ADVERTISEMENT

realignment not over

Just like I've been saying. It's gonna a be B10 and SEC playing for it all and the rest. P3, and G5, will be left in the cold.

1496 miles from LA to Lincoln. That is crazy. And here I thought the 861 from Morgantown to Ames was nuts. $$ talks is right.

Seems dumb as hell to me. Why would you put schools in conferences that are, quite literally, across the country from one another?

Think about travel for non-revenue sports....so stupid.

Major college sports are being ruined right before our eyes in the name of the almighty dollar to benefit the Top 1% of schools and athletes.

Before this news, it reported that the B10 was getting TV money of 100m per school. so with adding the #2 TV market along with #1 and #3, that number will go up. I look for the SEC to look at Miami and UNC now and that will lock up all southeastern and south central markets, so they could be over 100m per as well.

Reactions: MTsumner92
Indeed it is all about money. It looks like USC/UCLA saw 100m/school for the Big Ten and decided they couldn't resist. Shocker. Not predictable at all....

It all just seems so stupid to me though. What about non-revenue sports? What about the Pac12 just giving more shares paid out to the bigger markets of the conference? If we are being honest, Washington State (one of the most isolated D1 schools in the country) doesn't deserve to same $$$ payout as USC or a UCLA. So adjust things accordingly and pay USC/UCLA more money than Washington State.

It makes zero sense to have a conference that covers both the East and the West coast. It is stupid as hell and I really hope somewhere down the line it comes back to bite them in the ass big time. Maybe the recession will be so bad these major networks can't afford these contracts or even better, Fox and ESPN sports go bankrupt. That would be ideal.

I wonder if we'll see a split between the revenue sports who can afford to travel across the country, and the non-revenue sports looking to

I.e. the Big 10 football/basketball/WBB separate from the other sports, which find more regional scheduling arrangements. It makes no sense to send the swim team from LA to New Brunswick NJ.

Or heck, maybe they really will just make so much money they don't give a crap.

Above is what they are saying. Over 100m per school per year now with a new deal. P12 currently is at 40m. Estimates have the P12 as it stands, losing 1/3 of their value for next deal. I've seen it will be Fox B10 vs ESPN SEC.

Supposedly Arizona and Arizona State have already contacted the B12. Ken Kendrick, owner of the Diamondbacks and Arizona donor, is a WVU grad and donor there as well (hence why WVU has played a bowl there twice) and he is pushing hard for Arizona and WVU to be in same conference.

This isn't anywhere near done.

One person said they could see 10 years down the road all the major conferences come together and just split in to NSEW divisions. Wouldn't that be nice. One can dream.

Above is what they are saying. Over 100m per school per year now with a new deal. P12 currently is at 40m. Estimates have the P12 as it stands, losing 1/3 of their value for next deal. I've seen it will be Fox B10 vs ESPN SEC.

Supposedly Arizona and Arizona State have already contacted the B12. Ken Kendrick, owner of the Diamondbacks and Arizona donor, is a WVU grad and donor there as well (hence why WVU has played a bowl there twice) and he is pushing hard for Arizona and WVU to be in same conference.

This isn't anywhere near done.

One person said they could see 10 years down the road all the major conferences come together and just split in to NSEW divisions. Wouldn't that be nice. One can dream.
I just read where Big 12 looking to add UA, ASU, and Utah.

I don't know why, but I would've thought the PAC 12 was still in a better position to pluck from Big 12.

I would've thought the Big 12 would've collapsed before the PAC-12. Gonna get crazy...

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
UW and Oregon have made contact with the Big10 as well. So with all of this, if the Big12 goes hard after AZ and AZ st, then they will get UU and CU, and Memphis will be in the AAC forever and there will probably be some shuffling of G5's and FCS to get more regional. Will be interesting to see what shakes out. Big 12 may come out smelling like roses 🌹, and the PAC 12 just becomes the MWC. The PAC commissioner was the one that basically shit on the Big12 with the alliance and now the B12 can give them the deaf blow

As always, I wonder how this trickles down to us.

I would assume the P12 plucks Utah State, Boise, Colorado State, New Mexico.

It could stop there or....

MWC gets UTEP, Texas State.

As this one is West Coast centric, it seems doubtful we get effected.

At this point I just want Chaos, as long as at the end of it we are still in the same FBS system as everyone else.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
The graphic of the Big Ten on a map with all the teams in one area and then USC and UCLA geographically so far away. It's comical. I really hope the Wokesters come up with how this is bad for the environment with travel emissions and fuel consumption and protest. LOL

College sports has become a cluster with so many structural problems. In totality, college sports suffer, while a few get richer. In today's overly woke world how does nobody standup against this? It's obvious the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Someone needs to put some guard rails on it or college sports are dead to me very soon.

In the end - how does it impact MT and how can they move to a better conference?

In the end - how does it impact MT and how can they move to a better conference?

I think this depends on perspective. We may end up moving to a “better” conference in terms of prestige, but when we get there it will no longer be the version of the conference that was more prestigious.

CUSA is a prime example. A decade ago, it was clearly better than the SB . But with the defections and the SBC crew, including us, showing up, it essentially became SBC we were trying to get away from.

Same thing will happen if/when we end up in the AAC. It will be the the same 6 schools we have been moving with since the SBC days plus CUSA/AAC rejects no major conference wants.

Sadly, we are currently one of the programs that move into a conference and drive down prestige.

Last edited:
Oregon and Washington reportedly "applying" to the BIG, which seems obvious.

If its all about money, why not take them along with UNC, Miami, Clemson and Fl State? Legitimately what is stopping them from creating a "best not named SEC" conference?

My hope is we end up on some REGIONAL conference with a few previous P5 schools that got left out in the cold and other close G5 schools.

So far the B10 has stuck with the AAU thing. Nebraska isn't now, but was when they took them in.

That leaves
P12...Cal, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Arizona, Utah
In ACC...Duke, UNC
B12....Kansas

I thought Notre Dame was too (I've always thought they belonged in the B10) but just checking, they aren't.

Granted money talks but I'd bet they stick with the AAU thing.

So far the B10 has stuck with the AAU thing. Nebraska isn't now, but was when they took them in.

That leaves
P12...Cal, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Arizona, Utah
In ACC...Duke, UNC
B12....Kansas

I thought Notre Dame was too (I've always thought they belonged in the B10) but just checking, they aren't.

Granted money talks but I'd bet they stick with the AAU thing.

i could see the SEC now making a run at Miami, UNC, UVA and Kansas or Pitt. They don't need Clemson with already having S. Carolina

This. This is exactly what I called on here not even a week ago. The SEC and B10 doing their own thing, even a playoff. P2 and then everyone else.

I really hope the end result is us winding up in a geographically fit conference with some P5 leftovers and be good. If we pull that off in a few years, CM will look like a genius. Of luck anyway.

Just like that the Pac-12 and ACC moved closer to the AAC and Mountain West than the Big Ten and SEC. And they can't blame anybody but themselves.

I think it was the Notre Dame AD months ago that said eventually the big players will consolidate and move to a pro/semi-pro model that will only be college football by way of name, location, and license from their big power player universities.

In a way, I guess I'd be glad if the mask finally came off. I'd prefer that the history and tradition of college football remain intact for colleges and universities across the country, but the idea of a fair playing field has always been a charade.

A few questions I ponder:

Will these major power players completely break away without any pretense of college football?

Will the NCAA survive at all? If it does survive, what of March Madness? Will the power elite break away in basketball, or will they try to keep non-football sports affiliated especially for March Madness?

If the big power programs take the mask off and break away completely to a pro/semi-pro model, I'd be good with that. What I don't want to see is if a further bastardized NCAA sells out to give the power programs whatever they want that results in everybody else being demoted to a lower division mainly so that the power players can still maintain the veneer of "college football."

Whatever the case, I get the feeling that the sports media, or just media, will call it and shape the perceptions to whatever they want that benefits them.

Reactions: TrueBlue147
Oregon and Washington reportedly "applying" to the BIG, which seems obvious.

If its all about money, why not take them along with UNC, Miami, Clemson and Fl State? Legitimately what is stopping them from creating a "best not named SEC" conference?

My hope is we end up on some REGIONAL conference with a few previous P5 schools that got left out in the cold and other close G5 schools.
The ACC’s GOR would require them to give up their tv revenue through 2036 if anyone leaves. That conference isn’t having anyone leave anytime soon. That’s the only reason Clemson and FSU are still on the table.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
The ACC’s GOR would require them to give up their tv revenue through 2036 if anyone leaves. That conference isn’t having anyone leave anytime soon. That’s the only reason Clemson and FSU are still on the table.

ACC deal is about 36m per school per year. So that's 504m till rights are up in 2036. Plus there is roughly a 50m exit fee (not a big deal for Clemson or FSU)

New B10 deal is expecting 100m per year. Probably more. SEC's deal that starts next year will be roughly 70m. Which if the conference expands, the $ will stay roughly the same per school as it's the SEC. They will renegotiate and ESPN will gladly pay.

So even if Clemson and FSU agree to 2/3, if they can, that still will be 46m per year. Lawyers can make anything happen. They'd come out ahead in 10 years instead of 14. That's if it is a reduced rate like the B12 did with WVU. Depends on what the ACC contract says. Some are using the whole govt. sovereignty thing.

If the SEC, well if ESPN, wants Clemson and FSU, they will have them.

UNC will never leave ACC. It would be NC State and Virginia. Picks up two states. The SEC would then represent every state the rebel flag has been affiliated with. Lol.

ACC deal is about 36m per school per year. So that's 504m till rights are up in 2036. Plus there is roughly a 50m exit fee (not a big deal for Clemson or FSU)

New B10 deal is expecting 100m per year. Probably more. SEC's deal that starts next year will be roughly 70m. Which if the conference expands, the $ will stay roughly the same per school as it's the SEC. They will renegotiate and ESPN will gladly pay.

So even if Clemson and FSU agree to 2/3, if they can, that still will be 46m per year. Lawyers can make anything happen. They'd come out ahead in 10 years instead of 14. That's if it is a reduced rate like the B12 did with WVU. Depends on what the ACC contract says. Some are using the whole govt. sovereignty thing.

If the SEC, well if ESPN, wants Clemson and FSU, they will have them.
I would agree with you if that scenario existed. The issue is not only would they forfeit their ACC revenue, they’d also forfeit any revenue generated from their new conference home through 2036. So I just don’t see how they’d be willing to give up that much money. I do know Clemson and FSU weren’t thrilled about the GOR so I’d guess there will be more shuffling down the road with them but I doubt it will happen before 2031 at the earliest.

I would agree with you if that scenario existed. The issue is not only would they forfeit their ACC revenue, they’d also forfeit any revenue generated from their new conference home through 2036. So I just don’t see how they’d be willing to give up that much money. I do know Clemson and FSU weren’t thrilled about the GOR so I’d guess there will be more shuffling down the road with them but I doubt it will happen before 2031 at the earliest.

100% agree. At the same time, my thiught is lawyers can get them out of anything. I wouldn't be surprised if a pro-rated deal on both ends is struck. If ESPN wants it.

If the ACC wasn't an ESPN conference, it probably would've already happened.

Looks like the Big12 wants to raid 6 teams from the PAC12. If Oregon and Washington move to Big 10, I wonder if the 4 leftover schools will move to the MWC or AAC. The MWC makes the most sense, but little about realignment makes sense.

Big if on that. Rumors out now (which is all this is till the bell rings) say OU and UW may be out. B1G wants to offer them reduced amount for this new deal then full at next but some current schools are saying no. Afraid it will reduce the per school payout for the next deal.

Also saying if the B1G can't get ND, then they will stop for now. (Which is dumb on ND part. They get $15m now from NBC, chump change)

And supposedly Miami has hired a team to fully investigate getting out of the ACC GoR.

Sadly this is gonna drag on for a while.

It looks like the falling apart of the Pac-12 will potentially build back up the Big-12 as they scoop up a few teams perhaps. They look to come out better.

Still trying to figure out how this might impact MT. The "bigger" name conferences (Pac-12, ACC, etc.) will look to backfill for losses, which they won't look to MT, but the teams moving up will leave openings. All of this shuffling around has to be an opportunity for MT at some desperate conference right? We know that MT has screwed up their status on their own, but I would think someone would be desperate and at least kick the tires.

So here's a new one. P12 and ACC are supposedly in just "talks" to have a championship game between their Champs. Create more TV for ESPN and bump the value of the new P12 deal.

Here is the kicker. If that does happen, it opens a window to force the ACC GoR to be voided and renegotiated, opening a window for teams to leave. Latest is SEC wants UVA, UNC, FSU, and Clemson. Gives them two new states and would essentially kill the ACC which is what ESPN really wants. They see the writing on the wall. ESPN/SEC vs FOX/B1G.

This would also force ND hand as they wouldn't want the ACC deal without Clemson. So to the B10 they go and it pushes NBC out of college football. CBS is already out. UW & OU going to B10 hinges on ND. Then they grab one other to hit 20.

This would kill either P12, B12, or ACC with B1G/SEC going to 20. It leaves 29 schools, and that's counting BYU, UC, UCF, and UH.

This could trickle down to G5 if schools like Cal, WSU, OSU drop to the MWC, who could pick up UTEP too to hit 16. Who knows.

Man I love this stuff. I waste way too much time reading on it and digging in to scenarios. I was obsessed with WVU went B12, when we went to CUSA, with us last year. It kills rivalries (WVU should play PSU, Pitt, & VT every year) but man the process is fun. It's the after that sucks.

Hopefully as said before, we wind up somewhere geographically fit and keep/gain back some rivalries.

They talked about this on 104.5 The Zone while i was in my Jeep at lunch. They didn't believe it because ESPN still has 12 years on the ACC TV deal, so why would they dissolve a deal that works for their advantage now? Had Golic, Jr on too who worked for ESPN and that part was hard for him to get past also. Does make for interesting talk/discussion, but it's all about the money!

They talked about this on 104.5 The Zone while i was in my Jeep at lunch. They didn't believe it because ESPN still has 12 years on the ACC TV deal, so why would they dissolve a deal that works for their advantage now? Had Golic, Jr on too who worked for ESPN and that part was hard for him to get past also. Does make for interesting talk/discussion, but it's all about the money!
They could say they are negotiating, just to help out UVA, UNC, CU and FSU or UM. Just depends on who is talking. Once that window is open, it can break loose the contract and UM has already hired attorney's to see about getting out the GOR with the ACC

It's a calculated risk. A big one. ESPN hopes they can get the current ACC schools to stay by doing a joint championship game and scheduling with the P12. Then ESPN could have P12 at a reduced rate (because they are worth way less now) and keep the ACC happy and in house. In addition to having more ND games as keeping thr ACC intact makes ND happy. Then that would leave only the B12 as inventory which will command decent $ next round, but not huge.

But that is if doing that deal with the P12 will keep the ACC schools happy. But even if they do try to bolt, the good ones would go SEC and ESPN would still have them, and in the mean time get rid of some of the dead weight ACC inventory. The B12 of course would pick some ACC schools, or vise versa, but either way it becomes P4 and less inventory for CBS/NBC to go after, with ESPN getting the big name ACC schools in the SEC.

In the end it's about A) taking all the inventory for themselves or B) expand the conferences they do have so there is less inventory for other networks to get

Maybe the “left behinds” can come up with Spring/Summer college football conferences and play during the dead months that all we have is golf and baseball? Similar to the USFL model. 😉

• Haha
If about 40 of the big programs broke off to form a separate hybrid pro/college league, I would have been ok with college football being left to everyone else.

Unfortunately, that scenario looks unlikely. It looks like the "elite" of the P5 will form a P3 or P2 etc, with everyone else back to 1-AA. The names of the divisions might change, but that appears to be where things are eventually headed.

I'm also guessing a new governing body or at least a dramatically overhauled NCAA dictated by the new P2 or P3 will eventually emerge perhaps sooner rather than later. I'm guessing that in part as it looks like the P2 will still want a big part in March Madness. I'm guessing they will want to hang onto that big pot of money from March, the history, tradition, and competition of college basketball, and the big fan engagement that generally comes with college basketball throughout the season.

I'm guessing the rest of D1 basketball will likely participate with most conferences still fighting for that one tournament bid while the power conferences, especially P2, will likely get bids if they can crawl past .500 records.

The media and the P3 or P2 might come up with new names or titles for the new divisions, playoffs, and the governing body, but it essentially looks like back to 1-AA for everyone else. It's the P2's world, everyone else just lives in it.

ADVERTISEMENT