ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Playoff Poll:

mtutmut

All Conference
Aug 3, 2005
There has been a lot of talk about BCS vs. playoffs over the years. Now that we finally have a playoff system, let's find out where we all stand.

Hate to be a jerk but nobody, and I mean nobody (Crown Charlie) cares what fans of a G5 school think.

Regardless, I can't help but think that if most fans of G5 schools had a vote it would be for 16 with all champions involved. But, IMHO the number of teams and whether all 10 conference champions are involved is not nearly as important as a more equitable distribution of $$$s among all conferences and schools.

I voted 8 even though I think 16 would give the best results. I just think 16 team playoff at the end of a demanding season is too much.

Originally posted by Hop45:

I voted 8 even though I think 16 would give the best results. I just think 16 team playoff at the end of a demanding season is too much.
And yet every other level of college FB does this...teams are eliminated, its only a few that would play all the way.

The beauty of a 16 team playoff is that winning your conference actually means something. It also allows the power conference to schedule big OOC game because if they lose no worries there is always the conference race. Lastly, if gives the rest of us a chance - a slim chance but a chance. I would much rather be the 16th seed playing at the #1 seed than play in a bowl game in a half filled stadium.

It will expand if for no other reason the $$$$s. As to whether there will be anymore than the occasional token representative from the G5; another question entirely.

Just look at the 68 team field for the NCAA BkB tournament. There are influential forces who would like nothing more than to eliminate the AQ teams from the weakest conferences. Some shills for the "power" conferences would love to see only the top 58 RPI teams selected which would make the tournament 95-98% teams from the big conferences.

I actually would prefer a 12 team playoff. Take the 10 conference champions and 2 at large teams. I see no reason in giving 6 teams that can't win their conference (5 if an independent team is great) a chance at the championship.

I agree with other posters though, I think it will continue to expand because of money. I also think any expansion will benefit schools from the SEC, B10, B12, ACC, and PAC12 or they will never allow it.

I voted for a 16-team playoff with the conference champions included. It's been done for years in 1AA (now FCS), no reason it can't be done in 1A (now FBS).

Mike, I agree a 16-team playoff is appealing but I don't like the idea of extending the season and requiring even more of athletes' time for a season that already runs from August through early January, for teams that make it to the postseason. And a 16-team playoff would extend the season well beyond the middle of January. However, if a 16-team playoff was implemented, a team like the 2003 Miami Redhawks would have a shot at the national title and that would be fun to watch. After an opening loss to Iowa, Miami won all of its games that included a 49-28 win against Louisville. Although Miami finished 10th in the final 2003 AP poll, I'm convinced the Redhawks could have beaten several of the teams ranked ahead of them. Only a 16-team playoff would give a team like the 2003 Redhawks that chance.

The regular season ends in the first week of December. Playoff games for 16 teams would only take four weeks. That would put the championship game during the first week of January......right where it now is.

I'd love to see a playoff where all conference champions got a shot, but it's not going to happen. Realistically and what I think both Big 5 and Group of 5 conferences could agree on as a compromise is an 8-team playoff in which the Big 5 conference champions all got an automatic bid, an automatic bid went to one of the conference champions from the Group of 5 (best of the bunch determined by the selection committee) and then 2 other at large teams.

That should make all of the Big 5 conferences happy because it guarantees them all at least one team in the playoff, and conferences that are really strong could potentially have 2 or even 3 teams in the playoff. It also brings national attention to the other conference races because one of those conference champions will get an automatic bid.

In this scenario, I would hope at least the first round playoff games would be played at campus sites. This would allow the possibility of a Group of 5 team hosting a playoff game if there was a year where a team like Boise State really stood out above the pack. The final 8 team field would be seeded by the committee without regard to the automatic bids (so if the Pac 12 champ is 8-4 they could be seeded lower than the at large teams who are likely to be 10-2 or better).

I'd like to see it stay at 4 teams for now as I really do believe adding anything else will water the regular season down (way down). We have not even had one full season yet with the current system so not sure how people can jump to conclusions so quickly? College football is in a great place right now. I don't understand why administrators and leaders are constantly thinking they need to change things. It's already a premier sport, what more do they want?

For those of you strictly viewing this with only MT's interest in mind, we are no more (and no less) likely than any other team to earn our way into a 16 team vs. 4 team play off. Teams that start the season in the top 25 will have a small advantage, but not much.

Put Auburn, Alabama, Missouri and 1 more team + conference games on the schedule and go undefeated and your in the 4 team playoff, I don't care what your schools name is. If we want to play in a 4 team playoff, then we must schedule legit, national contending programs and beat them, period. Nobody (me included) wants to see a team play a bunch of patsies and then scream they belong (and cry when they're left out). Doesn't and shouldn't work like that.

This post was edited on 10/13 2:38 PM by sWiley

It will be hard to tell a team like Marshall (if they do indeed go undefeated) that they do not deserve a shot at the title just because their schedule is weak. It is hard for a good mid-major team to get a big school to play them. There is not much in it for the big-time school. If they win, they beat another mid-major pretender. If they lose, they are the laughing stock of the country. Also, a 4 team playoff is going to leave several one-loss teams with their dicks hanging in the wind. Why should one 11-1 team from one of the Big 5 conferences get a slot over another 11-1 from another Big 5 conference? I believe that it is only a matter of time before it will be raised to 8 teams. There are too many egos to fit a 4 team playoff. It is merely a stop-gap measure to break the ice of getting away from the BCS. That said, in a perfect world, every conference champion would get a shot at the national championship. It would at least give the illusion of fairness and equity.

B4yJLRAIAAAmo3R.jpg

I like the 16 team with all conference champions. No other way to properly do it unless you want to do 10, 12, or 14 and have first round byes. That would work too. But 10 would leave no room for independents/at large entries. So one conference would have to go, or the lowest ranking conference champion could be replaced by a better ranking independent, or hell do an extra play in game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT