ADVERTISEMENT

Reed Blankenship

At the VT game last year, had a buddy with me that hadn't seen him play in person. I pointed out ole #12 and to watch him, that he would be playing on Sundays. He was amazed how Reed was literally on the ball every play. Asked if he is like that every game, I said yup.

I do worry the toll on his body. Like Roy Williams was with his hits. Like said above, get that $ while you can! I'm a 3rd Gen Cowboys fan (yes Titans are #2, and when Jerry is running his mouth, #1) and hate the Eagles, but I'll pull for him.

Side note for MT signings. Reviewed Giants cuts. Richie James was not listed as a cut. Believe he made final 53. If so believe that gives us 5 in NFL? Ward now in San Fran, Harris at KC, Blankenship, Byard, & James with Giants. Would like to know full total if missed anyone. Anyway, We're starting to develop a talent pool with the big boys.👍

Really wanted DQ Thomas make a roster. 6' 2" is excellent height for a legit LB, but believe his listed weight of 216 was too light for these coaches who rely on their ideal stat sheets too much. If he had put on 15-20 lbs of meat & muscle in off season he would at least been on practice squad somewhere. Even those dudes make buck now. Still have fingers crossed for him

I hope, and really believe, that Reed will be as great an ambassador for MT as Byard is. As they say, all your dreams can be achieved at MT.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
Really wanted DQ Thomas make a roster. 6' 2" is excellent height for a legit LB, but believe his listed weight of 216 was too light for these coaches who rely on their ideal stat sheets too much. If he had put on 15-20 lbs of meat & muscle in off season he would at least been on practice squad somewhere. Even those dudes make buck now. Still have fingers crossed for him

DQ signed back with the Jets practice squad. He had a good preseason.

Good for him.

From the Eagles website:

LINK: 53 Man Roster

Safety (4)
Reed Blankenship
Marcus Epps
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
K'Von Wallace

"It's unbelievable. Reed is one of those guys, he started the last man in that group, and every day, like Coach (Sirianni) says, we evaluate practice every day, we evaluate everything he did, and he continued to show up. He had a feel," Roseman said. "I don't want to put too high expectations on him, but he kind of reminded me of a guy like Quintin Mikell who we had here. He has physical tools, but he's always around the ball, and credit to him and our coaches for putting him in position to make plays. We wanted to recognize that because we had a smaller draft class, we wanted to give everyone an opportunity to make this team."

Thanks for Reed's Eagles highlights video. The head on de-cleating tackle was a thing of beauty. As commentator said, that tackle alone would be cause for making the team. Congrats Reed.

This is going way back, but Blankenship reminds me so much of Bill Bates. Bill was an undrafted safety from Tenn in '83. He was a mad man tackler from safety & special teams position just like Reed. He absolutely loved Bill Bates. Wish the old coach was still around to watch Reed on Sunday's. Got a feeling he's got some All Madden in him

Apologies, forgot to mention it was John Madden that loved how Bates played. Haha

He looked like he was shot out of a cannon on the interception and tackle for loss. What a great game he had! We got some great pub from Tirico as he mentioned "Middle Tennessee" (not state) and Scott Shafer being DC and former Syracuse coach. IIRC Tirico is a Syracuse grad.

Seen a number of preseason & now in season youtube clips of Blankenship in action with Eagle fan responses. They love the way he hits & plays, seems like he's getting his own little fan club up there already. Listening to his post game interview responses it's really hard not to like the young man. There's a difference between someone who's known as a good football player, & then the player that just loves playing the game just for the sake of playing. That's Reed

Ouch!!!
Reed just got steamrolled by Giants QB, Davis Webb for a TD.

Brought back memories of Herschel Walker’s first Georgia score over Bill Bates in Knoxville.

We will see how he does in the playoffs, then an entire offseason to learn and get better. This will be fun to watch!

Reactions: Hop45
He looked really good Saturday night.

It really makes you wonder how many good players are just never given a proper opportunity to succeed. Not just MT alumni, but everywhere. Look at Brock Purdy, who looks really solid and could take his team to the SB. Nobody ever expected that.

It really makes you wonder how many good players are just never given a proper opportunity to succeed.
There are several football leagues where players like Kurt Warner and Warren Moon have refined their skills before moving on to the NFL.

Reed made the final tackle today, causing a fumble, and recovering it himself to give the Eagles the ball back late in the game. Mostly played special teams today, but still making the most of his opportunities!

The video replay I saw he knocked Brock Purdys arm and that put him out of the game. Purdy being knocked out by Reed crushed the 49 ER O.

The video replay I saw he knocked Brock Purdys arm and that put him out of the game. Purdy being knocked out by Reed crushed the 49 ER O.
Not taking anything away from Reed, but Haason Reddick was the one that hit Purdy's arm, effectively ending the Niners' season.

ADVERTISEMENT