ADVERTISEMENT

Q & A with Lee De Leon

AustinLewis

Hall of Famer
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
GoMiddle Community,

We are planning on doing a monthly Q & A with Deputy AD Lee De Leon. The hope for this Q & A is to build a meaningful opportunity for Lee to engage the MT community.

Right now, the first monthly Q & A will be free to read. After that, who knows?

So, if you have a question for Lee, now is your chance. Post them in this thread and I’ll pass them on to Lee.

This is great news. Man just keep impressing.

I have MANY questions. I just feel there are several that won't get answered in the public eye. Going to have to do some serious thinking on this. Good job on this Austin.

Reactions: ldeleon5
Multifaceted question here that is probably too much, but asking anyway.
Lee, you stated on here once that this board gives you "a great pulse of the fanbase".

There is a major disconnect between the expectations, for football especially, of this fanbase and the admin. Facebook comments and Twitter replies show that as well.

The overall fanbase expects conference championships and winning records. We believe 6-6, .500, is not a winning record. This appears to be all the admin expects. We don't expect to get rid of Stock as we are aware we do not have the boosters to support that (due to a contract we don't agree with mind you). We do expect staff changes. Facilities will absolutely help, but are not the end-all. We believe we are capable of more than .500. Do you?

When it comes to athletics, $ talks. The fans talk. And beyond #BuildBlue, which should have happened a decade ago, there is no $ and no fans in the stands. The admin appears to be ignoring the reading of the fanbase pulse.

Beyond being an alum, what reason do fans have to support? If the product on the field isn't what the fans want, $ isn't being given by those fans, diehards aren't showing up, much less the casual fans we need, what reason do we have to support? We are halfway through the season and already essentially eliminated at 0-2 from a conference championship. For the 17th year in a row.

We need proof the admin is hearing us. Status of the fan committee? What about changes essentially punishing fans such as the basketball court design contest change? What is being done to bridge the gap of disconnect between the admin's expectations and the fan's? We know you listen, but are those that sign the contracts listening?

Last edited:
This is a waste of effort. DeLeon is obviously good at what he does but he cannot do anything to fix this dumpster fire. We can go through the process, end up 6/6, go to the weedeater bowl, next year rinse and repeat. Not one improvement until McPhee, Massaro, Stuckstill and half the BOE are gone.

How do you plan to resuscitate a fan base that has grown tired of mediocre results that are so predictable it's not even worth purchasing season tickets let alone watching on TV? We're in the midst of another season of it right now. I'm talking so predictable all the way down to the same lines and excuses at the press conferences, and it's been this way for years. How do you draw us, your longtime hardcore fans, back in to the stadium and caring beyond looking at a box score? We're in the wilderness.

-Former season ticket holder with a lot of great memories and nothing to look forward to football-wise.

Obviously, the elephant in the room is going to be the on-field performance, and that's something that DeLeon is probably unable to touch with a 10-foot pole.

That said, I did attend my first game at MT in a long time, and I think we have a lot going for us gameday wise. I really enjoyed everything (concessions, campus, band, stadium, etc) outside of what happened on the field. Props to those folks who have worked their tails off over the last decade to bring MT's gameday into a more modern feel.

One thing that I think did need some attention was the tiny little Lightning's Locker Room and the merchandising. First off, I don't think you could fit more than 5 or 6 people in there, and even if you could, there wasn't all that much to buy anyway. Looking online and at Fanatics there's a rather large selection, but being a spur of the moment trip from Knoxville, I didn't have time to order anything. I figured we'd get something in the Boro. We stopped at Textbook Brokers (didn't this used to be BRBS?), they had some ok stuff. The bookstore was closed for some reason on a game day. All of the really nice Nike or Champion stuff was nowhere to be seen. Would have been a great night to have a big sweatshirt/hoodie selection.....And i've been looking for the coach's hat that Stock wears for years now. And the wife really wanted one of those Stranger Things font-ed T-shirts (those were awesome BTW). We found a couple of 3XLs at BRBS, nothing anywhere else. If that's the official blackout T, then you guys need to have a ton of them available. If physical space is an issue, it can't cost much to set up a merchandising tent with that stuff available.

I get it, chicken or the egg - the stuff doesn't sell, so why stock it? But if you don't stock it, I can't buy it, and it won't sell.

Anyways, that's a little feedback from 2 alums ('05 & '07) who attended their first game since 2016.

Alumni Hall in the Avenue has the best selection in the Boro. Just fyi when you’re in town next.

Last edited:
Obviously, the elephant in the room is going to be the on-field performance, and that's something that DeLeon is probably unable to touch with a 10-foot pole.

That said, I did attend my first game at MT in a long time, and I think we have a lot going for us gameday wise. I really enjoyed everything (concessions, campus, band, stadium, etc) outside of what happened on the field. Props to those folks who have worked their tails off over the last decade to bring MT's gameday into a more modern feel.

One thing that I think did need some attention was the tiny little Lightning's Locker Room and the merchandising. First off, I don't think you could fit more than 5 or 6 people in there, and even if you could, there wasn't all that much to buy anyway. Looking online and at Fanatics there's a rather large selection, but being a spur of the moment trip from Knoxville, I didn't have time to order anything. I figured we'd get something in the Boro. We stopped at Textbook Brokers (didn't this used to be BRBS?), they had some ok stuff. The bookstore was closed for some reason on a game day. All of the really nice Nike or Champion stuff was nowhere to be seen. Would have been a great night to have a big sweatshirt/hoodie selection.....And i've been looking for the coach's hat that Stock wears for years now. And the wife really wanted one of those Stranger Things font-ed T-shirts (those were awesome BTW). We found a couple of 3XLs at BRBS, nothing anywhere else. If that's the official blackout T, then you guys need to have a ton of them available. If physical space is an issue, it can't cost much to set up a merchandising tent with that stuff available.

I get it, chicken or the egg - the stuff doesn't sell, so why stock it? But if you don't stock it, I can't buy it, and it won't sell.

Anyways, that's a little feedback from 2 alums ('05 & '07) who attended their first game since 2016.

Merchandising is a major issue in my book. Textbook Brokers runs Lightning's in the stadium. Raider Tees used to have it but the Nike minimum buy requirements killed them. They have an OK shop hidden off Broad last time I was there. Agree on Alumni Hall.

It's sad that what sells is the coach gear which this year is new saying just Middle Tennessee. No MT logo or pegasus. Yet the hats and hoodies are no where to be found. Blackout shirts shouldn't be just based on tickets either.

Alumni Hall in the Avenue has the best selection in the Boro. Just fyi when you’re in town next.

I thought about that, but I didn't think we had time to swing by there and make it back to campus for kickoff.

I won't claim to speak for Lee here, but I can tell you the folks in the AD are aware of the frustrations re: FB program. But, as some have (rightly, imo) speculated on this board, some potential drama seems to be affecting MT right now (JMHO based on some "smoke" & things I've heard / read 2nd & 3rd hand). I could be wrong, however.

I'm not entirely SOLD that all the "powers that be" (McPhee, Steve Smith, & Massaro) are on the same page.

But I love the thought about apparel & LLR. With the construction of the SAPF, I wonder if they alloted extra room for LLR.

I won't claim to speak for Lee here, but I can tell you the folks in the AD are aware of the frustrations re: FB program. But, as some have (rightly, imo) speculated on this board, some potential drama seems to be affecting MT right now (JMHO based on some "smoke" & things I've heard / read 2nd & 3rd hand). I could be wrong, however.

I'm not entirely SOLD that all the "powers that be" (McPhee, Steve Smith, & Massaro) are on the same page.

But I love the thought about apparel & LLR. With the construction of the SAPF, I wonder if they alloted extra room for LLR.
I’m not arguing but genuinely asking perhaps a question that can’t be answered. If folks in the AD are aware of the frustrations, why extend the contract in perpetuity? Couldn’t they have redone the contract to meet the needs of the state and have it be ultimately complete by 2024 or 25, when we all thought it was supposed to end? I just don’t get it

I’m not arguing but genuinely asking perhaps a question that can’t be answered. If folks in the AD are aware of the frustrations, why extend the contract in perpetuity? Couldn’t they have redone the contract to meet the needs of the state and have it be ultimately complete by 2024 or 25, when we all thought it was supposed to end? I just don’t get it
That's a fair question & one I've wondered myself.

I'll do my best to answer it on behalf of Lee (I don't want this Q & A to be consumed with "Fire Stock" but focused on genuine engagement & questions regarding MT athletics & outreach). I'm not going to ask Lee to potentially go "on record" against his boss. That's career suicide for Lee. However, the apparel / LLR question are excellent examples of things Lee can answer.

Now, to answer your question re: Stock's contract. The current contract (in effect until 2028) was the result of :

1) MT's contractual obligation to extend Stock (he met the extension requirement)
2) Changes in State Laws required some "updates" to bring it in compliance

Changing the expiration date of the contract, lowering the buyout, etc would require renegotiation of existing contract terms (and that's something, for whatever reason, MT hasn't done).

That's a fair question & one I've wondered myself.

I'll do my best to answer it on behalf of Lee (I don't want this Q & A to be consumed with "Fire Stock" but focused on genuine engagement & questions regarding MT athletics & outreach). I'm not going to ask Lee to potentially go "on record" against his boss. That's career suicide for Lee. However, the apparel / LLR question are excellent examples of things Lee can answer.

Now, to answer your question re: Stock's contract. The current contract (in effect until 2028) was the result of :

1) MT's contractual obligation to extend Stock (he met the extension requirement)
2) Changes in State Laws required some "updates" to bring it in compliance

Changing the expiration date of the contract, lowering the buyout, etc would require renegotiation of existing contract terms (and that's something, for whatever reason, MT hasn't done).
That’s false what you said in the numbered sections. I’ve already been through this. It was capped after five years. I provided you with the language from the contract itself. The longest he could have been extended with that contract was to the 2028 season had he met all requirements (extended through 2023 in 2015). So, he had an eight year deal (which is already absurd), met the requirements three times, and should have seen his contract extended by auto extensions through 2026. But somewhere along the way he still got all five years without even meeting the benchmarks.

Worse yet they kept the same bullshit auto extensions for low bars on this redo when the caps for getting them had already expired and also when the AD knew this was a huge point of contention already. So, I’m not buying that they get anything. This is the worst contract in the history of sports for a coach. And it’s not even close.

That’s false what you said in the numbered sections. I’ve already been through this. It was capped after five years. I provided you with the language from the contract itself. The longest he could have been extended with that contract was to the 2028 season had he met all requirements (extended through 2023 in 2015). So, he had an eight year deal (which is already absurd), met the requirements three times, and should have seen his contract extended by auto extensions through 2026. But somewhere along the way he still got all five years without even meeting the benchmarks.

Worse yet they kept the same bullshit auto extensions for low bars on this redo when the caps for getting them had already expired and also when the AD knew this was a huge point of contention already. So, I’m not buying that they get anything. This is the worst contract in the history of sports for a coach. And it’s not even close.
MT01, we've been round & round on this. In the other thread, you pointed out some things I missed. Thanks for that. But I've read both contracts & the bar is higher in the "new one." I get the frustration. I do. Most of you know that I'd make some serious changes to FB if I was calling the shots.

But we're not going to go round & round again in this thread that's designed for the GoMiddle Community to ask questions to Lee.

But, if you have a legitimate question for Lee, post them.

Reactions: MTOleBlue

Agreed. I cannot think of a single college football program in history that has ever shackled themselves to a coach for this long with a record like this one. It’s absolutely absurd.

But that’s what they do.

Which is exactly why I told Hans I’d be back the day they announce Stock is gone.

Agreed. I cannot think of a single college football program in history that has ever shackled themselves to a coach for this long with a record like this one. It’s absolutely absurd.

But that’s what they do.
Especially a program with our kind of budget/donors. It doesn’t matter to the Tennessee’s and Michigan’s of college football to have this. They have the deep pockets to buyout a contract

MT01, we've been round & round on this. In the other thread, you pointed out some things I missed. Thanks for that. But I've read both contracts & the bar is higher in the "new one." I get the frustration. I do. Most of you know that I'd make some serious changes to FB if I was calling the shots.

But we're not going to go round & round again in this thread that's designed for the GoMiddle Community to ask questions to Lee.

And, FWIW, I think the contract is an absurd contract for so many reasons. While realizing it’s an absurd contract, MT still has to live with it.

But that’s what they do.

Which is exactly why I told Hans I’d be back the day they announce Stock is gone.
Texas A&M would like a word…

That said, your point still stands. And TAMU could probably find the $$$$ to pay buyout if they wanted to move on

Q&A - what criteria does the Athletic department use to evaluate a coach? When do you know it’s time to make a change?

I appreciate the Q&A, but we can’t dodge the obvious question everyone has. The fans deserve to have some tough questions asked.

How is the bar higher when previously it was seven wins and now it is six? You can point to raising conference wins to six from five but getting to six wins overall is probably easier than getting five conference wins. In all respects, the bar has been lowered. Moreover, if you’re claiming the bar was raised it refutes your previous point that renegotiation was required to do so. It is clear that a new contract was negotiated and the new contract reinstated automatic extensions which had already expired. If CRS was getting the benefit of that language about auto extensions and raises that could no longer be achieved then it should not have been included in this latest new contract unless the university had the opportunity to actually raise that bar. Which they clearly chose not to do. Therefore, I’m contesting your statement that the AD gets it. Those were your words not mine. And this is in refuting it on its merit using logic.

I have nothing to ask DeLeon. All I can say is he cannot not fix this problem and while fixing the gameday and/or trying to improve fundraising is a noble cause, this is a steep treacherous mountain. Moreover, this gentlemen has not reached out to me as a former season ticket holder and BRAA member. Which is fine because I haven’t been back now in almost four years (and counting) and not coming back until this institution demonstrates a true change in culture that they want to win championships, elevate the program, and that something more than bare minimum is the expectation.

Texas A&M would like a word…

That said, your point still stands. And TAMU could probably find the $$$$ to pay buyout if they wanted to move on
Jimbo Fisher hasn’t been at A&M for 17 years, He’s been there 4. Prior to that he was at FSU for 11 but 2 of those as OC. Hell, 17 seasons ago he was still Saban’s OC at LSU.
I stand by my statement.

I do have a legitimate question.

As a newer alum ('21) I'm hesitant to give, if we're being honest there's just no value after looking at the BRAA benefits chart. I no longer live in TN so all the benefits offered aren't worth it in my opinion.

My question for DeLeon would be if the BRAA benefits can be updated/revamped? I do see that there's a discount for LLR but what about textbook brokers and other MT gear merchants. I'm also a FSU booster given I've never attended the school, but my family has, one of my favorite benefits is having away ticket priority could this be something added in the future?

They should have some sort of "out of state" BRAA package, that offers value to people who can't participate at in person events but still want to donate.
Agreed the current one's cater to those who are within a reasonable distance from the Boro. I come back to Nashville 1-2 times a year so the parking priority doesn't give me value -- I'd rather have some gear. Lol, parking has never been an issue.

I Live in Dallas so North Texas is the closest. Sam Houston, La Tech, and UTSA are all reasonable drives, I'd love to see some allotment for away games.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Some possible ideas for out of state BRAA package:

game worn memorabilia raffles (jerseys, footballs, etc)
MT clothing apparel
MT care package (mugs, stickers, towels, fidget spinners, etc)
Phone call from a coach/player saying thanks

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Q&A with Lee is great and I think he is wonderful for MTSU. The problem is he can’t do anything about the problems here. He can’t fire his bosses and hire a new President, AD, and football coach.

They should have some sort of "out of state" BRAA package, that offers value to people who can't participate at in person events but still want to donate.
I actually brought this up to Lee. He basically said he does want to make changes and go away from transactional giving where if you give this much, you get this in return. He also told me to give them a call when I am in town and they will take care of me. Lee really does get what it takes to build relationships.

The out of state BRAA idea is great. I'd love to be a member but it does nothing for me. I absolutely support when I can. Few hundred here, little bit there, etc. And could sign on for some every year. But I'm 6.5hrs away. I make it a point to go to at least one football game every year.

This year it is FAU but it is taking some major planning with several hundred $ in gas and a hotel as you can't just do a down and back trip.

I loved it when Marshall and Charlotte where in conference. We played away opposite years. Marshall is a 2.5hr drive and my wife is an alum with family up there. Same for Charlotte. 3hrs and my sis is an alum and lives there. We never paid for hotels and could even make it a down and back day trip. I was guaranteed an easy see every single year. Thanks conference realignment. Grrr

Last year was VA Tech. Next year will be Liberty if it is away or some home game if not.

I bleed Blue but often unless I get an email for $ feel like it is a one way street in wanting to keep the out of state folks in the fold. If it wasn't for this board, I would have a major disconnect with the University. Shouldn't be that way. I'm not asking for 1on1 catering of course. But some BRAA events in other cities, even Knoxville which knocks 3hrs off my trip or making an effort to schedule a BRAA dinner night before or breakfast at away games would be great.

Some great questions, I'll give it another day or two before sending it off to Lee. In other words, keep the GOOD questions coming.

Reactions: ldeleon5
How is the bar higher when previously it was seven wins and now it is six? You can point to raising conference wins to six from five but getting to six wins overall is probably easier than getting five conference wins. In all respects, the bar has been lowered. Moreover, if you’re claiming the bar was raised it refutes your previous point that renegotiation was required to do so. It is clear that a new contract was negotiated and the new contract reinstated automatic extensions which had already expired. If CRS was getting the benefit of that language about auto extensions and raises that could no longer be achieved then it should not have been included in this latest new contract unless the university had the opportunity to actually raise that bar. Which they clearly chose not to do. Therefore, I’m contesting your statement that the AD gets it. Those were your words not mine. And this is in refuting it on its merit using logic.

I have nothing to ask DeLeon. All I can say is he cannot not fix this problem and while fixing the gameday and/or trying to improve fundraising is a noble cause, this is a steep treacherous mountain. Moreover, this gentlemen has not reached out to me as a former season ticket holder and BRAA member. Which is fine because I haven’t been back now in almost four years (and counting) and not coming back until this institution demonstrates a true change in culture that they want to win championships, elevate the program, and that something more than bare minimum is the expectation.
We are former season ticket holders and BRAA members and we've not heard anything from anyone related to MTSU athletics as well. We are both alumni and live in the Boro.

Some possible ideas for out of state BRAA package:

game worn memorabilia raffles (jerseys, footballs, etc)
MT clothing apparel
MT care package (mugs, stickers, towels, fidget spinners, etc)
Phone call from a coach/player saying thanks
I live in Minnesota and when MTSU played the Gophers, I actually got a phone call from one of the coaches saying thanks for coming to the game.

Reactions: subkyle
I'd like to suggest something like what WVU is doing for their Mountaineer Athletic Club. Not just a dinner, but a full weekend including free tickets to basketball exhibitions, a hosted tailgate, giveaways, luncheon, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT