ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS ROTC Bldg in the news again

I am glad they are retaining the name...Forrest was a reformed man and was very public about it. All of us, especially historical men are fallible.

Reactions: raiders1975
I am glad they are retaining the name...Forrest was a reformed man and was very public about it. All of us, especially historical men are fallible.

Agreed, he was a complex man in complex times. Lauding him for his military brilliance on an ROTC building does not subtract from the evils that was done by him, nor does it promote that same evil today.

I'm not a fan of judging people from centuries ago by the customs and norms of 2018.

Imagine 150 years from now, butchering animals to consume meat is considered evil and barbaric. Does that mean we're all evil people better consigned to the dustbin of history, despite our accomplishments?

Reactions: raiders1975
I've stated before, it needs to be gone. The man has no connection to the university which came along nearly a half century after the man passed from the scene. The building itself is an old unimpressive, low-bid mid 20th century classroom and isn't on the campus master plan. If we are adding additional academic facilities, IMO, a replacement needs to be a top priority, with a new name, named after an alumnus with a military background or donor that strongly supports the university.

Demo Forrest and filled that entire area with a big honking parking garage.

When all that stuff broke in 2003 I was just starting grad school at Jennings Jones and oblivious to the lawsuit. Honestly, for the next 18 months I was focused on one thing, getting out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT