ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Coordinator ideas

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
What I want is pretty simple. A young, productive OC that wants to make a name for himself with good lineage and likes a QB who can run. Some considerations:

Willy Korn - Co-OC @ Coastal. Currently making 215k. Offer him 300k to come here + no state taxes in TN. That's a big net pay raise for him and he gets to remove the "Co" tag and be the primary play caller.

Major Applewhite - OC @ South Alabama. Currently making $281k @ South Alabama. This would be difficult as it's mostly a lateral move for him, but could offer $325k and really hire a proven, great offensive coach here. No state taxes in TN, so, for someone making $300k, that's a difference of 15k per year because he's paying 5% state taxes in Alabama right now. So we could increase him, net-wise if we offer 325k, almost $59,000. It's worth asking.

Cortez Hankton - Receivers / Passing game coordinator @ UGA. Currently making 550k @ UGA, but could we entice him with an official coordinator position and offer head coach in waiting if Stockstill plans to retire soon? Seems unlikely, but doesn't hurt to ask. I'd hire him to be our head coach if the position was available in a heart beat.

Tim Harris Jr - Co-OC / RB @ UCF. Current salary, $325k. We could match that, remove the "Co" title, and actually let him call plays. I like his pedigree and he is an excellent Florida recruiter.

Brent Stockstill - Wide Receivers Co @ MTSU. Currently making 65k. Coach's son. Holds several records as a MTSU QB.

• Haha
Reactions: Blue_H
I think we are going to struggle to find a quality candidate. The last few ones have left on difficult circumstances. With Dearman leaving for a lateral move that has to send a message to potential candidates. Also, I wonder if Dearman was just so desperate to leave Kansas, he just took what he could to get out as quickly as possible. He obviously doesn't think the HC position at MT is either desirable or opening soon. That is very disappointing.

I think we will have to get an up and coming either lower position coach or someone at a lower division. I like the idea of targeting the co-OC's out there. That might work out well. I really think we have to get creative here, but it MUST be a person that likes a more mobile QB. Especially with our OL.

Major Applewhite - OC @ South Alabama. Currently making $281k @ South Alabama. This would be difficult as it's mostly a lateral move for him, but could offer $325k and really hire a proven, great offensive coach here. No state taxes in TN, so, for someone making $300k, that's a difference of 15k per year because he's paying 5% state taxes in Alabama right now. So we could increase him, net-wise if we offer 325k, almost $59,000. It's worth asking.

Doubt it, South Alabama has way better facilities than us, new football stadium, covered practice fields, football operation center. Can't see it happening.

Cortez Hankton - Receivers / Passing game coordinator @ UGA. Currently making 550k @ UGA, but could we entice him with an official coordinator position and offer head coach in waiting if Stockstill plans to retire soon? Seems unlikely, but doesn't hurt to ask. I'd hire him to be our head coach if the position was available in a heart beat.

If that's (Stockstill plans) is on the table I doubt Dearman would have left unless there is poison in the water here. Chances are he just waits until he gets the OC job at UGA and then he can pretty much right his own ticket to the HC job after a few years.

Tim Harris Jr - Co-OC / RB @ UCF. Current salary, $325k. We could match that, remove the "Co" title, and actually let him call plays. I like his pedigree and he is an excellent Florida recruiter.

I think the first one (Coastal) and this one have the most legs.

Scratch Hankton off the list. He's going to LSU.

What if we just learn to run the old school Triple Option? It's been somewhat successful with the military schools. Nobody runs it anymore and it's hard to recruit to a school like that, but some school will roll the dice and see what they can do with it. Keeps your defense off the field, shutting down the quick scoring teams. I'm joking, but I think we need to think outside of the box a bit as the gap between MT and the bigger conferences widen.

We either have to pull from FCS or take a WR coach at another school.

We made FAU look stupid running the wildcat when Brent went down a couple years ago. Option offense would be fun to watch.
Scratch Hankton off the list. He's going to LSU.

What if we just learn to run the old school Triple Option? It's been somewhat successful with the military schools. Nobody runs it anymore and it's hard to recruit to a school like that, but some school will roll the dice and see what they can do with it. Keeps your defense off the field, shutting down the quick scoring teams. I'm joking, but I think we need to think outside of the box a bit as the gap between MT and the bigger conferences widen.

We either have to pull from FCS or take a WR coach at another school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT