ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Preseason Magazines/Predictions

Does anyone know how many season tickets we’ve sold so far this year?

Well that definitely will make things more difficult for MT to reach the championship game. If we still had divisions I could see a world where MT gets in because the East is weak and with 2 losses we could maybe win a tie-break scenario.

If they are taking the top two teams then we can realistically only afford to lose 1 conference game, and maybe even none. And I just feel like MT is always ripe for at least 2 losses in conference play.....so that definitely changes my outlook. I guess we will know right out of the gate how conference play will go since we host UTSA and then go to UAB. Then we come home to face WKU and then @ UTEP.

If you go by Phil Steele's predictions, we literally play the top 4 teams for our first 4 conference games. Crazy. We will have to go 3-1 in those games to have any hope of finishing top 2. That seems a near impossible ask in my eyes.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Does anyone know how many season tickets we’ve sold so far this year?

Possibly a few more from me. Hunting chairbacks for the WKU game (I refuse to set on bleachers for a college game). $100 each after fees. I'd pretty much be better off buying season tickets and selling the other 4 games.

Possibly a few more from me. Hunting chairbacks for the WKU game (I refuse to set on bleachers for a college game). $100 each after fees. I'd pretty much be better off buying season tickets and selling the other 4 games.
For the chairbacks, it is a $250 donation for the right to buy 2. I had 4 for several years. Great seats, but decided to quit spending over $1000 per season when I can pay $18 for a walk-up ticket and sit wherever the heck i want.

If you want to sit with a bunch of exciting fans who boo the opposition and cheer our team I would not sit in the chair back section. Last time I sit there it was like a funeral service. Go directly across the field to section 2. Lots of action with the students on one side, visiting fans the other side and the open air boxes behind you.
Bring a folding chair back and enjoy.

I see lots of tie-break scenarios coming into play for the championship game this year.

Does anyone know how the tie-breaker's will be handled? OOC games this year might be more important than ever if they go off total wins.

I see lots of tie-break scenarios coming into play for the championship game this year.

Does anyone know how the tie-breaker's will be handled? OOC games this year might be more important than ever if they go off total wins.
I saw in the CUSA board national rankings would play a factor. Can’t find the link.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
If you want to sit with a bunch of exciting fans who boo the opposition and cheer our team I would not sit in the chair back section. Last time I sit there it was like a funeral service. Go directly across the field to section 2. Lots of action with the students on one side, visiting fans the other side and the open air boxes behind you.
Bring a folding chair back and enjoy.

Yes. Chairbacks are extremely quiet. I've set there past two games I've been to. I'm just an old fart now and want back support. I might go the folding route. I read rules on GBR the other day. Just none allowed with arms. I never thought of sitting on the visitor's side. Haven't since I was a student! Ha!

Thanks for the suggestion. Fingers crossed the new blood in the AD, committee, etc (as well as a good season) makes even the chairbacks exciting.

Reactions: ewglenn
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...l-hot-seats-breakdowns-all-10-fbs-conferences

WORTH MONITORING

i

Middle Tennessee: Rick Stockstill, 64, has capably guided Middle since 2006 and has a deal that's guaranteed for nearly $5 million. That buyout, combined with a 7-6 season in 2021 -- after consecutive losing seasons -- mean any firing is highly unlikely. With his son, Brett, back coaching quarterbacks, Stockstill is expected to stick around for a few more years. That means retirement is unlikely. But as the school's ambitions grow with the boom happening around Nashville, the pressure might increase as Middle Tennessee tries to find its footing amid the fallout of all the defections from Conference USA.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...l-hot-seats-breakdowns-all-10-fbs-conferences

WORTH MONITORING

i

Middle Tennessee: Rick Stockstill, 64, has capably guided Middle since 2006 and has a deal that's guaranteed for nearly $5 million. That buyout, combined with a 7-6 season in 2021 -- after consecutive losing seasons -- mean any firing is highly unlikely. With his son, Brett, back coaching quarterbacks, Stockstill is expected to stick around for a few more years. That means retirement is unlikely. But as the school's ambitions grow with the boom happening around Nashville, the pressure might increase as Middle Tennessee tries to find its footing amid the fallout of all the defections from Conference USA.
Not holding my breath. I still wanna live.

Rick starts off losing, don’t expect me to be anywhere near Floyd.
If. And this is a possible if…Rick comes out losing bad, he needs to retire. Get out. If he doesn’t, there is no room for “well, he’s an honorable or good person”. Nope.

MT always struggles early on in the season under Stockstill no matter who they play. I would almost use this to your advantage if you are a gambling man. The bookies don't seem to get this.

MT always struggles early on in the season under Stockstill no matter who they play. I would almost use this to your advantage if you are a gambling man. The bookies don't seem to get this.

Especially against non-conference opponents which more often than not our CUSA schedules are front loaded with.

Rick starts off losing, don’t expect me to be anywhere near Floyd.
If. And this is a possible if…Rick comes out losing bad, he needs to retire. Get out. If he doesn’t, there is no room for “well, he’s an honorable or good person”. Nope.

Start of the season is brutal. We will be underdogs in every FBS game we play until November, either @ La. Tech or home against Charlotte. It's very possible we won't be favored in a FBS game until Week 10. Think about that for a second.

It's also very possible we start 1-7 (only win TSU @ home) if we don't get any upsets per Vegas standards. We should get a few upsets along the way, but this could be a bad season if this team doesn't step up. First two weeks in OOC play will tell us a lot. I'm going to be extremely disappointed if we can't manufacture a win against James Madison or Colorado State.

Hopefully, we can split the first two games @ JMU and @ CSU 1-1, come home and get 2-1 with TSU, then go to Miami and play respectably....come home 2-2...then we open up conference play at home with UTSA, then @ UAB, home with WKU, then @ UTEP. We play the top 4 teams in conference straight away starting Week 5 and we will be underdogs in all 4 games. We will know exactly what this team is made of after that stretch.

The odds are not going to be in our favor this season. This team will have to create some magic and defy the odds, catch lightning in a bottle if you will, and manufacture some fairly big upsets.

I think we will have a pretty good team if I'm being honest. It's really going to come down to how good our opponents are. If UTSA, UAB, and WKU are as good as they were last year, we lose all those games. Same with UTEP. But I don't believe they are. Every one of those teams lost significant talent and coaching and I think all 4 will be weaker. Will they be weak enough for MT to beat them? I doubt it, but I think we'll have a punchers chance.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Come on guys, you need to jump over to the “New Beginnings” thread and watch the video. 😂

Season 17 is gonna be the year of our first outright conference title win on the field!!!
Go Blue!!
E.A.T.T.
Want a free T-shirt?

Last edited:
I enjoy reading Wiley’s analysis. It’s an honest look at the upcoming season.

just in a perpetual state of “maybe next year with Rick”.

Come on guys, you need to jump over to the “New Beginnings” thread and watch the video. 😂

Season 17 is gonna the year of our first outright conference title win on the field!!!
Go Blue!!
E.A.T.T.
Want a free T-shirt?

I'd much rather it be this year than next for example. At least this year it would be against most of the same competition we've played for years (minus the 3 SBC defections of course).

We win one next year instead, it'll be "oh man. Everyone had to leave CUSA for Middle and Stock to win one."

When I first saw this, I thought it was from the school newspaper. I thought our journalism majors were getting ruthless.

Haha. A couple years ago I did too at first. Then I realized it is a network of writers for several colleges. Many good Twitter follows in their group.

Bringing back for the final two weeks.

I predicted 4-8 or 5-7, with 6-6 being the cap. Not far off.

Of course I also said 4 wins should be a dismissal. Don't know what the heck I was smoking thinking that.

I think the 4-8 is more likely than the 7-6.
Clearly I underestimated the number of wins, but I'm not excited about six or possibly seven win this season since it means Stockstill's contract extension to infinity and a potential bowl game with another 6-6 or 7-5 G5 program and being a double digit underdog.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT