ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING Recapping MTSU's 2021 Signing Class

I'm looking forward to the annual breakdown of the class by Wiley.

I'm looking forward to the annual breakdown of the class by Wiley.

I can do a few position groups at a time. Tyler Pellom did a great job on breaking it down, but I'll give you my personal unfiltered opinions if you want them.

The first thing that screams out to me, is this is a win-now-at-all-costs class. Very few high school players signing. Lots of transfers and senior hold-overs. Rick wants an experience loaded roster and wants to win now.

QB: Everyone wants to talk about Bailey Hockman. He is the big time 4 star transfer who won 8 games at NC State last year. There is a lot of hype around this transfer but I'm in a wait-and-see-mode personally. We are his 4th college as he has ran from anywhere that doesn't basically guarantee him the starting job, and while he did win 8 games at NC State last year he was essentially a game manager throughout his career there throwing for 2600 yards, 14 touchdowns, and 15 interceptions in 2 seasons @ NC State. Those are not exactly eye-popping, get your pants wet numbers. His final game at NC State, where he faced Kentucky in a bowl game, ended with him throwing 3 INT's in a 23-21 loss. It was an ugly ending and the writing was on the wall that the coaching staff wanted to move on. So he entered the portal, and here he is. He will almost assuredly be our starter as Rick has shown in his 2 decades here that he values experience and age. Coaches play who they trust, and there's nobody else on the roster that will instill more trust than Hockman. I remain skeptical though, this guy is no Brent Stockstill, yet.

There's a big ceiling with Hockman though, and with better coaching he really might be able to turn a corner here at MT against lesser competition, assuming he will have time to throw behind our OL. Dearman has stated he wants to focus on the run game, a downhill run game at that, and if we can get a run game going and force defenses to load the box, Hockman certainly can deliver down the field to our loaded WR group. He has all the measureable tools to be successful if he can improve his decision making and our coaching staff and OL can put him in a position to succeed.

Nick Vattiato: This kid really intrigues me. The knock on him is obviously his size, but he has surprisingly good arm strength for a smaller player. Hopefully he grows a little bit more. He faced some very stiff competition while @ TRU Prep Academy and more than held his own. His film reminds me of watching MT because his OL is bad and he's constantly pressured and on the run for his life. So if our OL woes don't improve, we could see him sooner rather than later. Major flashes of Austin Grammer with this guy, but more accurate and hopefully better decision making. He makes quick decisions with the ball, can scramble, and has serious wheels for a QB. I could see the staff possibly building packages around him in a down-hill running scheme.

RB: None signed! But both transfers are supposedly returning for 2021 so we'll see what happens. It's been a while since we've had a work horse like Benny Cunningham or I'Tavius Mathers.....we are due for an Alpha RB.

more later

Good write up. I think we are all excited about Hockman but I agree let’s see. 4 colleges makes you wonder. It does seem we will have some good WRs and an improved OL so my expectation is to improve a lot over last year. QB play has been so weak before and after Brent I’m excited to see what he can do.

looking forward to the WR breakdowns.

Really hope these JUCO kids can play. We need immediate impact. The Kansas flip at CB looks like a player and early starter. Hope these 2 RB’s that say last year can play. I assume they can and will which is why the McDonald kid left. The WR from GA could play soon too. Also, is the kid that came from Auburn last year at WR that sat out still around. Heard he was a big time athlete.

We might have the most talented WR Corp in history on this roster.

I’m not saying they will produce like Calico, Newsome, or Kerry Wright did because we don’t have as potent an offense as we used to...

but from a pure talent standpoint, we are simply loaded at WR. And I mean loaded. Both young and experienced players.

it’s going to be a real shame if we can’t get the QB and OL situations figured out because there are some serious studs at WR on this team.

Did Pierce also decide to return? They all got an extra year right or am I wrong? Getting Ali back from the portal is great too. He is a baller. Windham has yet to be a complete WR. He has flashes of greatness but his career has been plagued with inconsistency and injuries. I'm hoping he has the best year ever.

Funny opening to the video. Starts out with them in masks, Chip gives his intro, Stock starts talking and then rips off his mask mid sentence.

Why start the show with a mask if you are just going to rip it off? Ugh, so professional.

Really hope these JUCO kids can play. We need immediate impact. The Kansas flip at CB looks like a player and early starter. Hope these 2 RB’s that say last year can play. I assume they can and will which is why the McDonald kid left. The WR from GA could play soon too. Also, is the kid that came from Auburn last year at WR that sat out still around. Heard he was a big time athlete.
Ja'Shawn Sheffield is still listed on the roster...we will have to dig to see if he's still on campus.

Ja'Shawn Sheffield is still listed on the roster...we will have to dig to see if he's still on campus.

This is the kid that played in the GISA an independent league in GA, where most of the schools are like Providence Christian in Rutherford County. Most kids from GISA never contribute, i hope he can turn it own.

This is the kid that played in the GISA an independent league in GA, where most of the schools are like Providence Christian in Rutherford County. Most kids from GISA never contribute, i hope he can turn it own.
Appreciate the insight into GA HS athletics.

We will see if, when, and how he contributes this spring & fall.

The kid was hella fast, I hope he can contribute.

The GISA 8 man football is awesome. I enjoyed seeing it, by accident, the year before last. I’m kind of spoiled in my area. I live in a spot that is literally less than 5 miles from N Gwinnett, Collins Hill, Mountain View, Lanier and Buford school districts, so football Friday night tends to be a sea of future P5 studs. I have lost perspective on D1 talent because so many kids that don’t stand out here are being recruited compared to where I grew up - there were so few D1 players you knew them when you see them.

Reactions: mtfblue
We are back baby! Bailey going to be holding court and recking teams! Will give to renew season tickets and BRAA. Hendrix club is up next! Who is with me?

Reactions: SubwayAlumni
The GISA 8 man football is awesome. I enjoyed seeing it, by accident, the year before last. I’m kind of spoiled in my area. I live in a spot that is literally less than 5 miles from N Gwinnett, Collins Hill, Mountain View, Lanier and Buford school districts, so football Friday night tends to be a sea of future P5 studs.

I'll be..... I live in flowery branch if you ever wanna get together for a game. That would be fun.

Reactions: RaiderDawg78
I suspect it was a big middle finger to that piece of crap Tony Franklin

Probably. But this is also the same team that had shut the program down early and couldn’t finish the season because they couldn’t prevent infection from continuing run rampant. I wonder why?

Spoke with CM last night at the MBB. We did win!
CM alluded to massive issues with TF and that he had the entire FB team in war against each other. We will see of coaching changes in FB make difference. The mask was a TFFU!

Probably. But this is also the same team that had shut the program down early and couldn’t finish the season because they couldn’t prevent infection from continuing run rampant. I wonder why?

FAU, Charlotte, FIU, Vandy, etc. all had the same issues.

Spoke with CM last night at the MBB. We did win!
CM alluded to massive issues with TF and that he had the entire FB team in war against each other. We will see of coaching changes in FB make difference. The mask was a TFFU!

Sounds like the AD is trying to scape goat everyone but himself.......

I'm sorry but I'm not blaming our crappy teams the last 2-3 years on TF alone. Sure, he's been mailing it in but this teams problems ran and continue to run much deeper than Tony Franklin.

Getting a new OC and replacing Silvoy with Brent was a good start, but there's still plenty of fat to trim on the football program (Mallory, West, Polly....I'm looking at you)

I'm sorry but I'm not blaming our crappy teams the last 2-3 years on TF alone. Sure, he's been mailing it in but this teams problems ran and continue to run much deeper than Tony Franklin.

Getting a new OC and replacing Silvoy with Brent was a good start, but there's still plenty of fat to trim on the football program (Mallory, West, Polly....I'm looking at you)

If we dumped them for younger coaches, we would be in such a better place.

Silvoy was a solid WR coach who was ready for the next step in his career. FCS OC is a good place for him at this point. Look forward to seeing what he can do running his own offense.

Brent, FWIW, is going to be a good WR coach this year. He'll have growing pains, but I think he's gonna be great on recruiting trail as well.

Mallory and West need to be replaced. And I could get stoned for suggesting this, but I think Stock would be a BETTER HC if he was willing to cut ties with the staffers holding him back (West, Mallory, etc). If Stock upgraded the staff and served as "CEO", he may be able to right the ship.

Right now, however, Stock is too loyal to guys holding the program and the players back.

Silvoy was a solid WR coach who was ready for the next step in his career. FCS OC is a good place for him at this point. Look forward to seeing what he can do running his own offense.

Brent, FWIW, is going to be a good WR coach this year. He'll have growing pains, but I think he's gonna be great on recruiting trail as well.

Mallory and West need to be replaced. And I could get stoned for suggesting this, but I think Stock would be a BETTER HC if he was willing to cut ties with the staffers holding him back (West, Mallory, etc). If Stock upgraded the staff and served as "CEO", he may be able to right the ship.

Right now, however, Stock is too loyal to guys holding the program and the players back.

I agree with all of this.

Part of being a CEO is recognizing issues & having the guts to make moves that are necessary even if it means firing someone you like. If he fired West & Mallory, I would actually be excited for this season. Instead, it looks like the only moves he made are moves he is forced to & he gets the personal pleasure of coaching with his son for it. Instead of the wise CEO, he looks like the stubborn, selfish mediocre player’s coach he has always been.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT