the last part of the year. We have to tackle better … and we have to do more tackling drills and more competition against each other where we're tackling each other. We'd started doing that late in the year and we got better. We didn't do it early, because we didn't have as many people with quarantining issues, and, honestly, I was still figuring out how much of that we could do with COVID-19 so we wouldn't have contact tracing issues. "I hope we [have spring practice]. Our players need it from an improvement standpoint, and they need it just for trying to get back to as much of a normal way of living as we can."

Frankly, its about controlling line of scrimmage, time of possession, and have high conversions of 3rd downs to keep ahead of chains. And, comment on better tackling and pressure is good. We need quick tackles and good corners and safeties in the secondary to not get burned like we too often have. Quick scoring in your other comments could be good and bad. Score too quick, defense is out there too much and tends to be "leaky" resulting in 55-51 type of barnburner games that's a roll of dice to win. Score too little, and it becomes a long afternoon like the first Troy game, or even worse how we fared against Army with zero. I'm fine with only scoring 22 points a game if we can hold opponents to an average of 17 or fewer consistently; doesn't always have to be an big offensive play to be a productive one...in CUSA just being solid and consistent can be good enough to win championships, which we haven't had an outright one in a while. Just watch some of Bill Clark's teams at UAB and never forget to have 11 on the field and not 12 and maybe we just might get to a C-USA Championship game again.

Championships...that is where we need to be. Let me make myself clear coach, it's championships. Okay?

Last edited:
Delusion is overflowing. Epitome of gov't contracts and work. No milestones...just political talk.

"I'm not a doom and gloom guy. I'm positive. I feel good about this, feel good about where we are. " - Rick Stockstill

We have to tackle better … and we have to do more tackling drills and more competition against each other where we're tackling each other. We'd started doing that late in the year and we got better.

I find this to be rich, the offense doesn't even practice against bodies it's all done on air, at least the defense practices against a scout team. For a guy who preaches 'competing' he doesn't seem to understand that practicing on air for the offense doesn't get the offense ready to compete on Saturday's.

I’d like to see him jacked up and in front of fans - getting the people behind him. The fan base needs an inspirational leader right now. The players love him, so show us some of that personality, Rick! Help us get excited. Help us care again.

Can he do that? I think we know the answer, but I’ve never really seen him try, either. I mean t-shirts aside I guess 🤦🏼‍♂️..

He wouldn't waste his time with us, top pass rusher = trying to go to a CFP team
Besides, he's from an FBS school, so we're not wasting our time on him. However, if someone from Louisiana Wesleyan Tech enters the portal, prepare to welcome him to the Blue Raider family.

• Angry
Reactions: MTLynn
I’d like to see him jacked up and in front of fans - getting the people behind him. The fan base needs an inspirational leader right now. The players love him, so show us some of that personality, Rick! Help us get excited. Help us care again.

Can he do that? I think we know the answer, but I’ve never really seen him try, either. I mean t-shirts aside I guess 🤦🏼‍♂️..

It's too late. After 15 years? He is what he is. The record is what counts and the resulting decline in attendance. He needs to go. Things are not getting better, and no amount of coach speak. specifics-free blather, is going to convince me otherwise.

It's pretty much the same when ever Massaro gets around to defending this mess.

After the the 2009 NOB win, I went to the fan day in 2010 and Rick was a statue at the table. About as personable to fans as a rock. I agree - He is what he is.

It's too late. After 15 years? He is what he is. The record is what counts and the resulting decline in attendance. He needs to go. Things are not getting better, and no amount of coach speak. specifics-free blather, is going to convince me otherwise.

It's pretty much the same when ever Massaro gets around to defending this mess.

ADVERTISEMENT