ADVERTISEMENT

Rowdiest home atmosphere you have experienced for MT Hoops/Football?

Matt Dossett

All American
Staff
May 14, 2016
Two from the Murphy Center stick out to me...Both when i was in college at MT. The women's game where Tennessee came to town. The other was the Men's NIT game against Minnesota.

Struggling to pick a favorite for football. GT game early on fans brought the goods. 2013 Marshall sticks out as well. Some left because of the cold but it was a fantastic finish

Last edited:
The WKU pack-the-house-home-sell-out push for one of the Dr.'s at the university (his name escapes me) was pretty wild.

Home football.....jeez. I don't think that stadium has ever been "rowdy" - Despite the crowd sizes not reflecting it, I feel like when I was a student there it was for sure more rowdy. So 2003-2007. Some games that stick out include the 2006 game to Louisville, despite not being in our stadium, was insane for the first half of the game. I recall the Virginia crowd being pretty wild in 2007 (still in awe of us losing that game 10 years later)....and that's all that really comes to memory. As I said, not sure Floyd Stadium has ever been "rocking" and at this point I'm not sure if it ever will be. And I'm OK with that.

I think watching football live-in-person-in-stadium is one of the most overrated experiences out there unless you're in an 80,000 seat stadium full of packed, crazy fans. The only live environments I've ever been to that impressed me were against SEC teams. Florida, Georgia, Tennessee to be precise. Even places like NC State I found to be very, very underwhelming.

There was a stretch of about 4 years in the early to mid seventies where Austin Peay basketball games that were full houses starting with the two years that Fly Williams, Danny Odums, and Howard Jackson were the stars for the govs. The 'Time Out' Jimmerson game was my favorite. That game was rocking as MT made a 12 point comeback in the last two minutes of regulation. And this was way before there was a three point shot. You could hear the fan noise bouncing off the glass walls and back. Just crazy noise.

Sadly Wiley is correct about football games in Floyd. The best I can recall is the Maryland victory.

The game against Troy where they came back to win in the last couple minutes was a wild game. A lot of energy that fizzled lol.

Well the rowdiest game I remember in Murphy Center was the 'Melee in Murfreesboro' against Tennessee Tech in 1990. And the crowd was pretty good up ever before the fight. There is a video in Youtube I still watch ever once in a while but I'm not tech enough to upload it into a thread.

I think the game against Memphis in 2009 early in the year was festive...28K, big win. For mens BB, I would say the fill the Murph game for Professor Todd against WKU, I think it was 2003 or so. For the Women, the opening game against Maryland in Insel's second season.

Reactions: cipjr
Two from the Murphy Center stick out to me...Both when i was in college at MT. The women's game where Tennessee came to town. The other was the Men's NIT game against Minnesota.

Struggling to pick a favorite for football. GT game early on fans brought the goods. 2013 Marshall sticks out as well. Some left because of the cold but it was a fantastic finish
I'm showing my age ITT lol

Years just prior to and for a few years after The Murph was built. Games against WKU, AP, and even TTU were all events with a large contingent of opponent's fans (1,000 +/-) and big crowds in the 8,500 + range. Really good times but FB was in a down period.

Timing seems to always be off when trying to gain support for FB. We added to the stadium (from 10,000 to 16,000) when we appeared we could easily use more seating and then the program went in the toilet. Went to D-1 and enlarged the stadium at the same time the NFL came to the area along with the ESPNing of sports (many more games on TV along with emphasis on all things "big-time".) Just can't get our s--- together when planning ahead for FB.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
For BB, I'll say the 1995 Vandy win and the 2016 Vandy Win especially when Giddy setup the alley oop to Reggie. For football, I'll throw out a few. 2008 FAU murfreesboro miracle, 2013 Memphis game when we got the 2 sacks back to back to shut them down with no time left, 2013 Marshall and the 2014 WKU 3 OT thriller with 25k in the stands. That was pretty hyped.

One thing I remember about that FAU game is how uneventful the 3.9 quarters were. Until that last heave, the blackout game made the atmosphere nice but the rest was more about the blackout. Made the ESPN top ten that night.

The game against Vanderbilt in basketball was so much fun to watch live. The energy in the Murph was definitely high.

For BB, I'll say the 1995 Vandy win and the 2016 Vandy Win especially when Giddy setup the alley oop to Reggie. For football, I'll throw out a few. 2008 FAU murfreesboro miracle, 2013 Memphis game when we got the 2 sacks back to back to shut them down with no time left, 2013 Marshall and the 2014 WKU 3 OT thriller with 25k in the stands. That was pretty hyped.

Reactions: C-Bow
I think the game against Memphis in 2009 early in the year was festive...28K, big win. For mens BB, I would say the fill the Murph game for Professor Todd against WKU, I think it was 2003 or so. For the Women, the opening game against Maryland in Insel's second season.

We were at that game. Big crowd..

The game against Troy where they came back to win in the last couple minutes was a wild game. A lot of energy that fizzled lol.

I still remember the feeling of standing in the end zone ready to storm the field only to have Omar Haugabook break our hearts in the last 3:33.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT