ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Power 5 Moving Toward Cancellation

I think the G5 needs to say "screw it". If the P5 doesn't want to play, we'll be the only game in town.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
What’s changed over the last few weeks to create this change of heart ? So lame.

A big issue, according to supposed news sources, is liability. The NCAA decided lschools can’t ask players to sign liability waivers. So even if a player decides he wants to play knowing the risks and the school does it’s best to protect the player, he can still sue the school.

Wasn't something like that what got the NCAA going in the first place?

An early director or founder figured out college athletics depts would struggle to come up with money to pay for liability, or insurance, or workers comp, or some such thing? So the lawyerly solution was to deem NCAA athletics amateurs so as to not be legally responsible for those expenses?

Some of you disappoint me with your selfishness. You act like everyone should just act normal.

It's a virus that's never circulated on earth before. It transmits easily from person to person. Those two alone no big deal. Together that's a problem. And the fact that for some - randomly - it kills and there isn't a single damn one of you who knows what the long term impacts are. Not a one of you. The selfishness and arrogance from this...so disappointing.

I curious what would be more costly. Loss of fans and billions of dollars or risk of covid. Sets a weird precedent.

Like this hasn't been heard of before. Get over yourself.

Some of you disappoint me with your selfishness. You act like everyone should just act normal.

It's a virus that's never circulated on earth before. It transmits easily from person to person. Those two alone no big deal. Together that's a problem. And the fact that for some - randomly - it kills and there isn't a single damn one of you who knows what the long term impacts are. Not a one of you. The selfishness and arrogance from this...so disappointing.

This issue fundamentally gets back to individual liberty for me. If you are an adult, the risks as we know it are explained, the schools may an honest good faith attempt to protect you as much as possible and you are willing to sacrifice other freedoms (ie mandatory quarantines as necessary during the season with large scale testing) to play, then people should be given the chance. Honor scholarships for those that opt in or out this year and counsel each person on their on risk/family risk.

If the school does it right, they could honestly use multiple POC testing platforms and make it safer for the players than the average student on campus.

You need to turn off the tv and stay off the internet for awhile. You seem to be terribly afraid.

Reactions: Raiders_55
You need to turn off the tv and stay off the internet for awhile. You seem to be terribly afraid.

LMAO. I love how you act like you know me. You have no idea what I know about this and what I've seen.

We're going to have 300,000 deaths just in the US alone by the end of the year. Unnecessary deaths because people refuse to avoid being selfish. This isn't about fear. It's about doing the right thing. If that isn't enough to convince you then what I said is dead on. Continue being selfish then.

This issue fundamentally gets back to individual liberty for me. If you are an adult, the risks as we know it are explained, the schools may an honest good faith attempt to protect you as much as possible and you are willing to sacrifice other freedoms (ie mandatory quarantines as necessary during the season with large scale testing) to play, then people should be given the chance. Honor scholarships for those that opt in or out this year and counsel each person on their on risk/family risk.

If the school does it right, they could honestly use multiple POC testing platforms and make it safer for the players than the average student on campus.

It's not a liberty issue. You don't have the freedom to drink, get it an car, and kill someone. You don't have the right to do drugs, go to your job (lets say operate heavy equipment) and kill a co-worker. You don't have the right to smoke inside and give someone cancer. If the risk for you going out was only to you vs you potentially being the risk to others then yeah you would be right about that. But the fact is you can get it, not yet know it, pass it to others including causing someone to die. You don't have that right. That's why public health quarantine laws are in place.

You all don't like it I don't give f**k. I will call out this selfish/arrogant attitude that's exactly the reason why the U.S. has been unable to get this under control.

I live in Columbus OH and the radio people + Ryan day are furious about the season being likely cancelled. Ohio State radio people, and I'm assuming their fans, are terrified of football in the Spring because "half the roster will sit out to prepare for the NFL draft"......."You could potentially see a 6-6 Ohio State football team with 2nd and 3rd stringers out there. Justin Fields isn't gonna be out there playing for the Buckeyes in the Spring, he's gonna be preparing for the NFL draft...."

Double edged sword for me. I want football in the fall but having it postponed to the spring and listening to the Ohio State's cry up a storm is very gratifying too......

Also, Nebraska HC Scott Frost already saying his team will look outside the Big Ten to play fall football if needed.

Players and coaches are fighting HARD to keep the season planned for this fall. I say let'em play. Can always shut it down if needed. At least give it a chance.

It's not a liberty issue. You don't have the freedom to drink, get it an car, and kill someone. You don't have the right to do drugs, go to your job (lets say operate heavy equipment) and kill a co-worker. You don't have the right to smoke inside and give someone cancer. If the risk for you going out was only to you vs you potentially being the risk to others then yeah you would be right about that. But the fact is you can get it, not yet know it, pass it to others including causing someone to die. You don't have that right. That's why public health quarantine laws are in place.

You all don't like it I don't give f**k. I will call out this selfish/arrogant attitude that's exactly the reason why the U.S. has been unable to get this under control.

That’s why I said with testing and quarantining measures.

Let’s be honest, over half the people in our own agency don’t do what they should at this point. People have proven they won’t follow the measures you hope for. Student athletes under monitoring and testing protocols may be safer compared to the other thousands of students on campus that are not being tested or the idiots sitting at the packed bar down the street right now. So at this point, I think they should be given the option to play with testing. You can see the behavior like I can, this is not going to slow, whether they play football or not. Might as well given them the choice.

Reactions: C-Bow
That’s the first argument that’s truly based in logical thought I have seen. I would like to think the coaches would force strict measures on their players so that they are not the ones out at the bars and doing other things like that but who knows if they would.

Sheep. Give it a chance at least. Jesus. I'm glad the SEC is very gung-ho about playing, though they might cave eventually too.

I hope CUSA and Massaro stand strong.

Big 10 officially canceled..No Missouri Valley Football, No University of Minnesota Football for me this year. All I have left is MTSU football, which always leaves me disappointed. My wife is going to be happy my Saturdays are now free in the fall

Wonder if ESPN/ABC/Fox Sports will now pick up more G5 schools since the Big 10 and likely PAC-10 are cancelling games. It would be nice to see more MTSU games without having to subscribe to ESPN Plus

Assuming everything can be done safely, now is the time for CUSA and the Sun Belt to shine on a National stage. Going to be a lot of open television dates for these Networks to fill this season.

So we get Varsity in the fall (SEC, ACC) JV in the spring (Big10 and 12) but looks like Pac12 is going spring too.

15-24 year old deaths from 2/1/2020 - 8/8/2020
COVID-19: 242
Pneumonia: 340
COVID & Pneumonia: 81
Influenza: 52
Pneumonia, Influenza, or COVID deaths: 549
Looks like a pandemic to me!

Heck, we'll probably all drop dead any moment from global cooling or global warming or global climate change. After all, the science is settled...

Assuming everything can be done safely, now is the time for CUSA and the Sun Belt to shine on a National stage. Going to be a lot of open television dates for these Networks to fill this season.

I have a feeling even if we play ESPN is going show replays of 2013's World Series of Poker rather than put C-USA on their network.

Looks like a pandemic to me!

Heck, we'll probably all drop dead any moment from global cooling or global warming or global climate change. After all, the science is settled...

Looks like oversimplification to me. But then again you just proved you don't really know what a pandemic is.

Looks like oversimplification to me. But then again you just proved you don't really know what a pandemic is.

In your opinion, where is the safest place for an NCAA DI football player to be this Fall?

At home with a canceled season: with unknown resources to medical, food, housing, mentorship, etc.

Or, on a campus with a season: with structured resources to medical, food, housing, mentorship, etc.

What is the better option for a young man?

In your opinion, where is the safest place for an NCAA DI football player to be this Fall?

At home with a canceled season: with unknown resources to medical, food, housing, mentorship, etc.

Or, on a campus with a season: with structured resources to medical, food, housing, mentorship, etc.

What is the better option for a young man?

None of the above. I get what you're trying to get at. Looks like you're trying to draw a parallel that a lot of kids come from lower income areas and therefore would be better off playing. That's what you're suggesting, right? It's a wash if they are spending time in tightly confined locker rooms, spending hours in close proximity with 100+ other people, traveling on buses, planes, hotels, etc.

I mean hell let's give it a shot. Roll on and let's see what happens. My prediction is we don't get to week one, because the first time a team has run rampant through dozens of players in a matter of a week and has to shut down it's entire program everyone else will see that and bail. Or worse we get a game or two and then have to shut it all down just teasing us.

None of the above. I get what you're trying to get at. Looks like you're trying to draw a parallel that a lot of kids come from lower income areas and therefore would be better off playing. That's what you're suggesting, right? It's a wash if they are spending time in tightly confined locker rooms, spending hours in close proximity with 100+ other people, traveling on buses, planes, hotels, etc.

I mean hell let's give it a shot. Roll on and let's see what happens. My prediction is we don't get to week one, because the first time a team has run rampant through dozens of players in a matter of a week and has to shut down it's entire program everyone else will see that and bail. Or worse we get a game or two and then have to shut it all down just teasing us.

A simple question was asked to you. In your opinion, where is the safest place for an NCAA DI football player to be this Fall?

Simple question, either one of two answers.

Based solely off some of your posts here on the boards, you seem like someone educated on Covid. All I was doing was asking you your opinion.

"I get what you're trying to get at. Looks like you're trying to draw a parallel that a lot of kids come from lower income areas and therefore would be better off playing. That's what you're suggesting, right?"-MT01

You're not getting anything. Never once did I imply anything regarding "lower income areas". Interesting that was your first inclination though. Telling.

ADVERTISEMENT