ADVERTISEMENT

Remember, Numbers Don’t Lie

MT01

All American
Aug 1, 2005
Remember everyone the numbers don’t lie. We have officially entered bad SWAC school territory.

90 LT
102 UNT
120 WKU
142 UTEP
147 UNCC
165 ODU
176 UAB
186 MU
194 FIU
196 FAU
210 UTSA
230 Rice
316 USM
319 middle TSU

Reactions: blueraiderJT
Feel like reminiscing...

On this day two years ago we were 28 in the RPI.

On this day three years ago, we were 24.

Today=319.

Reactions: blueraiderJT
And meanwhile in Oxford, someone is struggling and sitting in the bottom of the conference. Hope he enjoys every bit of it. No one deserves it more.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Kind of figured they were looking at an uncomfortable season of growing and learning. The clue was a preseason interview with Kermit and a couple of players. The reporter asked the players question about areas they needed to learn and improve. The players talked about usual things for most teams like shot selection, passing, free throws type things. Those of us here know that was the wrong answer. Kermit looked over to them and said how about defense?

It was obvious they had a long way to go to learn to play successfully for Kermit.

And meanwhile in Oxford, someone is struggling and sitting in the bottom of the conference. Hope he enjoys every bit of it. No one deserves it more.

Schadenfreude-ing the hell out of that.

Not sure if this is ironic in the correct sense of the word, but it was three years ago today that articles were quoting the wku coach saying the 2016-17 Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders would be at least the 3rd best team in the $ec.

Remember everyone the numbers don’t lie. We have officially entered bad SWAC school territory.

90 LT
102 UNT
120 WKU
142 UTEP
147 UNCC
165 ODU
176 UAB
186 MU
194 FIU
196 FAU
210 UTSA
230 Rice
316 USM
319 middle TSU

The state rests it's case your honor. That's all you need to know.

With today’s transfer rules I disagree that it takes 3-4 years to field a quality team in college basketball. Any coach worth his salt with a couple of good assistants scouting the transfer portals should be able to make significant improvements with a couple of good players. Especially in CUSA.

Football is a lot different but 10 years is a bit much. LOL

With today’s transfer rules I disagree that it takes 3-4 years to field a quality team in college basketball. Any coach worth his salt with a couple of good assistants scouting the transfer portals should be able to make significant improvements with a couple of good players. Especially in CUSA.

Football is a lot different but 10 years is a bit much. LOL

Absolutely. Easier to get 5-10 than 105. Even with less than average players, a decent coach would at least teach them how to pass the ball without commiting a turnover or to not jack up a 3 with no one under the basket. You don't need a 4 star athlete to execute basic fundamentals. If that's not even happening, it's all coaching. That's why I have been harsh and so critical.

https://www.dnj.com/story/sports/co...-department-2017-2018-fiscal-year/2812187002/

I want to know the real number. How much is the University pumping into the Athletic Dept. revenue number every year? What is that number???
Seriously, anyone can look at attendance in both major revenue sports, conference revenue shares are down and costs of scholarships and attendance for the student athletes continue to increase.

I maintain that this DNJ article was misleading and doesn’t ask the real question.

The football Head Coach contract is what it is and ain’t changing. The real question going forward for the Board of Trustees is “what is the long range plan to get away from the annual subsidy payment from Cope over to the Murphy Center in order to compete at a Div. 1 level? If not, do we go back to FCS status???” The subsidy that nobody talks about. I maintain it is misleading and is not a true representation of actual revenue generated by our intercollegiate athletics programs.
And what is the actual status of the $100 Million Campaign? Has it died? Before I step in the water again I want to know.
Donors, alumni and supporters deserve the truth.

I’ll wait.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
https://www.dnj.com/story/sports/co...-department-2017-2018-fiscal-year/2812187002/

I want to know the real number. How much is the University pumping into the Athletic Dept. revenue number every year? What is that number???
Seriously, anyone can look at attendance in both major revenue sports, conference revenue shares are down and costs of scholarships and attendance for the student athletes continue to increase.

I maintain that this DNJ article was misleading and doesn’t ask the real question.

The football Head Coach contract is what it is and ain’t changing. The real question going forward for the Board of Trustees is “what is the long range plan to get away from the annual subsidy payment from Cope over to the Murphy Center in order to compete at a Div. 1 level? If not, do we go back to FCS status???” The subsidy that nobody talks about. I maintain it is misleading and is not a true representation of actual revenue generated by our intercollegiate athletics programs. Donors, alumni and supporters deserve the truth.

I’ll wait.

How much money do you really save by going back to FCS? I would say none, because you still have the none revenue sports that have to be funded and budgets in men's and women's basketball that are huge. You still at some point have to make the upgrades to the football and basketball programs or you will be behind most of the top FCS programs in football.

How much money do you really save by going back to FCS? I would say none, because you still have the none revenue sports that have to be funded and budgets in men's and women's basketball that are huge. You still at some point have to make the upgrades to the football and basketball programs or you will be behind most of the top FCS programs in football.
The travel expenses alone for the OVC are nowhere near CUSA. And 22 fewer football full scholarships.

”Football — D-I football programs are divided into FBS and FCS. The 128 FBS programs can award financial aid to as many as 85 players, with each player able to receive up to a full scholarship. The 124 FCS programs can award up to the equivalent of 63 full scholarships, divided among no more than 85 individuals.”

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
I would dare to venture a guess that a big chunk if not most D1 programs receive at least some $$ from their university. Unless there are big changes to Title IX, that isn't likely to change anytime soon.

I understand the questions about sources of funding. I'm just saying Title IX is the main culprit in that issue.

I also suspect that in the coming years higher ed will likely become a focus of national attention specifically over handling of finances.

The travel expenses alone for the OVC are nowhere near CUSA. And 22 fewer football full scholarships.

”Football — D-I football programs are divided into FBS and FCS. The 128 FBS programs can award financial aid to as many as 85 players, with each player able to receive up to a full scholarship. The 124 FCS programs can award up to the equivalent of 63 full scholarships, divided among no more than 85 individuals.”

Gotcha, but the facilities upgrade will still have to happen. I see what these FCS programs are doing and building around the country. You better hope you can get back into the OVC as they are the ones that are lagging in upgrades.

I would dare to venture a guess that a big chunk if not most D1 programs receive at least some $$ from their university. Unless there are big changes to Title IX, that isn't likely to change anytime soon.

I understand the questions about sources of funding. I'm just saying Title IX is the main culprit in that issue.

I also suspect that in the coming years higher ed will likely become a focus of national attention specifically over handling of finances.

I’m sure many AD’s get support from the admin side of the school. But to puff out your chest and claim “breakeven” for three straight years is flat out misleading. People like me who still attend games and see the actual paying customer numbers know it’s not correct.

I’m a football fan as well but it sure is a lot more fun following Belmont Basketball knowing they will at least compete for the OVC Title every season and usually win it to go to the dance. Following MTSU Football the past 10 years has been difficult. We have two shared Conf. titles in 20 seasons of FBS.

I can't believe the conversation about dropping football to FCS is even happening. Not saying it shouldn't be happening (even though I want no part of dropping it), but I'm just in disbelief it's gotten this bad.

I can't believe the conversation about dropping football to FCS is even happening. Not saying it shouldn't be happening (even though I want no part of dropping it), but I'm just in disbelief it's gotten this bad.
Our current HC shared a SunBelt title in his first season. Has only sniffed one other opportunity in 13 seasons and whiffed that one even with “home field advantage” which for MT is an oxymoron.

At one time I would have given up FB to be a national brand in BkB. But, there are no national brands (St. Johns - Seaton Hall, Marquitte, etc.) who do not play D-1 FB in our region of the country. There once were nationally respected programs in the south for various periods of time (Jacksonville, UNCC, WKU, USA, UAB) but after the $EC and other power conferences started putting $$$ in BkB they quickly started dominating in BkB.
IMHO it would be a futile effort to give up FB in the hopes of becoming a nationally branded BkB school.

Reactions: coachchia
IMHO it would be a futile effort to give up FB in the hopes of becoming a nationally branded BkB school.

I don't think it would help much, if at all.

I just have ZERO interest in an FCS football program. Actually zero.

No point in playing at that point IMO.

I don't think it would help much, if at all.

I just have ZERO interest in an FCS football program. Actually zero.

No point in playing at that point IMO.

I disagree.

If we aren’t going to try, and with 7-Wood, his cuck and Mr. 500 in place we are not, I would rather compete for a FCS championship than make it to .500 in FBS and go to the FisherPrice Insurance of Omaha Tater Bowl against a 7-5 MAC team.

I would rather play Chattanooga, Tech, ETSU and Austin Peay every year than UTEP, Rice, and the F_U schools.

I agree, FBS has failed so far with the 3 stooges in charge.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
I disagree.

If we aren’t going to try, and with 7-Wood, his cuck and Mr. 500 in place we are not, I would rather compete for a FCS championship than make it to .500 in FBS and go to the FisherPrice Insurance of Omaha Tater Bowl against a 7-5 MAC team.

I would rather play Chattanooga, Tech, ETSU and Austin Peay every year than UTEP, Rice, and the F_U schools.

I agree, FBS has failed so far with the 3 stooges in charge.
I’m more inclined to pay to see us beat the crap out of old OVC rivals again and would even travel to FCS playoff destinations.
It sure beats getting our ass beat by a first year Charlotte coach just one year removed from APSU. As alumni and fans we deserve better.
And for the people in charge to continue to tout their few accomplishments and continue to ignore the obvious instead of addressing the elephant taking a crap in the room is well, mediocre and middling rationalization.

I’m more inclined to pay to see us beat the crap out of old OVC rivals again and would even travel to FCS playoff destinations. It sure beats getting our ass beat by a first year Charlotte coach just one year removed from APSU.
McPhee might be banking on it

And in no time, MTSU would be .500 in FCS with the same bunch of losers in charge. With even more empty seats. No, check that, the losers would simply remove stadium seats to remedy that little problem.

And in no time, MTSU would be .500 in FCS with the same bunch of losers in charge. With even more empty seats. No, check that, the losers would simply remove stadium seats to remedy that little problem.

Absolutely. Does anything think we'd revert to anything but the mean of wherever we're playing? We need change for sure - but not a change back to FCS. Talk about irrelevancy.

Hey if Kermit busts out at Ole Miss in, say, two more years - maybe there’s an opening in the Murph lol?

Y’all talk all you want - but you’d welcome that man back with open arms.

Hey if Kermit busts out at Ole Miss in, say, two more years - maybe there’s an opening in the Murph lol?

Y’all talk all you want - but you’d welcome that man back with open arms.

Sure would

SpaceRaider said:

C-Bow said:

Y’all talk all you want - but you’d welcome that man back with open arms.[/quote]

There was a wise Amercan literary giant who once wrote "you can't go home again"
[/quote]
I seem to recall a great lyrical giant proclaiming “Who says you can’t go home?”

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT