ADVERTISEMENT

Political question, but I feel it belongs here....

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
Does anyone know, and have supporting evidence, regarding what would change for the funding of college athletics if universities were socialized?

My major concerns would be from the funding aspects. Would colleges still be able to collect those huge student funding dollars (and what would stop them from raising them incessantly?) to sustain their programs? Keep in mind, only around 25% or less of Division 1 universities operate in the black without big student fee's. So without those student fees, most athletic departments and programs would cease to exist.

I have no evidence to support my suspicions, but I suspect college athletics would be ruined if college education is socialized.

Most political proponents of free education for all are also in favor of paying athletes their market value on top of the scholarship, based on direct comments.

No one knows for sure, but the general consensus is if players can be paid by the school/athletic associations the going rate, then universities with large endowments,TV money or major donors will be able to offer better athletic packages legally further widening the gap between the haves and have nots (athletics-wise).

Now if free college doesn’t include additional pay for athletes, then depending on how the law is written, you could see multiple different effects on athletics. My guess would be the gap b/t us and the P5 would get larger.

Last edited:
I don't see ANY scenario in which MT would benefit from socialized college education.

Feels like it would be a great harm to college athletics as a whole. "Scholarships" will essentially go away because anyone can go anywhere for free, assuming they qualify from a grades standpoint and there's enough class space. What will limit literally every talented player from enrolling at the University of Alabama, Tennessee, etc? You know the coaches will find a way to get all these players admitted, even the 2 star players because they are great practice fodder and even some of them develop into great players....and we all know all these young kids think they're good enough to play at a Power 5 program.......Now there will be nothing stopping them from trying to do so because "scholarships" wont exist.

Whole thing just seems like an awful idea to me.

I don't see ANY scenario in which MT would benefit from socialized college education.

Feels like it would be a great harm to college athletics as a whole. "Scholarships" will essentially go away because anyone can go anywhere for free, assuming they qualify from a grades standpoint and there's enough class space. What will limit literally every talented player from enrolling at the University of Alabama, Tennessee, etc? You know the coaches will find a way to get all these players admitted, even the 2 star players because they are great practice fodder and even some of them develop into great players....and we all know all these young kids think they're good enough to play at a Power 5 program.......Now there will be nothing stopping them from trying to do so because "scholarships" wont exist.

Whole thing just seems like an awful idea to me.
there will always be roster limits, even if scholarships are not available.

If we make college free to all and forgive student debt, let me know how I can get a refund for all the money I spent when I paid for it myself.

There were a lot of weekend nights eating frozen pizzas, shopping at TJ Max, driving a cheap car and skipping vacations so I could have the money to go to school. It doesn’t seem right to just wipe away debt or give free college for people that weren’t as disciplined or frugal to plan for their own future.

If we make college free to all and forgive student debt, let me know how I can get a refund for all the money I spent when I paid for it myself.

There were a lot of weekend nights eating frozen pizzas, shopping at TJ Max, driving a cheap car and skipping vacations so I could have the money to go to school. It doesn’t seem right to just wipe away debt or give free college for people that weren’t as disciplined or frugal to plan for their own future.

Just my opinion, but I don't think this free education and paying off student debt is going to go anywhere. The reason is exemplified in the above post. More and more, these voices are coming to the fore that worked hard to pay their education expenses. Not only would they want a refund, they will not be willing to pay more taxes to pay off other people's education and loans. They have a pretty good argument that it wouldn't be fair that they worked hard to pay for school, and then they would be punished by tax increases to pay off other's loans. I'm guessing this won't get enough support to pass anytime in the near future.

Preaching to the choir. I'll be making my last payment this month on what was $60,000 in student debt. Paid it off in 5 years because I'm still living in a 1 bedroom apartment and, until recently, was still driving my old 10 year old nissan Murano.

Meanwhile, I know friends that borrowed the max each semester, never gave back the extra money they didn't need once everything was paid for for that semester, and instead used that money to literally buy cars, houses, and go on vacations. They're all in 6 figure debt because they went the irresponsible route. But they have a house and nice cars.....and now they're gonna get their student debt wiped away and get to keep that house, car, vacation memories, etc......while I did it the right way and still live in a 1 bedroom apartment trying to snowball my student loan payments with no property equity to my name.....HMMMMMM????????? I'm gonna need an explanation here on how exactly this is fair......

But, let's try to keep this on the topic of sports. I'm EXTREMELY interested how this "free" college would impact athletics. I would hope one of these savvy millenials would ask a question at one of these forums about it's impact on athletics? Or maybe not...do they even watch sports?

Truthfully, I doubt these hollow politicians have even considered it's impact on athletics. They're too worried about giving away as much free $hit as they can for peoples votes. I don't think it's a coincidence that the odds on favorite to win the democratic nomination is the person offering the most free $hit. Scary, scary times. Could be the death of collegiate athletics as we know it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTTim
Just my opinion, but I don't think this free education and paying off student debt is going to go anywhere. The reason is exemplified in the above post. More and more, these voices are coming to the fore that worked hard to pay their education expenses. Not only would they want a refund, they will not be willing to pay more taxes to pay off other people's education and loans. They have a pretty good argument that it wouldn't be fair that they worked hard to pay for school, and then they would be punished by tax increases to pay off other's loans. I'm guessing this won't get enough support to pass anytime in the near future.

Not only that, but if you make college free then you're also flooding the work force with people that will compete with them for a job. So their wages are going to tank, their taxes are going to go up, AND they're getting one of the most unfair deals in the history of american society.

And the scary part is, it might not matter how popular or unpopular it is. If Sanders wins (and I'm brutally terrified that he is going to....he is a significant favorite to win the democratic nomination), he can issue executive order to squash all debt. He can direct his secretary of education on day 1 to wipe away all government held student debt. Poof, gone into thin air.

There is a saying....The majority is not always right......My god is that ever applicable in this case. (58% of registered voters are actually in favor of free college and wiping out student debt.....)

I'm also convinced it will ruin college athletics (in addition to the entire country, LOL)

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, I believe a blanket “no questions asked” forgiveness of student loan debt is actually a moral hazard. What that action does is cheapen a college degree at the undergraduate level to what a high school degree means today. That isn’t needed in society. There needs to be a feeling of “I earned it” and accomplishment restored to a college education. I value my degree from MT I earned 27+ years ago and my graduate banking degree from LSU 9 years ago. My experience at MT was my passport to greater knowledge and achievement.

What I am staunchly for in higher education is more opportunities for “work-study” programs where students can earn college credit, earn a stipend that helps defray basic needs, and have an opportunity to attend school totally debt free by working off debts. Maybe offering post graduation work/service fellowship could reduce or eliminate debt from student loans? I’m all for the student to become debt free in 2-5 years with a sustainable pathway of meaningful job experience. Our nation has many worthwhile projects that need to be addressed in cities and states, why not tap that kind of experience in a cost effective manner and provide a pathway to debt free college? I see reform working like a Berea College model.

I'm guessing that is what is likely to happen. There will likely be more incentives to pay student loan debt through various forms of service etc similar to military service incentives or incentives to teach. Just my guess. In another 20 years? All bets are off.

IF the federal government further subsidizes college education for ALL students, the biggest impact on college athletics is that it could be easier for athletic departments to pay college athletes.

Currently, schools that pay the full cost of attendance for student athletes (currently ~$20,000 for in-state and ~$40,000 for out-of-state at MTSU) pay it out of athletic budget. If, however, the federal government pays tuition for ALL students (~$10,000 for in-state and ~$30,000 for out-of-state), it saves athletic departments money. This money will either open up funds for facility improvement, coaching salaries, or even additional financial support.

I've worked in higher education for the better part of the last 6 years. The student loan crisis (perceived or real) that has led to many politicians endorsing total loan forgiveness and/or free tuition to public universities is the result of :

1) Administrative Bloat : Google it. It's real.
2) Arms race : Schools believe students will make their decision based on the latest and greatest facilities. So they spend endlessly on student centers, rec centers, dorms, and academic buildings
3) Students / Parents not understanding how challenging it is to pay off $40,000 at 6% (or more) interest rate early in your career.
4) Difficulty for middle class : More affluent parents can afford to pay for college for their kids, while the low-income students can take advantage of Pell Grant (plus additional scholarship monies). It's the middle class kids whose parents don't qualify for Pell Grants and don't have the funds to pay for college but are expected to attend college.

ADVERTISEMENT