ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Preseason Magazines/Predictions

We will know how this season goes after the first two games. If we open 0-2, it's business as usual struggling for 6 wins to end the season. This seems like the most likely scenario since Stockstill teams never play well early in the year and always have to beat up on mediocre/bad competition in November to chase 6 wins. Classic Rick "Stuck in the Middle" Stockstill type stuff. 50% chance

1-1 going into TSU @ home means we will at least be competitive this year and push for 7-8 wins. Respectable. 30% chance

2-0 heading into TSU @ home means this team is better than anyone predicted and should be competitive for the East division championship. 20% chance

4-8 prediction for a coach with 15 + years at the same program should be the final death sentence on his time at MT

if they finish 4-8 that would make 18-28 the past 4 years. I think most people would say that’s heading in the wrong direction.

4-8 prediction for a coach with 15 + years at the same program should be the final death sentence on his time at MT

if they finish 4-8 that would make 18-28 the past 4 years. I think most people would say that’s heading in the wrong direction.
I believe a 4-8 result would put this '.500' coach below .500 for his far too lengthy career here and further define him as a coaching mediocrity. I'm willing to bet each of the new CUSA universities will score a conference title before MT sniffs one under stockstill.

In a poll on this site, I voted 4 wins. Obviously as a fan, I don't want that.

There is no way Rick should coach another season here if he only wins 4 games this season. I mean, seriously....

Reactions: Hop45
In 17 seasons of the Stockstill era, have we ever been a preseason favorite to win our conference title in Football? Ever?

The fact that we are still discussing this mess is even worse.

In a poll on this site, I voted 4 wins. Obviously as a fan, I don't want that.

That's exactly how I've said it.

My heart says 12 wins every year.

My head knows it will be 5-7 this year. 6-6 as the best and that will require a win or two we shouldn't have.

And I agree. 4 wins should force the end.

I'd guess we were the SBC preseason favorites in 2010. We were coming off a 10-3 record and New Orleans Bowl win plus Dwight Dasher back for his senior year. As far as I can remember, the football program was at its highest point ever at that time. We finished 6-7 that year....

I'd guess we were the SBC preseason favorites in 2010. We were coming off a 10-3 record and New Orleans Bowl win plus Dwight Dasher back for his senior year. As far as I can remember, the football program was at its highest point ever at that time. We finished 6-7 that year....
I think that was the season where Dasher was suspended the first 4 games for taking money from that loan shark?

9 or 10 years ago I was working some projects and a part of the crew and I was talking during a break and he and a younger buddy were former athletes who had some previous experience dealing with Dasher who demonstrated his unworthiness to these guys. They were laughing when I brought up his bowl performance in Mobile. It seemed like he was completing interceptions to wide open defenders more than passes to MT receivers. They said yeah, they were predicting it at the time. About a year later, he contacted both of these guys asking for 1000 dollar loan out of the clear blue.

At the time of his suspension I was extremely upset with Stockstill for letting him back on the team (he had also reportedly stolen money from a teammate). Massaro or McPhee should've stepped in and said hell no.

I thought after all this he would end up spending time in jail or found dead in a dark alley somewhere. At least he's still alive according to last reports I've heard. I wonder if he might been set on the straight and narrow if Stockstill had shown a back bone and discipline. We'll never know. Maybe it was too late then.

Time is not being kind to Dwight. Neither are his personal decisions. I pray for a turnaround.
Dasher-Dwight.jpg

We can hope. I have my doubts. Massaro and McPhee should have never let it get this far.
They’ve allowed him to hang around longer than any D-1 coach in recent memory with the same average results. Typically there are a few D-2, D-3 or NAIA coaches who were allowed to linger and teach an extra class or two. Stock can’t even give away free T-Shirts in the UC.

9 or 10 years ago I was working some projects and a part of the crew and I was talking during a break and he and a younger buddy were former athletes who had some previous experience dealing with Dasher who demonstrated his unworthiness to these guys. They were laughing when I brought up his bowl performance in Mobile. It seemed like he was completing interceptions to wide open defenders more than passes to MT receivers. They said yeah, they were predicting it at the time. About a year later, he contacted both of these guys asking for 1000 dollar loan out of the clear blue.

At the time of his suspension I was extremely upset with Stockstill for letting him back on the team (he had also reportedly stolen money from a teammate). Massaro or McPhee should've stepped in and said hell no.

I thought after all this he would end up spending time in jail or found dead in a dark alley somewhere. At least he's still alive according to last reports I've heard. I wonder if he might been set on the straight and narrow if Stockstill had shown a back bone and discipline. We'll never know. Maybe it was too late then.
Time is not being kind to Dwight. Neither are his personal decisions. I pray for a turnaround.d
Dasher-Dwight.jpg
damn....that has to be his dad or something. He looks every bit of 60

Received Phil Steele Magazine in the mail today. Here's his predicted finish:

1. UAB
2. UTSA
3. UTEP
4. WKU
5. UNT
5. FAU
5. Middle Tennessee
8. Charlotte
9. Latech
10. Rice
11. FIU

Received Phil Steele Magazine in the mail today. Here's his predicted finish:

1. UAB
2. UTSA
3. UTEP
4. WKU
5. UNT
5. FAU
5. Middle Tennessee
8. Charlotte
9. Latech
10. Rice
11. FIU

That's about how I see it. I think La. Tech will finish a little higher and UTSA a little lower. UTEP seems a little high to me as well. Looks like Phil has us tied for 2nd in the east division.

I think CUSA will be wide open this year. I think UTSA comes back down to earth a little losing their star RB and DB. They do still have a great QB and probably UAB may be a little questionable now with Bill Clark gone. WKU has a lot to replace on offense + a new offensive coordinator. FAU has Taggert as head coach so they will always be ripe for 2-3 let downs per year. UTEP returns a lot of talent but they're UTEP.

I'll say it again, I think CUSA is wide open this year. From an objective standpoint, MT is a wild card. We return a good to great defense and very solid special teams. But on offense we have to replace a lot, including our OC. MT will be a dangerous team this year if our offense gets it together and could potentially push for the East division if so. This team will go as far as our offense can take it. I believe there's a lot to be excited about for CUSA football this year with the league being wide open and MT being a wild card. I could easily see this being one of those years where everyone is beating everyone and the West/East division champs come down to the last week of play.

We'll know a lot after the first 2 games in my opinion. 0-2 start = same ol' stockstill team that whimpers towards 5-6 wins in late November. A 1-1 start and I see 7-8 wins on the card and pushing for the East/CUSA.

I'm definitely going to bet MT as a long shot to win CUSA if I can get 20-1 odds or more.

Last edited:
Are they still doing division Champs this year with the new Champ game format? Top two teams play period, same as B12 does.

Sorry I wasn't clear in my question. I know the Champ Game is the top two.

But many pre-season articles are saying "2nd in East" or "UTSA will win the West" etc.

So my question is are the divisions not gone completely? I assumed they were with the new Champ Game format and copy the B12 who have none and the ACC who next year will have none. To me, sounds like some of these writers again, just don't know what they are talking about mentioning divisions.

Sorry I wasn't clear in my question. I know the Champ Game is the top two.

But many pre-season articles are saying "2nd in East" or "UTSA will win the West" etc.

So my question is are the divisions not gone completely? I assumed they were with the new Champ Game format and copy the B12 who have none and the ACC who next year will have none. To me, sounds like some of these writers again, just don't know what they are talking about mentioning divisions.

League officials said no divisions this year. Top 2 teams in the standings will be in the championship game. At least that was in an Athletic article in May.

That's about how I see it. I think La. Tech will finish a little higher and UTSA a little lower. UTEP seems a little high to me as well. Looks like Phil has us tied for 2nd in the east division.

I think CUSA will be wide open this year. I think UTSA comes back down to earth a little losing their star RB and DB. They do still have a great QB and probably UAB may be a little questionable now with Bill Clark gone. WKU has a lot to replace on offense + a new offensive coordinator. FAU has Taggert as head coach so they will always be ripe for 2-3 let downs per year. UTEP returns a lot of talent but they're UTEP.

I'll say it again, I think CUSA is wide open this year. From an objective standpoint, MT is a wild card. We return a good to great defense and very solid special teams. But on offense we have to replace a lot, including our OC. MT will be a dangerous team this year if our offense gets it together and could potentially push for the East division if so. This team will go as far as our offense can take it. I believe there's a lot to be excited about for CUSA football this year with the league being wide open and MT being a wild card. I could easily see this being one of those years where everyone is beating everyone and the West/East division champs come down to the last week of play.

We'll know a lot after the first 2 games in my opinion. 0-2 start = same ol' stockstill team that whimpers towards 5-6 wins in late November. A 1-1 start and I see 7-8 wins on the card and pushing for the East/CUSA.

I'm definitely going to bet MT as a long shot to win CUSA if I can get 20-1 odds or more.
UAB just hired Darin Hinshaw as there OC.

Wow. Yet another Andy Mac fellow.
Hinshaw had a pretty rough stretch through 2009. He was West’s WR’s coach at Memphis from ‘07-‘09. They were 15-23 during that period and 2-10 in ‘09 when he got fired along with West and Mallory. Lost to MT twice at home and away.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT