ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Pain after C-USA title loss can't undo what's ahead for Blue Raiders

You mean like the UNT game and the Big Boi debacle? How about a sunny afternoon watching us play ULL and looking like a bad junior high team in 2005? There might have been 3k there. We've never had great attendance. We had good numbers from 06-12. Once we joined CUSA, our numbers fell off a cliff. I say go back to the SBC. Tuesday night and Thursday night games would be better for us. Plus the SBC is on ESPN. I hate em but they run things.

CUSA is a dead zone. If we had Troy, App st., Ga Southern and stAte in CUSA and we kicked out Charlotte, ODU, UTSA and UTEP, If we agreed to play on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays on ESPN, it would be better. Our conference champ game was beat out by the SBC title game on ESPN. That's when you know it's over.

The in game experience is exactly the same. I’m not talking about gimmicks. I’m talking everything from Larry Tolbert’s voice to the “large mouth brass” songs played since 1912. The guys that run the show are making a lot of money but do the same thing every year.

I’m saying that the experience means more than the game now. I’m saying to do something crazy like clear an area and make it like the Nashville sounds batters box area where people young and old are socializing during the game and spending money. Get an area at the end one and get a band rocking like the preds do.

I’m saying that the product on the field isn’t just the game these days.

You mean like the UNT game and the Big Boi debacle? How about a sunny afternoon watching us play ULL and looking like a bad junior high team in 2005? There might have been 3k there. We've never had great attendance. We had good numbers from 06-12. Once we joined CUSA, our numbers fell off a cliff. I say go back to the SBC. Tuesday night and Thursday night games would be better for us. Plus the SBC is on ESPN. I hate em but they run things.

CUSA is a dead zone. If we had Troy, App st., Ga Southern and stAte in CUSA and we kicked out Charlotte, ODU, UTSA and UTEP, If we agreed to play on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays on ESPN, it would be better. Our conference champ game was beat out by the SBC title game on ESPN. That's when you know it's over.

We aren't "kicking out" anyone and I'd say you've made some incredibly shortsighted choices to boot. Old Dominion has the biggest budget in the conference and better fan support than us at the moment, I think their football will get there. I would say you could apply similar logic to Charlotte, though admittedly they have further to go.

The two conferences need geographic realignment. The only program west of the Mississippi that I care anything about sharing a conference with is La Tech, but if we drew a hard line on the Mississippi river, I wouldn't miss Tech.

Give me:

North
Ohio(as long as we're talking hypotheticals)
Marshall
ODU
MT
WKU
App
Charlotte
Coastal

South
GSU
GS
FAU
FIU
UAB
USA
Troy
USM

To be clear, I'd take La Tech over Coastal, Charlotte, Georgia State or Troy, but I'm trying to remain fair about the E/W realignment and I think that the other half of the equation

stAte
ULL
ULM
La Tech
North Texas
Rice
Texas State
Texas San Antonio
Texas El Paso
(NMSU?)

Would be better off as well, apart from La Tech who might rather burn their stadium to the ground rather than share a conference with ULM.

Reactions: MT Glenn
As far as for wishing to be back in The Belt: Not for BkB.

Off the top of my head the only schools with any history to match the top teams in C-USA would be USA which for a few years was arguably the best team in Alabama and Louisiana which had a few good years.

UNCC, WKU, USM, UTEP, LaTech, UAB, and yes, MT, all have equal or better BkB reputations.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
The in game experience is exactly the same. I’m not talking about gimmicks. I’m talking everything from Larry Tolbert’s voice to the “large mouth brass” songs played since 1912. The guys that run the show are making a lot of money but do the same thing every year.

I’m saying that the experience means more than the game now. I’m saying to do something crazy like clear an area and make it like the Nashville sounds batters box area where people young and old are socializing during the game and spending money. Get an area at the end one and get a band rocking like the preds do.

I’m saying that the product on the field isn’t just the game these days.

Yeah you go to a minor league baseball game, those people know how to promote and get people to come who don't care who the team is playing, but they come back.

Speaking of the PA, could we do something about that. There were a lot of unhappy people in the stands when the refs were trying to announce what the penalty was on a couple of occasions, where they just had to stand and wait while the PA guy continued to prattle on about one dumb ass thing or another for what seemed like a couple of minutes...

One fan said he listened to the game and said he could hear fans yelling at the PA guy to shutup...

Reactions: dukewayne
As far as for wishing to be back in The Belt: Not for BkB.

Off the top of my head the only schools with any history to match the top teams in C-USA would be USA which for a few years was arguably the best team in Alabama and Louisiana which had a few good years.

UNCC, WKU, USM, UTEP, LaTech, UAB, and yes, MT, all have equal or better BkB reputations.

When MT and others left the Sun Belt, it feels like the SBC back filled with Cousin Eddie Clones

Two of those schools they back filled with are App State, who is favored by over a touchdown against us in a bowl game, and Georgia Southern who has certainly held their own ground as well.

We aren't "kicking out" anyone and I'd say you've made some incredibly shortsighted choices to boot. Old Dominion has the biggest budget in the conference and better fan support than us at the moment, I think their football will get there. I would say you could apply similar logic to Charlotte, though admittedly they have further to go.

The two conferences need geographic realignment. The only program west of the Mississippi that I care anything about sharing a conference with is La Tech, but if we drew a hard line on the Mississippi river, I wouldn't miss Tech.

Give me:

North
Marshall
ODU
MT
WKU
App
Charlotte
Coastal

South
GSU
GS
FAU
FIU
UAB
USA
Troy
USM

To be clear, I'd take La Tech over Coastal, Charlotte, Georgia State or Troy, but I'm trying to remain fair about the E/W realignment and I think that the other half of the equation

stAte
ULL
ULM
La Tech
North Texas
Rice
Texas State
Texas San Antonio
Texas El Paso
(NMSU?)

Would be better off as well, apart from La Tech who might rather burn their stadium to the ground rather than share a conference with ULM.

I know we aren't kicking anyone out because our commish is an idiot. I'm not talking about imaginary markets either. I'm talking about real teams that you don't want to play in the same conference that produce on the field. What has Charlotte or ODU done? Jack crap. Who in this region gets hyped about ODU, UTEP, or Charlotte? No one. App State carries a hell of a lot more weight. stAte is way better than UTSA, Rice or freaking UTEP. Troy and Ga Southern would destroy FIU, charlotte or even FAU at this point.

You give me a division with us, Marshall, WKU, App st., Ga Southern, Troy and maybe FAU or stAte and you'd see a real conference ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD not on paper or some imaginary market where no one watches us play. It's regional and it would be a tough conference. That's not short sighted. All of those teams have a legit history of kicking butt. They all have better legacies than us. It's not short sighted when the results speak for themselves. ODU might have a fan base but no one down here knows who the hell ODU is or if they even have a team. That's what you are combatting. App st. took Penn St. into overtime. Troy beat LSU last year on nation TV. Ga Southern beat Florida not too long ago. They've all won multiple titles. Charlotte, UTEP, UTSA, ODU? Come on.

A lineup like that would make us really compete or we'd be getting a new coach every 2 years because we'd have no choice but to adapt to tougher competition. We'd have no bottom feeders to rely on.

Again, this would never happen. We are stuck in every way possible. We either have to be ok with it or find the door because nothing is changing. Even if Stock retired now, who would Massaro go and get? I have no confidence in him or his ability to pick a coach. Look at out BB team? He destroyed it almost overnight.

I'm MT til I die and will be a fan no matter what. That's my lot. I'm not walking away which means I'm stuck with what we have.

Last edited:
Ah yes, the old "the commish" is an idiot excuse.

Tried and true for as long as I can remember.

What I would agree with (regardless of conference) its to play mid week. I know it doesn't allow for great tailgating like a Saturday game would...but it would lead to more butts in the seats.

. Even if Stock retired now, who would Massaro go and get? I have no confidence in him or his ability to pick a coach. Look at out BB team? He destroyed it almost overnight.

Look, I want McPhee OUT, Massaro OUT and Stock OUT.

I happen to like all three men personally but this program has fallen off a cliff, but I have to call you to task on Massaro killing MBB, care to explain?

Because unless you think he could have somehow convinced Kermit to stay and chose not to or you believe there was another candidate that would have definitely kept the recruiting class together, I'm not sure what you think he could have done any differently.

As with any G5 conference, C-USA has it's share of problems. Massaro has probably been right for several years in talking about G5 conferences realigning to make the most geographic sense, but it will likely never happen.

I think both ODU and Charlotte are sleeping giants. Sure they have struggled in their infancy. Who doesn't? What are both of those football program? About 5 years old. ODU may have a year or two on Charlotte. Both schools have a really good media market and large population for a recruiting base. With ODU, it is in an underdeveloped college football state that is hungry for college football.

ODU has a great bball program, both men and women. Charlotte bball had good success in C-USA in the past. I'm not sure why they left. They seem to be one quality HC away from returning to power in bball. Like ODU, Charlotte has an excellent facility. Over the next few years, I suspect we'll be seeing good things out of both Charlotte and ODU in football and basketball.

Yeah I can’t stand Larry Tolbert. I know he gives a lot of money and has done great things for the university but man oh man he is not a good PA guy sadly.

Yeah I can’t stand Larry Tolbert. I know he gives a lot of money and has done great things for the university but man oh man he is not a good PA guy sadly.

I did get cracked up in the championship game when the ref keep trying to give an explanation and our PA wouldn’t stop talking. The red turned his mic on and off at least 4x. The TV crew kinda chuckled about it - was sorta awkward.

Yeah you go to a minor league baseball game, those people know how to promote and get people to come who don't care who the team is playing, but they come back.

Speaking of the PA, could we do something about that. There were a lot of unhappy people in the stands when the refs were trying to announce what the penalty was on a couple of occasions, where they just had to stand and wait while the PA guy continued to prattle on about one dumb ass thing or another for what seemed like a couple of minutes...

One fan said he listened to the game and said he could hear fans yelling at the PA guy to shutup...

Saturday, as obnoxious Rap music blasted my ear drums while getting in my regular seat in section 1QQ I watched as the Tens of fans filed in for the game. My mind drifted off to another time another place. If only had been more than a dream. But this is what I remember before I was jolted back to reality by more obnoxious Rap songs .............

Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, and Blue Raider fans from all over the world, I would like to introduce you to The New Blue Raider Game Day Experience. Never before have you experienced anything like this in College Football. We are here to make your Experience at Johnny ‘Red Floyd’ stadium the IN place to be on game day. As you enter our new 100 million dollar state of the art facilities thru the main gate (Gate 2- move the family Fun Zone ) you will fall in love with the Blue Raider Beer Garden. The Garden will have a Chop House feel serving beer and wine with a local flavor from the Middle Tennessee area -some even from our very own Fermenting College brewery. This is also a great place to kick back and lounge in our comfortable bar top seating ,enjoy some great Game food and view other games on our many big screen TV’s. Confrontable couch seating will also be available for just hanging out and texting your friends on what they are missing. Our top notch wait staff will handle your every need. The Garden is right above field level so you can get a great game day feel close to the action but just a step away from your favorite amenities. You will also be able to purchase Beer/wine and food on the second level. No longer having to make your way down to the first level for these items.

Instead of trotting out Dr Sidney McPhee his wife and/or Chris Massaro during time outs and boring you to sleep with the voice of Larry Tolbert, MT will introduce you to your game day host. Your host will be accompanied by a camera man and will conduct video interviews and game day contests all over Floyd Stadium. You never know where he may pop up or who he may be interviewing. From the locker room area, the concourse, or on the field, MT video host will keep you up to date with the latest in Game Day happenings. Who knows he/she just may interview a players parent, a big time Alumni (like KB when he was here for the WKU game) or just some rowdy MT fan having a great time. Seat Upgrades ,tickets, and other freebies will the talk of the game.

Before each game MT will reintroduce a Hall of Famer (or current celeb, again KB for instance) to the crowd. This person will lead the crowd in the “Let’s Go Blue” Chant from field level just minutes before the team storms on to Horace Jones Field . New to the MT game experience will be a new Blue Raider Mascot. Beginning this year as the Team enters the hollowed ground of Horace Jones Field your Blue Raiders will be led on the turf by the New Lightning. A ‘Blue Raider” mounted atop a beautiful white stallion (named Lightning) carrying a bolt of lightning to mid filed as the 10K Blue Raider fans greet the team with the MT fight song.

Blue Raider fans, under the concourse you will find may other opportunities to help you enjoy the Blue Raider game day experience. MT will introduce our Bass Fishing club (who knew ). Former Blue Raider and now Pro Bass fisherman Kendall Newsome will be on hand to demonstrate casting techniques as well as the newest fishing lures and tips. Your kids will be able to brush up on their casting skills in the Blue Sea and possibly catch a prize. Your MT Hockey club will also have a slap shot booth set up on the concourse. Try your shot against one of our Blue raider hockey players and see if you have what it takes. In another area of the “Underground “shoot free throws or play a game of horse with one of our men’s or ladies BB players. Don’t forget to stop by and get a signed autograph or picture taken with Former Blue Raider (…………..) or Lightning.

If you love getting LOUD and Cheering for your Blue Raiders from your seat, then you will love and appreciate our new Raider yell leaders. Yell leaders will be placed throughout Floyd Stadium helping us coordinate those cheers and chants can disrupt the opposing team, start many new traditions and give Floyd stadium the home field advantage it so deserves. Also, Blue raider fans, in addition to our long time mascot Lightning we will be introducing this year “Scary Raider. Scary Raider will be assisting in chants and cheers and will be roaming about the stadium making himself available for pictures and interaction with the fans .

If corporate exposure is what you are looking for take advantage of our corporate tail gate tent experience. Your company can rent a tent at field level under the video board in the south endzone. This is the ultimate game day experience for your corporate events , birthday parties, frat/ sorority events etc…

Blue raider fans we understand your game day experience may include a trip to the bath room while you are here. Don’t worry you will not miss one second of the action. Your JRF bathroom facilities will be equipped with TV’s and audio so you can stay on top of everything happening on the field and never miss a score while you are taking care of business. You will never run out of paper towels either. Our wonderful staff will be at your beckoned call to ensure we are well stocked on the essentials. You may even be able to get a splash of your favorite cologne while you are there.

Tired of the same ole Hot Dogs and cold popcorn on game day? Your Blue Raider vendors will be updating the stadium cuisine with those game day party favorites you likely enjoy at home. Yes, Slick Pig wings, Blue Raider Brats, Mission BBQ, and Toots Fried pickles , all brought to you by Murfreesboro’s favorite caterers and restaurants. Come early and tail gate in your seat. Watch the Raiders Pregame warmups and stuff yourself with great food with a ‘Boro flare.

And of Course Blue Raider fans we will Always do our Middle Tennessee rendition of that stadium favorite “Sweet Caroline”. You don’t want to miss your chance to sing along and get recognized on the Big Screen.

Don’t miss a minute of the FUN. See you at the Floyd. Go Blue!

Merry Christmas -just My .02

What am I missing. Your thoughts ?

ODU is great for the conference. They have a storied basketball program and people actually attending football games.

Whenever someone asks me who plays in our conference I first say Marshall then UTEP and probably after that ODU.

Saturday, as obnoxious Rap music blasted my ear drums while getting in my regular seat in section 1QQ I watched as the Tens of fans filed in for the game. My mind drifted off to another time another place. If only had been more than a dream. But this is what I remember before I was jolted back to reality by more obnoxious Rap songs .............

Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, and Blue Raider fans from all over the world, I would like to introduce you to The New Blue Raider Game Day Experience. Never before have you experienced anything like this in College Football. We are here to make your Experience at Johnny ‘Red Floyd’ stadium the IN place to be on game day. As you enter our new 100 million dollar state of the art facilities thru the main gate (Gate 2- move the family Fun Zone ) you will fall in love with the Blue Raider Beer Garden. The Garden will have a Chop House feel serving beer and wine with a local flavor from the Middle Tennessee area -some even from our very own Fermenting College brewery. This is also a great place to kick back and lounge in our comfortable bar top seating ,enjoy some great Game food and view other games on our many big screen TV’s. Confrontable couch seating will also be available for just hanging out and texting your friends on what they are missing. Our top notch wait staff will handle your every need. The Garden is right above field level so you can get a great game day feel close to the action but just a step away from your favorite amenities. You will also be able to purchase Beer/wine and food on the second level. No longer having to make your way down to the first level for these items.

Instead of trotting out Dr Sidney McPhee his wife and/or Chris Massaro during time outs and boring you to sleep with the voice of Larry Tolbert, MT will introduce you to your game day host. Your host will be accompanied by a camera man and will conduct video interviews and game day contests all over Floyd Stadium. You never know where he may pop up or who he may be interviewing. From the locker room area, the concourse, or on the field, MT video host will keep you up to date with the latest in Game Day happenings. Who knows he/she just may interview a players parent, a big time Alumni (like KB when he was here for the WKU game) or just some rowdy MT fan having a great time. Seat Upgrades ,tickets, and other freebies will the talk of the game.

Before each game MT will reintroduce a Hall of Famer (or current celeb, again KB for instance) to the crowd. This person will lead the crowd in the “Let’s Go Blue” Chant from field level just minutes before the team storms on to Horace Jones Field . New to the MT game experience will be a new Blue Raider Mascot. Beginning this year as the Team enters the hollowed ground of Horace Jones Field your Blue Raiders will be led on the turf by the New Lightning. A ‘Blue Raider” mounted atop a beautiful white stallion (named Lightning) carrying a bolt of lightning to mid filed as the 10K Blue Raider fans greet the team with the MT fight song.

Blue Raider fans, under the concourse you will find may other opportunities to help you enjoy the Blue Raider game day experience. MT will introduce our Bass Fishing club (who knew ). Former Blue Raider and now Pro Bass fisherman Kendall Newsome will be on hand to demonstrate casting techniques as well as the newest fishing lures and tips. Your kids will be able to brush up on their casting skills in the Blue Sea and possibly catch a prize. Your MT Hockey club will also have a slap shot booth set up on the concourse. Try your shot against one of our Blue raider hockey players and see if you have what it takes. In another area of the “Underground “shoot free throws or play a game of horse with one of our men’s or ladies BB players. Don’t forget to stop by and get a signed autograph or picture taken with Former Blue Raider (…………..) or Lightning.

If you love getting LOUD and Cheering for your Blue Raiders from your seat, then you will love and appreciate our new Raider yell leaders. Yell leaders will be placed throughout Floyd Stadium helping us coordinate those cheers and chants can disrupt the opposing team, start many new traditions and give Floyd stadium the home field advantage it so deserves. Also, Blue raider fans, in addition to our long time mascot Lightning we will be introducing this year “Scary Raider. Scary Raider will be assisting in chants and cheers and will be roaming about the stadium making himself available for pictures and interaction with the fans .

If corporate exposure is what you are looking for take advantage of our corporate tail gate tent experience. Your company can rent a tent at field level under the video board in the south endzone. This is the ultimate game day experience for your corporate events , birthday parties, frat/ sorority events etc…

Blue raider fans we understand your game day experience may include a trip to the bath room while you are here. Don’t worry you will not miss one second of the action. Your JRF bathroom facilities will be equipped with TV’s and audio so you can stay on top of everything happening on the field and never miss a score while you are taking care of business. You will never run out of paper towels either. Our wonderful staff will be at your beckoned call to ensure we are well stocked on the essentials. You may even be able to get a splash of your favorite cologne while you are there.

Tired of the same ole Hot Dogs and cold popcorn on game day? Your Blue Raider vendors will be updating the stadium cuisine with those game day party favorites you likely enjoy at home. Yes, Slick Pig wings, Blue Raider Brats, Mission BBQ, and Toots Fried pickles , all brought to you by Murfreesboro’s favorite caterers and restaurants. Come early and tail gate in your seat. Watch the Raiders Pregame warmups and stuff yourself with great food with a ‘Boro flare.

And of Course Blue Raider fans we will Always do our Middle Tennessee rendition of that stadium favorite “Sweet Caroline”. You don’t want to miss your chance to sing along and get recognized on the Big Screen.

Don’t miss a minute of the FUN. See you at the Floyd. Go Blue!

Merry Christmas -just My .02

What am I missing. Your thoughts ?

When pigs fly.

I'll be honest...If they opened up an area with a tailgaiting style atmosphere hours before the game with beverages and food, I'd be all over that. Lugging 4 little ones to a tailgate just stinks. Watch other games on tvs. That would be awesome.

Reactions: MarJac23 and MTLynn
Make it an event. I’m a Cowboys fan. Third generation. And yes. Jerry Jones is the biggest problem. The man can’t run a football team. But he is a hell of a business man. He created a stadium where football isn’t first. There’s a Victoria’s Secret in there for Pete’s sake. The team isn’t worth billions because they are winning.

You can create an atmosphere that makes people want to come even if some of those things make the game secondary.

For the life of me I can’t understand why the AD doesn’t use our own marketing students. Make it a class every year. Marketing Athletics. Free ideas. Sheesh. I bet they could come up with some awesome ones.

I know I'm the odd man out and not that "2018", but I hate the frilly crap live sports has now. I just want to watch the game with fans that are on the same page. I'm all about great food and drink options. I just don't marinate in technology 24/7, so I don't need dribble to occupy my mind during a lull. In my mind, fans make up the majority of the game day atmosphere. I went to First TN Park the first year it was open, and was frustrated at navigating around the stadium from all the people standing around the concourses just talking and clogging up everything. They weren't even there to watch the game. Again, my preferences won't put people in seats, but does anyone else feel that way? *shakes fist angrily one time and steps off old man soapbox*

Give me:

North
Marshall
ODU
MT
WKU
App
Charlotte
Coastal

South
GSU
GS
FAU
FIU
UAB
USA
Troy
USM

stAte
ULL
ULM
La Tech
North Texas
Rice
Texas State
Texas San Antonio
Texas El Paso
(NMSU?)

You left Liberty off your list....I'm kidding, I'm kidding.

I did see where LU hired Freezus as their new HC. Nothing says football > integrity by hiring the former Baylor AD who oversaw the rape/sexual assault scandal and a new coach who was banging escorts / getting his team into major NCAA violations while twitting the bible versus of the day & daring people to provide evidence of his program's violations.

I do and I totally get it but I don't think its a terrible thing to desire more. I'm in my 40s but my attention has focused less on the players as I've gotten older. I'm certainly not going to fawn over a 20 year old so I really look for just having a good time at any venue...whether it is watching a concert, team or going out in general. Now with my kid's sports, it is a different story.

I know I'm the odd man out and not that "2018", but I hate the frilly crap live sports has now. I just want to watch the game with fans that are on the same page. I'm all about great food and drink options. I just don't marinate in technology 24/7, so I don't need dribble to occupy my mind during a lull. In my mind, fans make up the majority of the game day atmosphere. I went to First TN Park the first year it was open, and was frustrated at navigating around the stadium from all the people standing around the concourses just talking and clogging up everything. They weren't even there to watch the game. Again, my preferences won't put people in seats, but does anyone else feel that way? *shakes fist angrily one time and steps off old man soapbox*

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT