ADVERTISEMENT

Recent news about our local rivals

MTFNBY5

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2005
A recent article within the last week in The Tennessean was on a $5,000,000 donation to the VU men's BkB program by an alumni who became a fan during VU's F-Troop days (showing he is of my generation). Although this person lives in Seattle Washington where his investment business is located he has remained a VU BkB fan.
Brings up the question has the MT athletic dept ever, ever, received a five million dollar donation? I wonder if we've ever received a total of that amount in any calendar year? I realize we got substantial donations for the HOF building, the baseball renovation, and the women's BkB complex renovation in The Murph but did any of them include an individual donation of multiple millions? Do we even have an alumni who became a fan during his time on campus who has the wherewithal to donate five million dollars?

And this morning we have an article on Belmont building a new 35,000 sq. ft. two story practice facility for M & W's BkB and Volleyball. Price wasn't given (photos look nice) but the building is financed through private donations and student fees. Completion date was given as Fall of 2021. Belmont's AD was quoted as the facility upgrade was necessary to entice recruits and show they intended to compete for championships. (Gotta think Curb was already equal to their OVC counterparts' BkB facilities)

Yet MT has nothing, nothing except a few drawings at this time on proposed improvements. Fellow fans: It's all about the benjamins and don't have them (and apparently the PTB in Cope and Murphy Ctr. either don't know where to look or have exhausted their options). I don't have any solution. Do we just give up and fold up the athletic program? At the rate we're going we will soon be competing in D-3 with Martin Methodist, Cumberland, and Sewanee.

ADVERTISEMENT