ADVERTISEMENT

BB RECRUITING Regular signing period starts April 17, 2019

I don't think there is any question we need a transfer forward or center that can play immediately. Maybe even 2.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I think we are all in agreement if someone left it would be Massenburg. I sure hope the transfer out was a mutual decision.
I appreciate the tweet and wish him well. I do wonder where he can go and not lose another year since he red-shirted his first year at MT.
And yes, we desperately need to sign a "big" who can contribute immediately.

coaches will typically tell a player he doesn't see much, if any, playing time in the future for them. This is a kind way of asking them to transfer, and it usually works. I'm guessing that's probably what happened here. Very classy of Mr. Massenburg to take it in stride and leave on good terms. Wish him well and hopefully playing somewhere else, maybe in a different system, will benefit him. I do think he has some potential in terms of defense and rebounding where he can contribute somewhere.

doesn't make sense for either to transfer. anyone have any inkling as to why? Butler was a 3 point assassin in JUCO ball and Farquhar got a lot of PT as a freshman where he showed good defensive and rebounding prowess. All he needed was to work on his offensive game. Both transfers don't make any sense?

The only thing I think of is that we feel confident that we may get some late 2019 guys coming in that are better for the system or grades.

Farquhar has to be grades. I know he was a fringe qualifier to begin with.

If Farquhar and Butler leaving are true, then that makes 8 players in less than a year that have either been kicked off or transferred. That ain't good.

Not impressed with the Tyler Millin offer either. We better make some noise in the transfer portal with a couple of the spots.

At least the roster will be littered with McDevitt guys. Im sure he was almost forced to sign Butler and Farquhar as we were looking for bodies.

Long time posters will remember that I hate players leaving and in having any players for less than 2 years and then only to fill an immediate need. That's my ideal world but I realize that is not reality today. MT's best success has come with end of career "one and done" players. I also realize McDevitt had to do all he could just to put a team on the floor and I'm sure in a perfect situation he would have been able to recruit differently.

I'm OK with Massingburg leaving - Very little progress with a red-shirt year and one year on the floor. A shame for a player who in some circles was rated highly for a mid-major program to sign.
As for Butler - never saw him play - have no opinion except every time the red-shirts were mentioned we were led to believe all 3 (+ the early arrival from H. S.) were better than who were playing last year and all would have significant minutes next year.
Farquhar - reminds me of several players of his size I've witnessed who obviously were good high school scorers but because of their lack of outside shooting ability can't adjust to being on the perimeter in college. IMHO it wouldn't be hard for him to be recruited over.
Good luck to them all, thanks for their efforts for MT, and to McDevitt: bring some players in who will both be immediate help and will show your recruiting acumen.

Not sure what to think here. Not much info out there on this guy, and his clips are just dunk reels of him taking advantage of poor competition. Could be a skilled lefty and certainly has nice size but I remain skeptical of this whole big guard recruitment approach. Power 5 schools have a hard time finding big skilled guards so it's hard to imagine how we are going to do so. Gotta trust in CNM I guess.

We need some dogs on the offensive side of the ball who can get us some tough baskets in crunch time. We really struggled offensively last year any time we faced a defense with a pulse.

CNM has found some gems in the past. Hope that is what he is doing. Either that or hoping this guy and Crump can bulk up some and be stretch forwards.

Signing definitely has potential, and UIC and Hofstra are no joke of programs despite playing in lower level conferences. UIC is extremely athletic and Hofstra runs a major high up-tempo offense and had a fantastic team this year. Just gotta give CNM his time and trust in him I guess. Sure would like to see more 3 star and more highly recruited kids signed though, especially big men.

I'll never understand how WKU can do what they do while we are relegated to primarily 2 star players.

Signing definitely has potential, and UIC and Hofstra are no joke of programs despite playing in lower level conferences. UIC is extremely athletic and Hofstra runs a major high up-tempo offense and had a fantastic team this year. Just gotta give CNM his time and trust in him I guess. Sure would like to see more 3 star and more highly recruited kids signed though, especially big men.

I'll never understand how WKU can do what they do while we are relegated to primarily 2 star players.
I think you know the answer to the WKU question...$$$

Looks like some movement to add a couple more players. Kind of glad to see it. Let's face it, CNM was trying to fill a roster late in the recruiting process.

Of the potentially departing players, those really aren't surprise. Those young men can pursue options elsewhere with better chances for playing time. MT gets some open slots to try to recruit some high quality players that can improve the team's performance overall.

After CNM has been here a few years, I would hope to see less departures. This year, it is totally understandable and likely better for all parties involved.

Hopefully, at least 1 if not 2 more frontcourt players can be landed. The team seems to be getting a bunch of Gs and SFs that fit the bill of CNM preferences. Now for 1 or 2 6-8+ players who can play right away or at least reasonably compete while developing and growing over freshman year.

I'm still optimistic that this is a growing and developing team that will keep getting better.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
We desperately need some bigger post players. We were outmatched offensively and defensively down low many times this past year. Hopefully, McDevitt tries to get some of these players.

Does anyone know how many scholarships we have left and who we are targeting?

Prior to the three leaving we were at the 13 max. With Millin signing we have two to give. I have no idea who we are after. Very little info gets out compared to recent staff. I'm sure some who keep up better and frequent paid sites have more info than me.

I just can't get over how good Dexter Dennis looks @ Wichita State. HE IS A DAMN SUPERSTAR. He will be playing 82 games a season if he keeps this up.

What is the story behind him and why didn't he come here? Anyone know?

I just can't get over how good Dexter Dennis looks @ Wichita State. HE IS A DAMN SUPERSTAR. He will be playing 82 games a season if he keeps this up.

What is the story behind him and why didn't he come here? Anyone know?
Other than Wichita State being a much, much better basketball program playing in a basketball strong conference against greater competition with greater exposure I have no idea.

Just so I keep my count right if Junior does not transfer (not official yet) then we are back to max scholarships right? That would mean the first 11 games we would have only Dishman and Jackson (Fr) as our only forwards. Sure we have tall guards, but they are skinny. If Jackson or Dishman get in foul trouble I am not seeing any of them being able to compete down low.

Just so I keep my count right if Junior does not transfer (not official yet) then we are back to max scholarships right? That would mean the first 11 games we would have only Dishman and Jackson (Fr) as our only forwards. Sure we have tall guards, but they are skinny. If Jackson or Dishman get in foul trouble I am not seeing any of them being able to compete down low.

Yeah, were screwed if we don't sign another forward.

I guess the only thing I can think is Milner is 6'6" 205 and Hawthorne was 6'7" 210 and if Crump can add 10 lbs. he will be like 6'8" 205. Definitely not big, but that might be the plan. Maybe it would be best if Junior decides to transfer and we can bring in a forward who can compete right away. We are definitely not short on guards.

Another guard, but still no PF/C. Not what I was hoping to see. Lack of true frontcourt players at this level is unacceptable. Before I get all negative, this is early in the off-season moves and reshuffling. Hopefully, CNM has plans in the works to bring in one or two frontcourt players.

Each year under Kermit, it would seem like the team was out of roster space with some shortage somewhere. Usually by summer, some moves and shuffling of the roster would result in seemingly adding some new player unexpectedly.

Hate to break it to you guys but it looks like sights are set on another guard.

One of my sources said the staff feels very good about the five frontcourt players they have. Now...who those 5 players are is beyond me. Looks like the deck my get shuffled around next year.

If I were to guess the five would be Dishman, Scurry, Jackson, Milner, and one of Crump, Millin or Jayce. Hell if Jayce grows and inch and adds 10 lbs. (which he has the frame to do) he will be Dishman’s size.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT