ADVERTISEMENT

Observations of Spring Game 2015......Defensive Tackles and Ends

MTsumner92

All American
Jul 31, 2005
Hendersonville
Before spring practice started I was really down on McNeil. Injury prone and just never seemed to live up to his potential. I rated the top DT's is order as Huff, McBride, and a tie between Felton, McNeil, and Bennett. Then after I watched the them play I had to rub my eyes a couple of times because I couldn't believe what I was seeing. McNeil was disruptive. He was even pushing the OL back to collapse the pocket. I haven't seen that yet. He was going against a good OL too. It looks like the light has finally come on. Yes I know he has dealt with a lot of injuries but everyone thought he would of shown us something by now and yet he hasn't. Welcome back McNeil!

McBride looked really good as well. His upper body is filling out and looks just as disruptive. Powerful hands and very mobile. Huff looked his usual run stuffing self but still doesn't help much against the pass. These three will be lethal in goal line situations. I now rank them in this order: McBride and McNeil tied for 1st and then Huff, followed by Felton and Bennett. Our DT position is much improved.

Third string is Stewart and Akins. Both are quick but undersized. They have great upside but just not physical yet. They need to put up a couple of cots in the corner of the weight room for these two. They are the future.

Rhodes and Hale are going to help us this year. They are both very physical and good against the run. Rhodes even gives us some pass rush which I have not seen from him. Both are much improved. The bad news is I didn't see any depth. We need to find 3 more out of Jones, Antoine, Bailey, Aurismond, Evans, and Wells. Liggins needs to live in the weight room and sleep next to the food cabinet. Hopefully 3 of these will step up. Not much hope for Jones though as he would of been one of those three. Hopefully someone that reads this can give me some hope here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT