ADVERTISEMENT

Our problem in a nutshell

MTFNBY5

Hall of Famer
Jul 26, 2005
The lead story above the fold in today' Tennessean is about the $EC media days coming to Nashville: "SEC Media Days coming to Nashville in 2021" written by MT grad and former MT beat writer at the DNJ Adam Sparks. I don't consider sports news "hard" news and wish sports would be kept to the sports pages but am happy good guy Sparks still has a job in the dying industry.

But I call your attention to the Joe Rexrode article in the sports pages: "Media Days would be lost in Nashville". An excerpt:
"We've grown past an event like this really mattering. It might have moved the needle in 2010, but not anymore."
He went on to list some of the recent and upcoming "big-time" events in Nashville to emphasize that hosting $EC media days has become irrelevant.

Is it any wonder that G-5 FB and a %$&-major athletic program can't "move the needle" in the mid-state. The media, the casual sports fan, and even MT students and alumni could not care less about the product when all anyone, including the media, talks and writes about is not MT. (not that MT is the only area program left out).

The lead story above the fold in today' Tennessean is about the $EC media days coming to Nashville: "SEC Media Days coming to Nashville in 2021" written by MT grad and former MT beat writer at the DNJ Adam Sparks. I don't consider sports news "hard" news and wish sports would be kept to the sports pages but am happy good guy Sparks still has a job in the dying industry.

But I call your attention to the Joe Rexrode article in the sports pages: "Media Days would be lost in Nashville". An excerpt:
"We've grown past an event like this really mattering. It might have moved the needle in 2010, but not anymore."
He went on to list some of the recent and upcoming "big-time" events in Nashville to emphasize that hosting $EC media days has become irrelevant.

Is it any wonder that G-5 FB and a %$&-major athletic program can't "move the needle" in the mid-state. The media, the casual sports fan, and even MT students and alumni could not care less about the product when all anyone, including the media, talks and writes about is not MT. (not that MT is the only area program left out).
Couldn't agree more.

Agree 100%. We should have made the 1-A move 10-15 years earlier to have given ourselves a chance to establish relevance as a top level athletic program. Of course, at that time we had no idea of the pro sports on the way.

Agree 100%. We should have made the 1-A move 10-15 years earlier to have given ourselves a chance to establish relevance as a top level athletic program. Of course, at that time we had no idea of the pro sports on the way.

They should've made the move when Akron and Youngstown did in the late 80's

as far as media days, last week i heard one of the sports talk out of nashville, talking with one of the athlon or another publication writers, and asked if they were going to have a media presence at the $ec days, and basically his response was no, with it being all on the $ec network, there was no sense duplicating that effort when the sec programs first priority was giving the best stuff as far as availability and time to the conference tv network.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT