ADVERTISEMENT

Q & A for Lee De Leon

AustinLewis

Hall of Famer
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
It's time for another Q&A with Lee De Leon.

My guess is that many of you may have questions about the state of the football program & Stockstill's fate / retirement / resignation / termination. I do too.

However, I don't see the Q&A as the venue to ask these questions. Whatever Lee's opinion, his job is to push MT. For better or worse, he has to "tote the company line" (i.e. "Stock is our HC"). His job is to engage the fans but he can't go against the boss. And every single member of the GoMiddle community that has a boss knows that, as an employee, our job is to execute the plan for our boss.

So fire away on your questions for Lee. But don't ask about Stock. 😂

I do understand & have respect for Lee's situation. To in essence take a press secretary position for a suspect administration when you didn't realize some of the issues up front has to be extremely difficult. I wouldn't want it. Anyway my question is how far away in $ are we from the point of removing the bleachers at the Murph & installing full stadium seating? I know other things have to fall into place as well. Also is there an anticipated time frame for this? With the glass & court redone the Murphy Center is on the verge of being one of the most attractive 10,000 seat arenas out there.

Silence can be deafening, so how about no questions at all for Mr. De Leon

The strongest possible message we can send as fans is total disengagement. No donations, no going to events, no watching on TV, not even a discussion.

silence.jpg

Mine kind of follow ups MTFAN61's.

The Judds concert showed, in my opinion, more concerts need to happen. I think it is a great way to showcase the university, especially with the new facilities coming. Jack Harlow earlier this year as well.

Same for when TSSAA used to have the Blue Cross bowl championships here. We should push for events like that. Even just hosting games between local high schools. Specifially talking basketball because I know in a lot of ways some have better FB facilities than us (indoor practice field) until the upgrades are completed.

Just thinking outside the box. Are there plans for things like that to help bring new students and fans in?

Reactions: ewglenn
This is almost sad.

Lee appears to be a solid dude, and under other circumstances, I think would be a major asset in growing the fan base and brand. He’s the type of guy bringing positive energy that could get me on board with donations and tickets even though I live 3 hours away.

But as it stands , he is just another victim that deserves much better.

Move the deck chairs to the left, move ‘em to the right…..the ship sank long ago.

Reactions: MarJac23
I had a question that wasn't addressed previously and I don't know if De Leon has any resposnibility or authority in the game times on the schedule for MBB and WBB. I've heard from other fans as well, that the 6PM start times make it hard for people getting off work (especially Nashville jobs), fighting traffic, and in getting in their seats for the tip off. Use to be back in the day that MBB started at 7:30 or even later when there were mbb and wbb doubleheaders. Would think attendance would be better if games were to start 6:30 or 7PM.

My question. Is there anyway to make the concession lines move faster? MT has some of the slowest concession lines I've ever stood in for football and basketball. I don't know if they need faster card readers, internet connection, better training, more staff or what. Also, the concessions our not the greatest either. I know it's a chicken and egg thing. If there are no fans there to buy, vendors don't want set up. Is there any plans to improve concessions?

My question. Is there anyway to make the concession lines move faster? MT has some of the slowest concession lines I've ever stood in for football and basketball. I don't know if they need faster card readers, internet connection, better training, more staff or what. Also, the concessions our not the greatest either. I know it's a chicken and egg thing. If there are no fans there to buy, vendors don't want set up. Is there any plans to improve concessions?

I have been to games that just used food trucks. Would that be an option? Just have several? Be a good way to have something different and support local small businesses.

Reactions: MTFAN61
Question. Are there any plans by the BRAA to increase awareness and recognition for sports outside of FB and BB?
I realize they do not provide direct profitable revenue however indirectly benefits the entire University.

They will not make the cut for questions, but I would want to know:

What criteria does the Athletic department use to evaluate coaches?

How do you define success?

Is the Administration concerned with the apparent decline in interest in the football program? Attendance, coach's shows, etc.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
Is the conference championship game going to be on CBS or CBSSN?

I'll give it to the end of the week and then send it on to Lee. Some great questions.

LOVE the food truck one (apparently, it's been answered already). Would love to see scoreboard stands torn down & replaced with a "food truck row"

I'll give it to the end of the week and then send it on to Lee. Some great questions.

LOVE the food truck one (apparently, it's been answered already). Would love to see scoreboard stands torn down & replaced with a "food truck row"
Man. Great idea. And revamp the beer garden. Have that whole endzone food and drinks. Now we are talking.

how would do that with the visitors locker room in that area.

Question on the new media pkg for the 18 televised basketball games. Are these all televised men's games, or would there be an opportunity for an occasional Lady Raiders game for prime exposure as well

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Given the discussion in the other thread - and the general perception of the fans - that's a question that's fair and I believe will garner interest among fans.
100%. We are the ONLY D1 institution with Middle in our name. Make fun of us being "mediocre middle" all you want, but we are. I think it should be capitalized on. Forget the score bar on games saying MTSU. Just have it say Middle.

I'm pretty sure I remember when we joined CUSA that one of the line items was that TV partners had to call us Middle Tennessee and not MTSU. Not sure what happened to that mentality.

UMT or MTU (although MTU fits better in yhr fight song "Middle Tennessee U. Middle Tenneseee U. Go, Raiders, Go!"). The four letters has got to go.

I find it ironic too that while Walker was a big proponent for branding, McPhee's admin is what came up with the new academic logo that places the large font focus on Middle Tennessee, and less on Stata University.

Lee:
As defined in Merriam-Webster’s dictionary……..at·ten·dance ə-ˈten-dən(t)s. : the act or fact of attending something.

How do you or the AD account for numbers reported in the official box score if several fans in attendance last Saturday who post here were able to physically and visually count actual butts in a seat? Empty aluminum leaves a big hole for TV camera shots. Just sayin’.

My personal opinion is the number is calculated in order to back into and maintain the minimum avg attendance required for FBS. But that’s just my opinion. I know what I saw on TV Saturday.

I’ll wait……..

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
I still would like to know why Massaro hasn't made any announcement about the extension. This may not be the venue, but at some point there needs to be one.
I remember Cecil Joyce of the dnj tweeted something about doing an article on it in the week after Gomiddle.com broke the story, but to my knowledge he has not done a thing since then on the story.

On a related note, what's the Athletic Department's idea to market our basketball teams? For example, the WBB team is hosting #6 Louisville in a couple of weeks. Is there a plan to blast market this game? It would be ideal to have a huge home crowd help the team to a huge upset.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
ADVERTISEMENT