ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Question for kingaling41

MTFNBY5

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2005
When MaCio Teague transferred from UNCA after two years did you have any idea he could be an integral part of the #1 team in the nation and receiving such lavish praise for his play?

As an aside: The announcers went out of their way last night to hint for other players to challenge themselves to play at "the highest level". Not good for those of us who follow teams not in "power" conferences. Sad that playing "big-time" has become the be all, end all, of college sports and that transferring "up", "down" or "sideways" has become universally accepted.

Sorry - that should have been kingaling42 - hit the wrong key and didn't realize it until it was too late.

When MaCio Teague transferred from UNCA after two years did you have any idea he could be an integral part of the #1 team in the nation and receiving such lavish praise for his play?

As an aside: The announcers went out of their way last night to hint for other players to challenge themselves to play at "the highest level". Not good for those of us who follow teams not in "power" conferences. Sad that playing "big-time" has become the be all, end all, of college sports and that transferring "up", "down" or "sideways" has become universally accepted.

Sorry - that should have been kingaling42 - hit the wrong key and didn't realize it until it was too late.

After seeing how the other transfers from UNCA have fared, I'm not all that surprised really.. Really good kid that I used to do some summer workouts with when he was here.. His numbers are about the same across the board at Baylor as they were at UNCA- although his shooting % is down this year a bit.. MaCio was a really solid guy for UNCA from the very beginning- Freshman of the Year.. smart player- high basketball IQ, a bit quiet natured but great calming-type player for his teammates.. 2-way player that really likes to defend the other teams best guard which is another reason he's going to stay successful..

MaCio came out of prep school Montverde Academy after having scholarship offers from Akron, UNC Asheville, Eastern Kentucky, Alcorn State, Liberty, San Jose State, Seton Hall, Oakland, Winthrop, Bryant University and Yale when he graduated from HS in Ohio.. Staff was on him early as the Ohio area was a good recruitment area for CNM while at UNCA due to lack of competition for guys at that level (not on the big school radar and few other mid-level schools in the direct area).. MaCio had leg injury his junior year of HS which kept him off of some other schools radar but he still liked CNM/staff enough to come to UNCA despite increased attention at Montverde.. He really wanted to go with the staff to MTSU and I don't think he would've transferred up otherwise but that wasn't to be.. after the coaching change no one could blame him for entertaining his options at Xavier and Baylor

Thanks for the reply. I'm intrigued with the implication that he would have stayed at UNCA had not the coaching change taken place and also that once it did there was the possibility that he could have come to MT with McDevitt. Can you elaborate as to why "that wasn't to be".
Was it because the other options were too enticing? Could it be that McDevitt thought such a transfer wouldn't be a "good look"? Or?

Thanks for the reply. I'm intrigued with the implication that he would have stayed at UNCA had not the coaching change taken place and also that once it did there was the possibility that he could have come to MT with McDevitt. Can you elaborate as to why "that wasn't to be".
Was it because the other options were too enticing? Could it be that McDevitt thought such a transfer wouldn't be a "good look"? Or?

The end of his sophomore year saw the graduation of the most successful 4-year class (in terms of wins) at UNCA and MaCio wanted to try to best that group.. it was something he talked about prior to the coaching change and he and I had talked about the other guys that had transferred over his time here- I would've been shocked if he had transferred otherwise.. wouldn't have been a good look for MaCio to go to MTSU..

The end of his sophomore year saw the graduation of the most successful 4-year class (in terms of wins) at UNCA and MaCio wanted to try to best that group.. it was something he talked about prior to the coaching change and he and I had talked about the other guys that had transferred over his time here- I would've been shocked if he had transferred otherwise.. wouldn't have been a good look for MaCio to go to MTSU..
Was is McDevitt, MaCio, or both that decided not a good look? I think he would have been a great player for us (obviously), but I wanted Baerhe more. Unfortunate about his injury.

ADVERTISEMENT