ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING Signing Day Thread, Wednesday, February 6, 2019

The story on Josh Allen, who wanted to go to Fresno State, is interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Allen_(quarterback)

Allen attended Reedley College, a junior college where one of the football assistant coaches at the time was married to Allen's cousin.[1] Reedley's offensive coordinator at the time, Ernie Rodriguez, recalled in Eisenberg's story, "He was putting up ungodly numbers and making some incredible throws, but he was getting no love. I didn’t understand it. I couldn’t believe that nobody wanted him."[2] Allen did not play in the team's first three games in 2014, but in the next game ran for four touchdowns after coming off the bench, and soon became the team's starter,[1] throwing for 25 touchdowns with only 4 interceptions for the rest of the season.[2] By then, he had grown to 6'5" and 210 pounds (1.96 m, 95 kg), and his coaches at Reedley thought that he would soon receive many FBS scholarship offers. This proved incorrect; near the end of the season, Allen sent a mass email to every head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, and quarterback coach in FBS, but received interest from only a small number of schools. Only Eastern Michigan and Wyoming offered him a scholarship, and Eastern Michigan withdrew its offer when Allen visited Wyoming late in the 2014–15 junior-college signing period.[1]

Wyoming's coaches initially visited Reedley to scout another potential transfer,[1] but former Fresno State assistant Dave Brown, who had since become part of the inaugural staff of new Cowboys head coach Craig Bohl, was familiar with Allen, and urged offensive coordinator Brett Vigen to recruit him.[2] While researching Allen, Vigen noticed a large number of parallels between Allen and a quarterback whom he had recruited in 2010 while serving in the same role at North Dakota StateCarson Wentz, who went on to become a starting quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles. Wentz was similar in size to Allen, and also shared Allen's small-town, multi-sport, and late-blooming background.[2] Bohl soon warmed to Allen as a prospect, especially after their initial quarterback prospect committed to Syracuse. Bohl was the only FBS head coach to visit the family farm, and while there, he told Allen's father, "We went all around the country and there's only one quarterback we want and that's your son. He's going to be the face of our program."[1] Despite receiving an offer from Wyoming, Allen made one final pitch to Fresno State's staff, sending a pointed email to an assistant referencing the fact that the team had received a commitment from a quarterback prospect who was both shorter and lighter than Allen was when Fresno State turned him down in high school.[1] After being rebuffed, he committed to Wyoming, enrolling there prior to the 2015 season.[3]

Reactions: MT Glenn
You have to consider what type of offense he was in. He ran our offense and TF was in contact with him for a while. His numbers improved greatly from his freshman to sophomore years. He has plenty of talent to do well here. He can run and so can OHara. Our running speed at QB has been upgraded. Passing...who knows but I think we will be just fine. Brent didn't always make the right calls even as a senior. His best year was his freshman year in 2015 before he got injured 1000 times. Johnson wasn't brought in here to ride a bench. Franklin knows exactly what he wants to do with him.

You have to consider what type of offense he was in. He ran our offense and TF was in contact with him for a while. His numbers improved greatly from his freshman to sophomore years. He has plenty of talent to do well here. He can run and so can OHara. Our running speed at QB has been upgraded. Passing...who knows but I think we will be just fine. Brent didn't always make the right calls even as a senior. His best year was his freshman year in 2015 before he got injured 1000 times. Johnson wasn't brought in here to ride a bench. Franklin knows exactly what he wants to do with him.
I hope he turns out to be a Dasher like player with arm talent.

I'm reminded of a Omar Haugabook at Troy when Franklin was there. He's that type of player. Very intriguing pickup and I like it.

I have heard some say this may be the best recruiting class ever. Can you please help me understand why you are saying that?

Size, speed, versatility, impressive film. Overall, it appears the staff doesn't want to treat 19-20 season as a rebuilding year. Looking at this class and the JUCO products we signed, we are trying to reload.

QB: We only took 1 but his film is extremely impressive. He was clearly overlooked as others have mentioned here. If you watch his film you'll see right away he can play. The speed of the game will pick up a lot at the FBS level and he will have to learn to make decisions much quicker, but there's enormous upside with Randall Johnson. If he comes here and plays well he is a legit pro prospect too simply because of his size.

WR: I'm still a bit indifferent on if I like these WR. D.J. Chisolm will bring the obvious speed but I'm always skeptical of 5'7 / 5'8 guys at WR. They've gotta be really special (like Ty Lee) in order to really contribute. Will Chisolm be that special? We should know soon. Good WR's typically present as such early in their careers. You typically know if a receiver is going to be a major contributor or not early on. Jarrin Pierce and Marquel Tinsley round out the rest of the bunch. Both do not have impressive speed but they do possess decent size and soft hands. "Possession" receivers, if you will. Tinsley reminds me a lot of Chris McClover. I'm still hopeful we can squeek Deonte Stanley in. And when I watch Stanley's film, he looks like a WR to me. Staff wants him at safety but he shys away from contact too much IMO to play safety for us.

RB: John McDonald was the only guy we signed here. Another very lightly recruited JUCO kid out of California. Highlight film looks really good but almost any player can create a good highlight film these days. I'm personally a fan of shorter RB's that can shift like he does, so I think this is a good get. He will compliment our power backs well and should be a good replacement for Brad Anderson if he doesn't fully recover from his achilles injury. Will also be able to return punts and kicks. He has good vision and hits the hole hard. He will for sure earn himself some playing time this year.

OL: We signed 4 more linemen here after signing 5 last year. that's 9 OL in 2 years, which is quite a bit. I'm totally OK with this though. I have never understood why rosters do not have more OL on them. You play more OL in a game than any other position on the roster, so shouldn't it be your deepest? Oh yea, good OL play is also REQUIRED to win football games. So it's kind of important too, right? It almost feels like the staff listened to us as fans because there was some serious outcry about our OL play during the 17-18 season. I remember even calling into the post-game radio shows to complain about it. It was HORRIFIC so we signed 5 OL last year and another 4 this year. I really liked the 5 OL that we signed last year, probably more so than what we got this year. They should all redshirt except the Robert Jones kid who is a monster at 6'5 320lbs. Jones played guard at the JUCO level but appears athletic enough to play both guard and tackle for us. He's versatile which is great and should lead to him getting some playing time this year.

DB: Highest rated player of the class here in Marcus LaFrance, mostly due to his height and wingspan. He has some serious bulking up to do as he is rail thin right now and needs a college weight room desperately. Can't see him on the field early unless he really bulks up between now and the fall. The Quincy Riley kid really looks good on film and is my favorite DB prospect of this class. He looks FBS ready in my opinion. I like him at corner and I think he can contribute early and often for us if needed. Can also return kicks and punts. Other DB who caught my eye is the Marvae Myers-Glover kid. He is for sure undersized (No way he is 6'0 like rivals says) but his athleticism and ball instincts make up for it. He reminds me a lot of Charvarius Ward on film. Plays fast, tight coverage, and very fluid hips. He will need to put on some muscle though and grow a bit more into a man.

DL: My favorite position group. I've been saying it for probably 15 years now. A good DL will win you ball games. Several ball games. It will win you championships. NFL championships. Ask the Giants. I'm OK with the players we signed this year but I would have liked to seen at least 1 more guy signed this year, probably a JUCO. With Rodney Thompson unavailable to us until at least next year, we only sign 4 DL players this class and only signed 1 last year. That's 5 in 2 years. That's not enough guys. Just not enough. You play 4 DL players every down on defense, and it's always good to have another rotation of good DL players for the 2nd string, so you really need 8 legit DL players on your roster at all times. So we really need the 4 guys we signed this class to not be busts. Marley Cook definitely looks like he can play at the FBS level. He looks like 280lbs of all muscle and has some of the strongest looking legs i've ever seen on a high school DL player. He flat out overpowers everybody at the high school. Will be interesting to see how that translates. Massive upside with the Cook kid. Zaylin Wood is another one that just wows you on film. Just overpowers everybody at the high school level and dominates. With his size and athleticism I would be tempted to move him inside potentially. Will be interesting to see what the staff does with him. Darius 'JuJu' Williams is a classic edge rusher. He's athletic enough to play LB as well so that's a possibility, though I suspect with his size and length they will mold him into a DE. We didn't sign a lot of players for the DL group but the ones we did sign do appear to be good ones. JR Bivens is the least heralded of the bunch. He's a pack-your-lunch kind of player with an incredible motor.

I'll finish the remaining groups later, gotta run.

Always good to read a Wiley breakdown of the recruits. Good stuff brother.

A couple of thoughts on the class:

1. It appears that, while not topping the conference, it a better effort than what we've gotten the past couple of years. I've posted before that we're simply not as talented across the roster as we need to be to win titles in CUSA - and that starts on signing day. We've gotten by with a couple of exceptional talents, but top to bottom, we're not putting enough guys on the All-conference teams or in the NFL and it shows on Saturdays. Perhaps this class can change that trend.

2. That QB is really intriguing. Would I be off in saying that he reminds me of a poor man's Cam Newton? The dude's tape looks awesome. Should be fun to follow the spring practice with him, O'Hara, Shiflett, and Nolan. It does appear that we're going back to a more dual threat QB, which, IMHO, is needed. Brent could scramble, but he wasn't a real threat with his feet.

3. 1 QB, 4 offensive skill guys, 4 OLs, 5 DLs, 4 LBs, 4 DB's and 2 athletes. I like the balance in the class. There appears to be quality up and down the roster, and not one position seems to have too many, or too few guys like we've seen in the past (you've all heard my refrain on the # of WR on 'ship that don't do anything).

4. Only 4 JUCOs - which is great to see because this staff's hit rate on JUCO players is abysmal. We seem to be much better when we can develop a guy over time. The plug and play JUCO guys are more like sign and never seen again JUCO guys. And to be honest, even though the QB looks good, they JUCO guys appear to be pretty anonymous when digging up info on them.

Reactions: MTsumner92
i don't know if this is the best class ever but this has to be one of the fastest classes we've had or have had in a long time. I think we got in some great talent that can compete for spots right now especially with the skill guys. Look what Dobson did for us. Now we have like 3-4 more guys with his level of speed coming in. That will change things for us. Zeke Cobb will emerge this year. Jimmy Marshall will improve if they use him correctly. That 3 time state leading WR will play as a freshman. I like what we went out and got this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT