ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Question for the curtain lifters..

FranklinRaider315

Hall of Famer
Jun 24, 2009
Franklin, TN
It probably wasn’t the right time to ask this question last summer during all the usual preseason hoo-hah and excitement. So.... will you ask Massaro for a follow up session to address how the funding is (or isn’t) in place to pay off Stock? Is there a $5.6 Million major donation already in the bank? A partial? Or are there contractual agreements in place for some of the heavy hitters to step up when necessary? I would hope CM and SM aren’t planning on hitting the General Fund.

Common folks like myself and a few others I run with would like to know how long this mess is going to last so we can come back.

It probably wasn’t the right time to ask this question last summer during all the usual preseason hoo-hah and excitement. So.... will you ask Massaro for a follow up session to address how the funding is (or isn’t) in place to pay off Stock? Is there a $5.6 Million major donation already in the bank? A partial? Or are there contractual agreements in place for some of the heavy hitters to step up when necessary? I would hope CM and SM aren’t planning on hitting the General Fund.

Common folks like myself and a few others I run with would like to know how long this mess is going to last so we can come back.

So far as I know, MT does not have a $5.6 million dollar donation already in the bank (if they did, I’d imagine they’d use it to get the endzone facility construction started).

Now, regarding the contractual agreements in place for the “heavy hitters,” I don’t imagine Massaro would comment (publicly or privately) about any obligations those individuals have to help pay a buyout. The buyout, owever, does not have to be paid up-front and is, instead, paid monthly basis (based on offsets)

All this buyout talk is interesting, but ultimately meaningless. Stockstill isn’t going anywhere (at least for the next two years and maybe more).

We don't have any heavy hitters. We're just a bunch of singles hitters who have to play small ball. We are what we are and that's not changing.

Reactions: C-Bow
Unless something has changed since the original deal was written, there are no major gifts in place or under contract to pay it. That said, whether he is coaching the football team or consulting to the President, Rick Stockstill is going to be getting a check from MT for a long time unless CM finds the money or negotiates a mutually agreeable settlement.

I wonder if we could sign a deal with a corporation for naming rights to Murphy Center or Floyd Stadium in exchange for enough to buy him out?

I wonder if we could sign a deal with a corporation for naming rights to Murphy Center or Floyd Stadium in exchange for enough to buy him out?
Theoretically, yes. State law, however, does have some say in how much MUST be contributed in any sponsorship/naming right deal

Reactions: BRaiderDave
I sort of get the feeling that AD Massaro has been hitting up the big donors over the last two years in order to pay Kermit more per year. A pay increase that Kermit has more than earned. Matter of fact, props to Kermit for being patient in taking modest pay increase deal. I imagine all parties involved are aware that it's the best MT can do at the moment.

I sort of get the feeling that AD Massaro has been hitting up the big donors over the last two years in order to pay Kermit more per year. A pay increase that Kermit has more than earned. Matter of fact, props to Kermit for being patient in taking modest pay increase deal. I imagine all parties involved are aware that it's the best MT can do at the moment.
I hate to break this news to you but MT doesn’t have a Fred Smith or Bill Laurie type donor. Or at least one that is willing to give on their level. I’m talking >$10 Million

I hate to break this news to you but MT doesn’t have a Fred Smith or Bill Laurie type donor. Or at least one that is willing to give on their level. I’m talking >$10 Million

Oh, I figured as much a long time ago. I was further suggesting that those resources for the athletic dept are likely already tapped out. That is unless there are some interested parties in MT football that weren't interested parties in MT basketball.

I hate to say it, but it seems us MT alums and larger MT community are some broke and poor folks. Sort of crazy for the large amount of alumni and generally large sized university. Maybe there are some really wealthy MT alums in the Nashville area that just don't associate with the university all that much, or at all.

Last edited:
Oh, I figured as much a long time ago. I was further suggesting that those resources for the athletic dept are likely already tapped out. That is unless there are some interested parties in MT football that weren't interested parties in MT basketball.

I hate to say it, but it seems us MT alums and larger MT community are some broke and poor folks. Sort of crazy for the large amount of alumni and generally large sized university. Maybe there are some really wealthy MT alums in the Nashville area that just don't associate with the university all that much, or at all.
All the more reason we need an AD who is comfortable working that target donor base, can cultivate it and harvest it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT