ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING Regular signing period starts February 5 and ends April 1, 2020

signees so far today

Amir Rasul, RB, grad Transfer from Florida State

Bryce Bailey, WR, Bleckley County (Cochran, GA)

Davon Martin, DB, Edgewater (Orlando, FL)

Devyn Curtis, LB, Brentwood Academy

Drew Francis, LB, West (Knoxville)

Tyrece Edwards, DE, West (Knoxville)

JaMichael Thompson, WR, Clay-Chalkville (AL)

Martell Pettaway, RB, Transfer from West Virginia

Frank Peasant, LB, Escambia (Pensacola, FL)

Curtis from BA is the highest rivals rating 5.7 of the spring and MT only got in on him in the last couple of weeks. Big Tommy West connection there. Father played at Clemson for West in the 1980s.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sp...nebacker-devyn-curtis-signed-mtsu/4642276002/

Curtis said the Blue Raiders began recruiting him a week ago.

"Turns out, coach Tommy West coached my dad (at Clemson)," Curtis said. "They found out my recruitment was still open, so he jumped on me. It was a family environment."

link

Transfer Portal News:

Amir Rasul is one of the fastest players in the country. He’s looking for a place to actually get to use that speed.

A four-star prospect in the 2016 class who ranked as the No. 221 overall prospect in the 247Sports Composite, Rasul opted to transfer from Florida State in February. Rasul never really worked his way into Willie Taggart’s running back rotation with just 10 carries in 11 games last season.

Rasul is looking for an opportunity to get back on the field.

“Going into the season I saw some things that were going on at Florida State, and it wasn’t getting better for me out there,” Rasul told 247Sports last week. “I came to Florida State with the intention to play. I only received 10 carries last season. When I was with Jimbo I got (33) carries. I was still able to play with those carries along with kickoff returns and some other things on special teams.

“I just really came to Florida State to play and put myself out there.”

That fully summarizes Rasul’s recruiting priorities the second time around. The former four-star prospect has been in contact with a number of FBS programs, and he hopes to start taking visits soon.

Programs recruiting the hardest include: Florida Atlantic, Mississippi State, Baylor and Florida International. Rasul said he’d like to visit all four schools.

“The one thing I’m looking for at the next school is honesty and the feeling of trust,” Rasul said. “I feel as though with everything going on, we kind of lost our way at Florida State. That’s just really what I’m looking for going into next year.”

Rasul said he will graduate by the end of the summer with a degree in Information Communication and Technology. He’ll have one year of eligibility remaining.

The Miami native is already fueling up for his return to the field. He’s been working out with a track coach at home pairing that with his regular lifting and drill work. Rasul said he’s excited to find a new home and field regular touches again.

“I plan to be hell on earth when I get back on the field,” Rasul said.

whats up with terry wilkins?

he's the one guy i wanted to make sure we signed....

This shows how sad of state the program is in. Really no one is excited it's signing day.

Curtis from BA is the highest rivals rating 5.7 of the spring and MT only got in on him in the last couple of weeks. Big Tommy West connection there. Father played at Clemson for West in the 1980s.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sp...nebacker-devyn-curtis-signed-mtsu/4642276002/

Curtis said the Blue Raiders began recruiting him a week ago.

"Turns out, coach Tommy West coached my dad (at Clemson)," Curtis said. "They found out my recruitment was still open, so he jumped on me. It was a family environment."

And this highlights one of the frustrations that we fans share. Don't get me wrong because this young man looks like a great addition. Glad to have him as a Blue Raider. However, we started recruiting him a week ago? And this only after we found out he was available?

Not that we didn't already know, but local/area recruiting is sad. We even had a connection to this young man who was on a lot a people's radar, yet we hadn't even made an effort to say hello until last week?

We have some solid kids who are being recruited under our nose that can help generate local interest in the program, yet we choose to beat out FCS level competition hundreds of miles away.

On paper today's haul looks promising. But this signing proves to me that we aren't working hard enough in our own backyard.

The additional signees were much better than I expected. Will discuss them more in detail later, and the class as a whole.

With regards to the big surprise, Devyn Curtis, we would have not gotten him if there was just 1 signing day in February like there used to be. He took a while to make his decision, and it sounds like a lot of his options dried up, and we jumped in at the right time. I'm sure he still had some Power 5 offers, but you have to think some dried up with him waiting so long. Tommy West connection obviously helped, and I'm guessing he really wanted to stay in-state and be closer to home. With the Vols not recruiting him, MT looked like a great fit. Great grab for us.

Last edited:
The additional signees were much better than I expected. Will discuss them more in detail later, and the class as a whole.

With regards to the big surprise, Devyn Curtis, we would have not gotten him if there was just 1 signing day in February like there used to be. He took a while to make his decision, and it sounds like a lot of his options dried up, and we jumped in at the right time. I'm sure he still had some Power 5 offers, but you have to think some dried up with him waiting so long. Tommy West connection obviously helped, and I'm guessing he really wanted to stay in-state and be closer to home. With the Vols not recruiting him, MT looked like a great fit. Great grab for us.
Agreed. Looks like a good haul. No QB is a big concern considering we only have one with any real experience and he runs ALOT. Lots of good looking LB’s. 2 senior transfer RB’s were needed but thought we would look for a HS kid although the Pleasent kid may end up there. I liked it.

Agreed. Looks like a good haul. No QB is a big concern considering we only have one with any real experience and he runs ALOT. Lots of good looking LB’s. 2 senior transfer RB’s were needed but thought we would look for a HS kid although the Pleasent kid may end up there. I liked it.

In the video of CRS's press conference this afternoon, he mentioned a QB, not announced, that will be blue shirting and will count towards the 2021 class.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...a-football-grayshirt-blueshirt-redshirt-rules

Rick said they signed a QB, but since he will "blue shirt" (won't join the team until next years class, I think) Rick can't talk about him.

I get that but who has a good feeling about the position going into 2020?.?.?

This board used to be so busy on signing day with so many posts. Excitement, optimism, people talking about the skill set of incoming players.Now it’s so quiet. Really weird how things have settled down.

Breakdown By State

Florida (7)
Georgia (6)
Tennessee (4)
South Carolina (2)
Alabama (1)
Illinois (1)
Kentucky (1)

Pettaway with a healthy Mobley is going to have an impact. Same OL coaching and the same sitiational playcalling is what plagues us. We have plenty of talent. Speed everywhere. That's not our issue. Bad coaching is.

We'll see. Another losing season will turn up the heat a little though. We will have to really suffer for a change to occur.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315

The thing that caught my eye in this article. Wonder what they promised? I hope they told him the truth and there is something coming but with this leadership in place I won't believe it until I see it. Also, I agree on Fla recruiting.

"The campus is real nice and they are adding a new facility by my sophomore year."

Yesterday we were second. Today we are fourth after it looks like we went from 22 signees to 19. These recruiting sites are like snake oil.

The ratings really are bad. The more players you sign, the better your class is. Average star rating is what’s important. Even then, it doesn’t take into account the difference between a 5.4 2 star and a 5.3 or 5.2 2 star. Same can be said for the 3 star talent, which widely varies. I think 247 sports might be better for aggregate rankings. I need to see if volume matters when they do their rankings.

Just know this, we had a great class that filled all our needs. Staff must like Randall Johnson’s progression since no QB in this class.

This board used to be so busy on signing day with so many posts. Excitement, optimism, people talking about the skill set of incoming players.Now it’s so quiet. Really weird how things have settled down.

Well that is likely because the February signing day is now an afterthought since the early signing period became a reality. All boards and newspapers in the past were filled with topics but kind of a non-event now.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT