ADVERTISEMENT

Remove CNM at Seasons End - No Further Data Needed

Massaro wanted Odom and went with CNM after he couldn't get anyone else while Grensing was just sitting there. Hi pride wouldn't let him go back to Greg like he should have done in the first place. Massaro had no proof that CNM would work either. Now we are stuck. How's that conspiracy? FTD
He was overruled by McPhee by all accounts. Having no proof CNM would work out and “knowing it would fall down” as you said are two very different things. Of course he did not know if McDevitt would work. We don’t know if Odom or Grensing would have worked. I think we all can agree either would have been much better than this, but we can’t know for sure.

He was overruled by McPhee by all accounts. Having no proof CNM would work out and “knowing it would fall down” as you said are two very different things. Of course he did not know if McDevitt would work. We don’t know if Odom or Grensing would have worked. I think we all can agree either would have been much better than this, but we can’t know for sure.

I'm sure it had to be in his mind or maybe not. I'm with you. Either would have been way better. We know Grensing would have. When he got here for the 11-12 season, we became a different program. His tougness and rigorous practices made the difference and we started beating P5 teams and getting noticed. It is what it is but we are a dumpster fire now.

When your program is plodding along and not doing well you do not promote from within. When your program is bad ass and one of the reasons is your top assistant then that assistant should probably only not get the job if there is far and away a better candidate.

The only coach who met that criteria on our list was Forbes (and he didn’t bat an eyelash at this job). Maybe Steele (and I don’t know to what degree he was actually interested) and maybe Odom.

Forbes was the only one that - even without an interview - should have been hired over Grensing. Should have been Forbes top of the list, Grensing second and then the other two.

The only reasons I liked Odom better than CNM in comparison is because he has more experience, more polished, comes from coaching bloodlines, and has won at a place that’s really never been a winner before and is a much tougher place to succeed that Asheville. That last point should have not only have tipped the scales but blown it up. What he’s done there would be like Vandy competing in the top half of the SEC every year in football.

But when Forbes was a no Grensing should have been at the top of the last. Damn sure not the current guy and that’s pretty much what I’ve said since the start of all this.

Watching Kermit’s guys just a minute away from knocking off UTK. Hope they can hang on.
I miss him.

Watching Ole Miss play last night brought back memories of many of Kermit's MT teams. An ugly game where you are out manned but win with defense and "toughness". Interesting that Buffin didn't play last night. Didn't catch why.
Related. UGA beat Auburn last night and Fagan was the leasing scorer with 16 pts. on 7 for 10 shooting.

What might have been?

NET Rankings Through Feb 2

67 Marshall
69 UAB
78 Western Kentucky
80 North Texas
109 Louisiana Tech
159 Charlotte
160 Old Dominion
179 UTEP
192 Rice
194 Florida Atlantic
248 UTSA
252 Florida International
261 Southern Miss
309 Middle Tennessee

NET Rankings Through Feb 2

67 Marshall
69 UAB
78 Western Kentucky
80 North Texas
109 Louisiana Tech
159 Charlotte
160 Old Dominion
179 UTEP
192 Rice
194 Florida Atlantic
248 UTSA
252 Florida International
261 Southern Miss
309 Middle Tennessee
And the silence out of Cope and MC is deafening. Unfreakinbelievable.

• Sad
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
I think that they mentioned Buffen had a minor injury.

When your program is plodding along and not doing well you do not promote from within. When your program is bad ass and one of the reasons is your top assistant then that assistant should probably only not get the job if there is far and away a better candidate.

The only coach who met that criteria on our list was Forbes (and he didn’t bat an eyelash at this job). Maybe Steele (and I don’t know to what degree he was actually interested) and maybe Odom.

Forbes was the only one that - even without an interview - should have been hired over Grensing. Should have been Forbes top of the list, Grensing second and then the other two.

The only reasons I liked Odom better than CNM in comparison is because he has more experience, more polished, comes from coaching bloodlines, and has won at a place that’s really never been a winner before and is a much tougher place to succeed that Asheville. That last point should have not only have tipped the scales but blown it up. What he’s done there would be like Vandy competing in the top half of the SEC every year in football.

But when Forbes was a no Grensing should have been at the top of the last. Damn sure not the current guy and that’s pretty much what I’ve said since the start of all this.

As much as it may pain some of you, we should have hired Darrin Horn.
I know he bombed at South Carolina, but guess what: Kermit bombed at A&M.
He knows the territory recruiting-wise, won at a high level at WKU, and in March of 2018 he would have walked here from Austin for the job.
We could still probably get him in the event anyone in Murphy Center ever wakes up and does their actual jobs.
But I’m sure we’ll probably just hire an assistant from IUPUI...

Reactions: BRaiderDave
Yet that “Welcome Back to Murphy” email sent to season ticket holders by the propaganda folks is downright laughable. It’s actually insulting.

yep

Not sure things are that much different from when they made the decision to ban the fans a week after we wrote the checks and chose the seats.

I know that not everyone will agree with this and I may be completely wrong, but I think a really good candidate if we do ever move on from CNM is coaching DII basketball in Tennessee right now. Josh Schertz is the HC at Lincoln Memorial University and in 12 years his record is 318-65 (.830). I have seen them play in person some and they are really good. Their record this year is 15-1. When my sister-in-law played for their women's team the men had an exhibition against Florida State and only lost by 8. Granted it was an exhibition and FSU was 13-17 that year, but we would get blown out by a 13-17 ACC team right now. I honestly do not know why he hasn't had a chance at a higher level or if he even wants one, but you look at Lance Leipold at Buffalo who made the jump from DIII and you see it can work. Just a thought I had.

I know that not everyone will agree with this and I may be completely wrong, but I think a really good candidate if we do ever move on from CNM is coaching DII basketball in Tennessee right now. Josh Schertz is the HC at Lincoln Memorial University and in 12 years his record is 318-65 (.830). I have seen them play in person some and they are really good. Their record this year is 15-1. When my sister-in-law played for their women's team the men had an exhibition against Florida State and only lost by 8. Granted it was an exhibition and FSU was 13-17 that year, but we would get blown out by a 13-17 ACC team right now. I honestly do not know why he hasn't had a chance at a higher level or if he even wants one, but you look at Lance Leipold at Buffalo who made the jump from DIII and you see it can work. Just a thought I had.
Really good suggestion.

Reactions: crposton

Not unprecedented, but uncommon. I made it through the about 100 D1 basketball programs before I stopped and ~5% jumped from D2 or lower to D1 HC. The most common route for these coaches seem to be HC at a lower school, assistant coach at a P5 school, the D1 HC.

He’s in his mid-40s now. If he wants to move, I would expect him to do it soon. The more common path would be him moving to Rick Barnes staff for 2 yearsa, then to a D1 HC job.

My hope is that what ever M&M think, they pull a George Constanza and do the opposite. Their instincts suck. If they don’t think someone like Schertz can do it, then he should get the job. If they think he’s the man for the job, then we should run away like he has the plague. The key is finding out what M&M want and then do the opposite.

My thoughts are this. If we are paying a Top 5 G5 Salary, then we should be able to hire one hell of a coach.

Someone that's a proven winner at a lower level and dominated his competition consistently. That's what I want.

The D2 guy you're talking about from Tennessee certainly sounds interesting.

Not unprecedented, but uncommon. I made it through the about 100 D1 basketball programs before I stopped and ~5% jumped from D2 or lower to D1 HC. The most common route for these coaches seem to be HC at a lower school, assistant coach at a P5 school, the D1 HC.

He’s in his mid-40s now. If he wants to move, I would expect him to do it soon. The more common path would be him moving to Rick Barnes staff for 2 yearsa, then to a D1 HC job.

My hope is that what ever M&M think, they pull a George Constanza and do the opposite. Their instincts suck. If they don’t think someone like Schertz can do it, then he should get the job. If they think he’s the man for the job, then we should run away like he has the plague. The key is finding out what M&M want and then do the opposite.
Oh I agree it would not be a common path, but he is a proven winner. The one "knock" on him is he has not won the DII National Championship. LMU has been runner-up once, but he has been to the NCAA DII tournament 9 out of 12 years and it looks like it will be 10 out of 13 years after this season. Another thing that makes me like him is that although he has found success with D1 transfers, that is not all he has had success with. This year the leading scorer is a D1 transfer, but the next four leading scorers are 1 JUCO guy and 3 players he got from high school. I think he is legit and I think we are either going to have him here or be competing against him very soon.

Interesting. Would definitely rather have someone who has proven they can win consistently; however, my only caution or concern would be is he seems like a system coach. Have a system, know how to find the players that fit it, and it works in the location and league you compete in. This is also how I viewed CNM.

There are lots of coaches like this at the lower levels who can build a winner systematically that doesn’t necessarily translate. Remember Don Meyer at Lipscomb. We will never know if he could have been successful as D1 coach but he obviously had no interest in competing at this level which is why he left when they moved up. It’s very difficult to make a presumption that just because you win in place A means you can win in place B. What goes into hiring coaches is just like anything else in looking for a leader. You have to be able to evaluate whether that individual can build a culture of success, recruit to your school, and have the right acumen of strategic basketball knowledge. And that last one is tough to judge by Gameday. You have to be able to understand that happens in practice, in the weight room and generally the competence with which the program is run. Most ADs don’t do enough homework to that end. The vetting process is difficult and arduous. Cant just hire a guy because he won against weaker competition somewhere else. That’s how you end up with CNM.

Interesting. Would definitely rather have someone who has proven they can win consistently; however, my only caution or concern would be is he seems like a system coach. Have a system, know how to find the players that fit it, and it works in the location and league you compete in. This is also how I viewed CNM.

There are lots of coaches like this at the lower levels who can build a winner systematically that doesn’t necessarily translate. Remember Don Meyer at Lipscomb. We will never know if he could have been successful as D1 coach but he obviously had no interest in competing at this level which is why he left when they moved up. It’s very difficult to make a presumption that just because you win in place A means you can win in place B. What goes into hiring coaches is just like anything else in looking for a leader. You have to be able to evaluate whether that individual can build a culture of success, recruit to your school, and have the right acumen of strategic basketball knowledge. And that last one is tough to judge by Gameday. You have to be able to understand that happens in practice, in the weight room and generally the competence with which the program is run. Most ADs don’t do enough homework to that end. The vetting process is difficult and arduous. Cant just hire a guy because he won against weaker competition somewhere else. That’s how you end up with CNM.

Rick Byrd is a good example of one who made the switch very effectively. Road wins Chapel Hill, Tuscaloosa, Columbia MO,

Byrd was an amazing coaching talent. But that’s the thing. You know what type of culture he had and the way he ran the program because Nashville media loved him. We got insights into how he did things as the average Joe that just aren’t as clear with a coach like the guy at LMU. That’s why an AD has to do that due diligence to truly evaluate whether a guy like that has the ability to win at this level. This is why it’s so hard to do and get right. And there’s also the difference that he didn’t have to employ his style somewhere new at a new place with a different environment, etc. It’s a different equation than hiring someone to a new place.

Reactions: RandallThomason
I am not saying hire the guy tomorrow. I just think he is a guy that should be considered if/when we do move on from CNM.

ADVERTISEMENT