ADVERTISEMENT

Our spirituality is what makes us who we are

nashvillegoldenflash

Hall of Famer
Dec 10, 2006
BBJ, why do you think that you and Mike are the only ones on this forum who seem to always agree with me on the issues? I'm convinced it is our shared spirituality. The soul is what gives us our spirituality and our soul and our spirituality is what makes us who we are. What other reasons could explain why we always agree when everyone else seems to disagree?

While the Gospel drives me and gives me discernment, it would be natural for people who believe to have similar views politically. Ultimately it is my faith that is most important, our govt form could be communist and I still would practice my faith and I think God would still thrive.

Another big factor for me is life experience. My family really struggled, as a child living in with a single mom and living in govt housing I have vivid memories. I could share stories. It wasn't until my mom remarried that we got out of poverty - family is important, the union of a man and a woman to preserve a family is a combination that works every time - its basic to the construct of life.

Growing up this way, I had to work for anything I wanted above basic food and shelter. When I got out of HS, I had to provide for myself, I never mentally realized it was an option to rely on my parents. I went to MT and worked my way through. And the story continues and I am stronger because of my path, a lot of it I didn't choose but the values instilled in me carried me through.

The foundations of our country are very weak. I hate that we have done it to ourselves. I don't have any answers other than to say we are on an unsustainable path. We could bounce back and enjoy lots of good years or continue the long slow decline; either way the is not my home. While I am passing through I am gonna use the rest of my time trusting in God first, being the best citizen of America second.

Mike, I agree with you that it's only natural for people who believe to have similar views politically. But our agreement is not just limited to political issues but also includes ethics, moral principles, and proper conduct and standards of behavior. For example, you and BBJ were the only ones, besides myself, who did not defend the eye gouging incident against Navy in the Armed Forces Bowl. Everyone else not only seemed to defend the thug-like behavior but even took it a step further by bashing the Naval Academy. When I read the posts that stated the Navy players were given special treatment during the bowl festivities and that was the justification for the eye-gouging, I couldn't help think about the scene in Officer and a Gentleman when the local yocal says, "You rich college boys come strutting around in your ice cream outfits like you own the goddamn place. Who do you think you are?"

On another thread, I called out the rednecks who chanted FU Florida during the closing minutes of the UT-Florida game. The silence from MT posters regarding Vawl indiscretions not only shows me many of them condone the behavior but also applaud it. Kindred spirits no doubt. Although you and BBJ have refrained from criticizing the Vawls, I'm certain you find this behavior abhorrent because of the standards that you have set for yourself. But more to my point, it is our spirituality that is the foundation of our conscience and the very source from which our moral principle derives. I believe that is what separates us from the others.

This post was edited on 10/18 12:45 PM by nashvillegoldenflash

An Officer and a Gentleman

Flash, I believe it is, indeed, our spirituality that sets you, Mike, and I apart. "...Be ye separate, sayeth the Lord..." (2 Cor.6:17) is what we aspire to, and I believe it is our shared faith in Christ and our guidance received through His Word that does set us apart.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." (Eph. 6:12) This is the true battle we face. Our battle is indeed a spiritual one as this nation is going down the same path of unrighteousness and Godlessness as did the old Roman Empire who destroyed themselves from within. Our greatest enemy is not ISIS, or Ebola, or the world economy; it is our turning away from God Almighty that is at the heart of our problems.

My prayer is that our once great nation will repent and turn back to God before it's too late.

I sincerely appreciate your's and Mike's insightful posts. "Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing." (I Thess. 5:11 NIV).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT