ADVERTISEMENT

Notes from College Basketball Almanac

sWiley

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2012
I'll be posting notes here about MT and CUSA as I read through the College Basketball Almanac. This almanac is an 814 page preview for the 2022-2023 college basketball season.

To say there is a lot of info would be an understatement. It's available for $19.99 if you want a copy. Well worth it IMO. Especially if you plan to bet the upcoming season. Can't wait for Monday.

THE ALMANAC: The Year of the Big; A 2022-23 College Basketball Preview Digital Magazine

For CUSA:

1. Can the league get an at-large bid? C-USA boasts top-shelf contenders and tremendous depth.

2. C-USA has just one new coach: Louisiana Tech’s Talvin Hester. How will he fare in his initial campaign?

3. The sport’s tallest player and best shot-blocker resides here. You’ll want to watch WKU’s Jamarion Sharp play.

4. Florida Atlantic has a chance at the program’s best season ever. How high can these Owls fly?

5. Both UAB and North Texas feature incredible scoring guards: the Blazers’ Jelly Walker and the Mean Green’s Tylor Perry

They have MT projected 5th. Weston makes 2nd team as a guard for us but that's it.

T Lenard voted breakout player of the year.

Reactions: tyler90wm and Hop45
43% of made 3 pointers lost with graduation of Jefferson & Sims. With Jalen Jordan now done due to injury, who will be a deep threat for MT? Don't really see any sharp shooters on the roster unless new JUCO guards Trevon Smith and Jestin Porter surprise. One of the new guards will have to be a significant contributor or MT will suffer.

MT ranked #228 in the country and #10 in CUSA in defensive rebounding last season, must figure out a way to improve on that.

Projected starting line up:

C Weston - G
E Lawrence - G
T Lenard - G
T Millin - F
D Dishman - F

Last edited:
Everything posted I agree with. I really believe CUSA can be a multi-team bid league this year. 4 strong teams at the top I could see all winning a game in the dance.

Reactions: MTFAN61
CUSA boasts #1, #2, #5 "25 Mid Major Teams to Watch"....future CUSA members Liberty and NMSU at #7 and #13, respectively.

1. UAB Blazers Head coach Andy Kennedy returns three starters from an NCAA Tournament team, including the frontrunner for C-USA Player of the Year, Jelly Walker. The backcourt pairing of Walker and LSU transfer Eric Gaines should be one of the nations’ best.

2. North Texas Mean Green The Mean Green have turned into a juggernaut under head coach Grant McCasland, winning 20-plus games in four of the past five seasons. Standout guard Tylor Perry — a threat to go for 20 on any given night — and a disciplined defense lead the way.

5. Western Kentucky Hilltoppers WKU has never lacked in the talent department under head coach Rick Stansbury, but the Hilltoppers have yet to see the Big Dance in six seasons. With high-level studs in Jamarion Sharp, Dayvion McKnight, and Emmanuel Akot, that could soon change.

Liberty guard Darius McGhee makes the pre-season All American Honorable Mention list, he is the nations Top Returning Scorer

Current G5 and future Big12 member Houston Cougars are pre-season #1. Not sure I have ever seen a non-powder 5 school as a pre-season #1 in a major publication.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Kermit Davis makes the list of 12 coaches on the hot seat:

Kermit Davis, Ole Miss Record: 64-61 (30-42, SEC) in four seasons Davis started off well, winning 20 games his first season in Oxford and taking the Rebels to the NCAA Tournament. But the last three years resulted in just a single NIT appearance in 2021. Davis must get back over the .500 mark this season following a 13-19 overall record in 2021-22

WKU's Jamarion Sharp named as a Top 25 Breakout player to watch

22. Jamarion Sharp, Western Kentucky Bad news, C-USA foes: Sharp pulled his name out of the portal and came back to WKU. The 7-5 Goliath led the league in block percentage, almost doubling the rate of the league’s No. 2. On the other end, Sharp is automatic, converting a stellar 78.8 percent of his shots at the rim.

Several WKU and UAB players are littered across all kinds of watch lists and pre-season awards

UAB projected to win the conference and given a 12 seed

Also, Since 2015, Conference USA is 5-2 in first-round March Madness games as a 12-seed or lower; everyone else is 15-98. UAB or WKU could be the next C-USA squad with March magic.

Really solid publication. Reminds me a bit of Phil Steele's college football preview, but for college basketball.

I wish they had more stats for each team, like returning seniors/juniors (upper classmen), returning points, rebounds, etc. A projected win/loss across the schedule would be nice too.

If you like to follow college basketball beyond just MT, it's a recommended buy for only $20

Sounds like a great read not just for inside betting scoop, but for us college basketball junkies as well. 800 plus pages & 600,000 plus words from every division 1 coach out there? Damn good find sir!

san quentin magic GIF by TITANS of CNC
Wiley doing some misdirection 😂

Possibly, perspective & misdirection are funny things. If sWiley doesn't mind me speaking, it may only be misdirection from the perspective of those still caring about a crappy football program. But If our football program is a dead subject to you then there's no misdirection at all, & you've moved on. Just like a card trick, it's all in your perspective. Notice he didn't yield a single derogatory post game statement in the La Tech page like many others did, I think sWiley's moved on.
CUSA boasts #1, #2, #5 "25 Mid Major Teams to Watch"....future CUSA members Liberty and NMSU at #7 and #13, respectively.

1. UAB Blazers Head coach Andy Kennedy returns three starters from an NCAA Tournament team, including the frontrunner for C-USA Player of the Year, Jelly Walker. The backcourt pairing of Walker and LSU transfer Eric Gaines should be one of the nations’ best.

2. North Texas Mean Green The Mean Green have turned into a juggernaut under head coach Grant McCasland, winning 20-plus games in four of the past five seasons. Standout guard Tylor Perry — a threat to go for 20 on any given night — and a disciplined defense lead the way.

5. Western Kentucky Hilltoppers WKU has never lacked in the talent department under head coach Rick Stansbury, but the Hilltoppers have yet to see the Big Dance in six seasons. With high-level studs in Jamarion Sharp, Dayvion McKnight, and Emmanuel Akot, that could soon change.

Liberty guard Darius McGhee makes the pre-season All American Honorable Mention list, he is the nations Top Returning Scorer

Current G5 and future Big12 member Houston Cougars are pre-season #1. Not sure I have ever seen a non-powder 5 school as a pre-season #1 in a major publication.
We're a strong conference now, but can you imagine conference strength if we could have snuck NMSU & Liberty in this year. If only for a year, what a year it would have made!

No sir. Basketball season tips on Monday and I couldn't be more excited and that's all this post is about. I bought this almanac today thus the post.

I've said my peace with the football program. It's dead to me. There is nothing else left to be said. I didn't watch the game today but I saw Rick's post game conference. I am starting to feel sorry for the guy, if he wasn't so grossly overpaid for so many years. He looks so defeated, dejected, and just flat out beaten. He looks like an old man swimming with young sharks. He's totally done in this sport, though he may not realize that yet. It's become impossible to cheer for them. When I got to the point where I genuinely would rather see them lose than win, I knew it was time to stop watching and commenting.

And that time has come.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT