ADVERTISEMENT

Player's Opinions...

I for one hope he gets the job, or Mark Fox/Earl Grant. Case would be first choice though. I think we would really hit a home run with him. I get that some folks are not crazy about picking up guys without HC experience but he’s been around Kermit forever. It’s not like a newbie coach from Jackson State.

While I like Fox and Grant, I would have no problem with promoting from within. These guys have been around Kermit long enough. During Kermit's press conference, he stated that he would be involved with the hiring process as well. But, we have hired a search from so it would seem like a waste of money to have a search firm but end up promoting from within.

I have seen a few other players on twitter with the #Case4Case

I am absolutely fine with Case! Would help salvage the best recruiting class we have had, and he with retention of everyone else. We already have a good thing rolling. Why not try and keep it intact?

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I for one hope he gets the job, or Mark Fox/Earl Grant. Case would be first choice though. I think we would really hit a home run with him. I get that some folks are not crazy about picking up guys without HC experience but he’s been around Kermit forever. It’s not like a newbie coach from Jackson State.
excerpt:

Win Case begins his 10th season with the Blue Raiders in 2017-18 and has brought a wealth of experience with him as an assistant coach on Kermit Davis’ men’s basketball staff.

Case has been highly successful at each of his previous collegiate stops and has a proven track record as both an assistant and head coach, having been part of national championship teams in each capacity. His career won-lost record as a head coach is a gaudy 392-169.

The highly successful coach was most recently head men’s basketball coach at Redlands College for one season, following a two-year stint at Eastern Oklahoma State College, where he served as head men’s basketball coach and athletics director. Case was head coach at Oklahoma City University for 13 years, posting a 343-127 record and winning the NAIA National Championship in 1994 and again in 1996. Before being head coach at Oklahoma City, Case served as an assistant there for two years and was part of two NAIA national championships (1991, 1992). The 1992 squad was 38-0.

Win Case Bio

Didn't the baseball team all love and want Jim McGuire after coach Pete retired?

If Win is really the BEST coach in the country we can get right now, then get him. But don't just give him the job because he is a nice guy that the players like and "deserves a chance".

I am so glad we hired a search firm for this.

It's not like Pete left McGuire a championship team. The baseball program has been on a downward trend since the new park opened.

Doesn't look like it matters. According to an Ole Miss site.

"Per 24/7 .. Sources indicate MTSU assistants Ronnie Hamilton and Win Case will follow Davis to Ole Miss. As reported by The Ole Miss Spirit earlier this week, former LSU head coach John Brady is a candidate to potentially join Davis in a consultant capacity. He will not come to Ole Miss as a full-time assistant, per a source familiar with Brady’s thinking."

"Per 24/7 .. Sources indicate MTSU assistants Ronnie Hamilton and Win Case will follow Davis to Ole Miss. As reported by The Ole Miss Spirit earlier this week, former LSU head coach John Brady is a candidate to potentially join Davis in a consultant capacity. He will not come to Ole Miss as a full-time assistant, per a source familiar with Brady’s thinking."

If this is true, we can kiss our best recruiting class ever that we just signed good-bye. They're all going to ask for a release. Oxford >Murfreesboro

This also decapitates the in-roads we've made with future recruits.

New coach is going to have to completely start from scratch with regards to the future of the program. Yes, we have good players on the roster, but the momentum of the program is absolutely shat on if we lose both Case & Hamilton.

Oh well, the ride was fun while it lasted. Maybe we can win the NIT before everything goes to $hit.

Win Case's coaching record

Year School W L Pct.
1992-93 Oklahoma City ························· 25 7 .781
1993-94 Oklahoma City ·························xy-28 7 .800
1994-95 Oklahoma City ·························y-30 3 .909
1995-96 Oklahoma City ·························xy-32 6 .842
1996-97 Oklahoma City ························· 19 8 .704
1997-98 Oklahoma City ························· 26 5 .839
1998-99 Oklahoma City ·························y-26 7 .788
1999-00 Oklahoma City ·························y-26 5 .838
2000-01 Oklahoma City ························· 19 7 .731
2001-02 Oklahoma City ·························y-26 7 .788
2002-03 Oklahoma City ························· 18 11 .621
2003-04 Oklahoma City ························· 20 12 .625
2004-05 Oklahoma City ························· 20 12 .625
Totals 315 96 .766

x-NAIA Division I champion y-Sooner Athletic Conference champion

Why would that take him out of contention? He’s obviously leaving currently because he has a good offer to be a assistant coach at a SEC school. Pretty sure if we offered him the hc here he would right back in the Boro. Probably a small buyout for an assistant

I just hope KD & Hamilton isn't in the ear of Fagan, Buffen, and Curry. We really need that signed class to stay intact because we are likely to have a weak upcoming class.

My opinion will change very much of Davis if he steals those signed recruits.

I just hope KD & Hamilton isn't in the ear of Fagan, Buffen, and Curry. We really need that signed class to stay intact because we are likely to have a weak upcoming class.

My opinion will change very much of Davis if he steals those signed recruits.

There is a thread on the Ole Miss Rivals site about stealing our commitments here.

Why would that take him out of contention? He’s obviously leaving currently because he has a good offer to be a assistant coach at a SEC school. Pretty sure if we offered him the hc here he would right back in the Boro. Probably a small buyout for an assistant

Knowing that CKD has been leaving for a week and knowing that Win is apparently going with him, if CM planned on offering Win the job, don’t you think they would have already discussed and made the offer? And Win wouldn’t be listed as going to Ole Miss now?

I have never heard of an assistant being announced as leaving a program following a current HC, then end up getting the offer to stay as the HC at that school . In every case I’m aware of they announce the current coach and staff that is leaving & if the assistant is getting the job, he is not announced as leaving because he is getting the job. Not saying it doesn’t happen, just saying I’ve never heard of that.

Knowing that CKD has been leaving for a week and knowing that Win is apparently going with him, if CM planned on offering Win the job, don’t you think they would have already discussed and made the offer? And Win wouldn’t be listed as going to Ole Miss now?

I have never heard of an assistant being announced as leaving a program following a current HC, then end up getting the offer to stay as the HC at that school . In every case I’m aware of they announce the current coach and staff that is leaving & if the assistant is getting the job, he is not announced as leaving because he is getting the job. Not saying it doesn’t happen, just saying I’ve never heard of that.

I thought that when Kermit said that MT will hire an outstanding coach from in or outside the program he was giving a nod to Win if he wanted to go for it, it was okay.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Win Case. He's seen what Kermit has done the last seven years and how the culture of toughness and winning has been maintained, plus he has a very successful run as a head coach himself. It may not be just a coincidence that Kermit has had his big run of success since Win came on board.

Massaro says he wants some one who has charisma and can sell the program. All I know is the few times I have heard Win talk is that I come away impressed.

I thought that when Kermit said that MT will hire an outstanding coach from in or outside the program he was giving a nod to Win if he wanted to go for it, it was okay.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Win Case. He's seen what Kermit has done the last seven years and how the culture of toughness and winning has been maintained, plus he has a very successful run as a head coach himself. It may not be just a coincidence that Kermit has had his big run of success since Win came on board.

Massaro says he wants some one who has charisma and can sell the program. All I know is the few times I have heard Win talk is that I come away impressed.

I am not against Win if he is the best candidate.

It just doesn't seem to me that CM plans on offering it to Win. You don't hire a search firm (if accurate) or let a guy start planning to leave if your intention is to walk down the hall and give a guy the contract.

But what do I know, I say all that and we may have a press conference at noon announcing Win as the new HC.

Sounds like Case is likely getting some consideration, but he does not sound like a lock at this point.

Barring some sudden developments in the next few days with Case, my suspicion is MT will likely hire a HC none of us are talking about and possibly heard little about. If I'm not mistaken, Kermit came on board similarly. It seemed like there were a few on a shortlist, then all of a sudden this guy Kermit Davis seemingly came out of nowhere.

Yeah, I thought Gregg Marshall was a lock and then, bam, Boots hires Kermit.

In hindsight, I still think Marshall was/is the better coach

I am not against Win if he is the best candidate.

It just doesn't seem to me that CM plans on offering it to Win. You don't hire a search firm (if accurate) or let a guy start planning to leave if your intention is to walk down the hall and give a guy the contract.

But what do I know, I say all that and we may have a press conference at noon announcing Win as the new HC.

Who knows? Does MT still have the long ass posting requirements that ends taking four or five weeks to make a damn decision? Memphis expected to name Hardaway officially today. That is damn quick (not sure how wise it is), damn quicker that anything MT ever does.

Who knows? Does MT still have the long ass posting requirements that ends taking four or five weeks to make a damn decision? Memphis expected to name Hardaway officially today. That is damn quick (not sure how wise it is), damn quicker that anything MT ever does.

This old lawsuit from the 60's thing that has been dead for like 10 years is the gift that just keeps on giving. It has been and remains a huge problem for MT in hiring new coaches.

I, too, wonder about the official status of that policy. After all these years and the lawsuit supposedly put to bed, it is time for the administrators over at The Murph to be bold and aggressive and do what is best for MT rather than worrying about some bureaucratic bull malarkey from decades in the past.

Don’t we just get around that by having an agreement in principle when posting the job and then just tailor the PD wording so only the person that’s going to be hired can hit it exactly like the rest of the world?

My point is that if MT knows who it wants, and has that person ready to go in a matter of days or a week, they should not have to be sidelined by idiotic, bullsh*t bureaucratic swamp requirements for weeks or over a month. It is utter nonsense that MT be held to some bogus standard that no other school in the state or anywhere else for that matter has to follow.

Reactions: dukewayne
ADVERTISEMENT