ADVERTISEMENT

BB RECRUITING November 13-20, Early signing period

Greenforrest is a program you want to get in good with. They bring in a lot of the African players

Reactions: MTLynn
Expectations for tomorrow?

I know Matt has been in contact with Fussell but no word on his intentions during the period. Houston is a watch and see play for sure - but to my knowledge MT was the only early visit he took so common core math tells me they’re up there lol. Gun to head I think he waits though..

I've been following MT BkB recruiting since I became a fan 50 +/- years ago. The first day of the NCAA signing period is my Christmas morning. Unfortunately, Santa is late this year.

Very hard seeing other schools web sites touting their signees along with the morning newspaper having articles on some school's recruits knowing we have no players in the fold just yet. The two (?) recruits we sign are crucial to the program's future. McDevitt and his staff have been in place long enough to show their recruiting competency with this year's (small) class.

I sure hope to see some good news soon. (As always, would love to be overwhelmed by the quality of our signees.)

Pretty important that we sign a big guy. Good deal. Assume this kid plays right away next year?

Fussell said that he is 6-9 220. MT lists him at 6-10.... not that it matters but I find it annoying for teams to have inaccurate player measurements - in any sport.

What I like is the signing of 4 year guys. It's great now and then to have a juco or two that can contribute, but it's the guys who are going to be here for four years that are the bedrock, the foundation for building a program the right way, and less likely to have things fall apart quickly down the line. And hoping they truly are not done this early signing period. If they could reel in another big, another high school talent like Donte Houston, we're going to have a solid front line for years.

Reactions: crposton
Also, by having 4 year players, the fans become more attached to the players and that computers into more butts in the seats and added enthusiasm... which becomes contagious...

Excellent point! Guys like Giddy Potts and Reggie Upshaw be came household names to our fans because they were 4 year players, more so then Laron Dendy or Jacorey Williams who were great players but did not play their whole career here.

We still have a good reputation it seems. The guys coming out now were in Jr. High when we shocked the world.They remember. We probably have one or two more years of that. Therefore, we need a shock the world moment in the next two years. I don't think it will be this year but next year my expectations will be much higher. There is an outside chance that we could be sneaky good by the end of this season but so far our defense keeps that sliver of optimism at bay.

Get away from your devices for a few hours and come back to see the expected signing of Fussell has happened (a watched pot never boils).
A good start to what I hope will be a great small class.
Anyone have anything on expectations of another signing in the early period?

The “surprise” ended up being no surprise at all. Houston is still the guy they’re all in on. The surprise would be him actually pulling the trigger and signing early vs waiting things out. The staff is pushing hard here, but I get the sense he may opt to wait things out a bit. He’s getting even more media attention now then before. Hard to put a halt to all that when your 17-18 years old.

They’ve got 4 days to change his mind.

If they don't get him in the early period, it may tougher competition to get him in the spring. Hope Nick and staff are able to convince him signing and having no distractions for his senior season is the way to go.

Does anyone know if we are still actively recruiting the other "Bigs" we have allegedly offered that haven't committed/signed elsewhere?

ADVERTISEMENT