ADVERTISEMENT

North Texas

MT01

All American
Aug 1, 2005
Even before the game got really going I was looking at the players on the field for UNT and they look like a Division 1 team. By comparison, we look like a Division 2 team. Didn't even bother comparing us on the eye test to UGA. North Texas passes the eye test. Add in having a few breaks go there way today and they are taking Arkansas to the woodshed.

CRS recruits like he approaches the two minutes before half or kick returns or punt returns. Just lay up, fair catch, be conservative. We have a roster full of I-AA guys with no size and few athletes.

Well Arkansas is horrible. They got beat by Colorado St too. UNT is snotboxing them but Arky can't begin to come close to UGA.

Come on. Do people really think we would beat Arkansas? Even with how bad they are, they are an SEC team and we just don't beat SEC teams regardless of how terrible they are. We play at Kentucky later this year. Does anyone think we have a chance in that game?

We beat Mizzou and Syracuse. Arky is worse than both of those combined. They lost to CSfrigginU. They might win 1-2 games this year. You can compare them. Vandy just about beat Norte Dame today and UGA will be playing for the title again. That's a big a$$ difference from a team that couldn't beat a team that Hawaii skull drug.

JT always white knighting and trying to prop the team up. I think we could lose every game and you'd still find a way to spin it as a positive.

Hate to break it to you, but year 13 is going to end like every other. Will you ever sober up and face the music? This program, and team, is just not very good. End of story.

Dude, we're where we are and it's not great but am I supposed to quit on my team now? Am I supposed to spew hatred when I can't change anything anyway? Does any of that change the fact that Arkansas might win 1-2 games this year? They are a much easier opponent than the 2 P5's we've had thus far. That's a fact. UNT is good but Arky sucks.

We went 2-10 in 2011 and I railed em. I'm more mad at the awful play calling than I am at the players. We have some good players. The play calling has been total crap. Does that make you happy? LOL.

The Vandy/Arkansas game will be a competitive contest unlike the MT/Vandy game. Anyone who looks at our current team we are fielding and believes we have a complete Division I-A roster can see me about great deals on ocean front real estate in Arizona.

The only teams we will beat this year - like most years in the CRS era - will be teams with losing records at the end of the year. We will surely "compete" against UTEP, Charlotte, and ODU.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I'll lay good money on that game. Vandy will trounce them. Ole Miss too and Bama just buzz sawed them.

Looking like North Texas might be undefeated going into CUSA Championship. Their biggest test will be FAU at home and @UAB. Next week at Liberty will be a big trap game coming off this Arkansas win.

The Vandy/Arkansas game will be a competitive contest unlike the MT/Vandy game. Anyone who looks at our current team we are fielding and believes we have a complete Division I-A roster can see me about great deals on ocean front real estate in Arizona.

The only teams we will beat this year - like most years in the CRS era - will be teams with losing records at the end of the year. We will surely "compete" against UTEP, Charlotte, and ODU.

For the record, I just posted my disappointment filled concerns in the UGA game thread before I read your posts in this thread. I mention this because I'm seeing remarkably close to the same things you are seeing and posting.

I'll lay money that we finish better than 4. You wanna go 100.00?
Looking like North Texas might be undefeated going into CUSA Championship. Their biggest test will be FAU at home and @UAB. Next week at Liberty will be a big trap game coming off this Arkansas win.

Yeah, there's no one in the west that can touch them right now. It's not even close. UNT's challenge will be shutting down the run and FAU is all about that right now. However, I think FAU will lose to UNT this year. UAB won't have a shot vs. UNT. They are dialed in.

NT has had a great start. We shall see. I think for CUSA teams we need a bigger body of work. I mean Marshall hasn't lost but hasn't played a good team yet, not convinced NT has either.

BTW, did y'all see that fake fair catch play by UNT's punt returner? I've never seen that before in all my years of watching this sport.

NT has had a great start. We shall see. I think for CUSA teams we need a bigger body of work. I mean Marshall hasn't lost but hasn't played a good team yet, not convinced NT has either.

That's a good point. SMU is a lot like Arky. LaTech may give UNT some trouble the more I think about it. I was really hoping Marshall would have played SC yesterday. That would have given us a lot more perspective.

I'll lay money that we finish better than 4. You wanna go 100.00?

That's some sky high expectations you have there. Senior stud QB, junior and senior laden roster, coach who has been here 13 years....and we are gonna finish better than 4th in CUSA?

#expectations

I just spit my tea!!!! LMAO!
You would be drinking tea.

Wiley, The other guy said we wouldn't reach that. I say we will. Nothing to do with what I expect, it's what I know. My happiness isn't tied to this team. I'm a MT fan no matter what. I want change like anyone else but like all of the other years when everybody b!tches and moans, we can't do squat about it. But have fun thinking you can.

I think it is time for a coaching change too, but you all downplay what Stock has actually done. We have some of the worst facilities in our conference and in the FBS. Why is that? We do not have any money because we cannot get enough people to donate or go to games. Then on here I see people already talking about not going to game because we start 1-2 with losses to the defending national runner-up and a team that took Notre Dame to the wire in South Bend. I am shocked we are not 3-0 too, but we have been bowl eligible 8 times the last decade. I wonder how many other teams with our athletic budget can say that. It would be nice to have our school in a recruiting hotbed like Texas or Florida, but we don't. I say wait until after the FAU and Marshall games before we give up on the season. I am sure if we win both those and are 3-2 all of you will be changing your tune a little. Someone on another thread mentioned wanting the next PJ Fleck and being okay with turnover because then you know you are doing something right. Well other than the 12 win season where they did not play for the national championship they won 6-8 games. That sounds familiar to me. After the 12 win season they lose their coach and go 6-6. I am all for getting a young and inspiring coach, but if we cannot keep him here it will not be any different. Same thing will happen at FAU when Kiffin leaves.

Reactions: MarJac23
I think it is time for a coaching change too, but you all downplay what Stock has actually done. We have some of the worst facilities in our conference and in the FBS. Why is that? We do not have any money because we cannot get enough people to donate or go to games. Then on here I see people already talking about not going to game because we start 1-2 with losses to the defending national runner-up and a team that took Notre Dame to the wire in South Bend. I am shocked we are not 3-0 too, but we have been bowl eligible 8 times the last decade. I wonder how many other teams with our athletic budget can say that. It would be nice to have our school in a recruiting hotbed like Texas or Florida, but we don't. I say wait until after the FAU and Marshall games before we give up on the season. I am sure if we win both those and are 3-2 all of you will be changing your tune a little. Someone on another thread mentioned wanting the next PJ Fleck and being okay with turnover because then you know you are doing something right. Well other than the 12 win season where they did not play for the national championship they won 6-8 games. That sounds familiar to me. After the 12 win season they lose their coach and go 6-6. I am all for getting a young and inspiring coach, but if we cannot keep him here it will not be any different. Same thing will happen at FAU when Kiffin leaves.

At least they had a 12-0 season, played in an amazing bowl game, and were media darlings for quite a while. They are certainly more on the map and more well known than we are thanks to that season. Their recruiting is also much better now ever since the season so it won't be long before they are making noise again. Been very impressed with WMU's last few classes. They had an OL player choose WMU over offers from Michigan, Michigan State, Florida, Tennessee, Penn State, Nebraska, etc. Big time, 4 star prospect. You think that would ever happen at Little Middle? Our staff isn't even going after those type of players, much less signing them.

Nobody here is expecting double digit wins every year, but when your coach is on year #13 and has never fielded the best team in his conference, you've got a problem. By sheer F'ing luck of the draw we should have won a conference title by now, but nope. We've never even made the CUSA title game since joining CUSA.....Our budgets are also comparable and always have been compared to our conference brethren. When we were in the SBC our budget was one of the best in the conference. Now that we are in CUSA it's still very comparable to big boys in the league. Tired of the money excuses.

We've had 2 decades now to improve our facilities and we've done nothing beyond some new turf and a big TV. McPhee, Massaro, and Stockstill all need to be fired as far as I'm concerned. Our problems are systemic and originate from the top and filter down. All 3 of those clowns are middle of pack, mediocrity accepting, eating-for-free FOOLS.

With regards to this season, do you really think this team is better than FAU, Marshall, North Texas, or even La. Tech? I don't. And when this season plays out and the fruit comes to bear you'll see I'm right.

The FAU game is a must-win game, because we will get toasted @ Marshall. Season is literally over if we don't win in 2 weeks, and I'm not holding my breath. FAU is more talented all around, including at QB. I wish those weren't the facts, but they are.

Last edited:
At least they had a 12-0 season, played in an amazing bowl game, and were media darlings for quite a while. They are certainly more on the map and more well known than we are thanks to that season. Their recruiting is also much better now ever since the season so it won't be long before they are making noise again. Been very impressed with WMU's last few classes.

Nobody here is expecting double digit wins every year, but when your coach is on year #13 and has never fielded the best team in his conference, you've got a problem. By sheer F'ing luck of the draw we should have won a conference title by now, but nope. We've never even made the CUSA title game since joining CUSA.....

Do you really think this team is better than FAU, Marshall, North Texas, or even La. Tech? I don't. And when this season plays out and the fruit comes to bear you'll see I'm right.

The FAU game is a must-win game, because we will get toasted @ Marshall. Season is literally over if we don't win in 2 weeks, and I'm not holding my breath. FAU is more talented all around, including at QB. I wish those weren't the facts, but they are.
I agree we should have won a conference championship by now. I do not see how on paper FAU is considered better than us. They got beat by OU worse than we did Georgia and they only beat Bethune-Cookman 49-28. I am not saying we will definitely beat FAU or Marshall, but I am saying we will not know what we have until those two games are played.

I agree we should have won a conference championship by now. I do not see how on paper FAU is considered better than us. They got beat by OU worse than we did Georgia and they only beat Bethune-Cookman 49-28. I am not saying we will definitely beat FAU or Marshall, but I am saying we will not know what we have until those two games are played.

Their QB, Chris Robison, was one of the top QB recruits in the country coming out of high school. He transferred to FAU because he couldn't beat out Baker Mayfield, no shame there. Thus far this season, against similar competition, he has looked fantastic. He has more talent than Brent Stockstill.

Their RB, Devin Singletary, was a 4th team All American last year and easily is the most talented RB in our conference. He'll be drafted for sure.

Their OL is stocked full of seniors and juniors out of the talented state of Florida. Outside of the Oklahoma game, they've done a fantastic job. Clearly better than anything we have.

Their WR group is stacked and led by players who were some of the top WR recruits coming out of high school. Jovon Durante #23 WR coming out of high school, a West Virginia transfer, and DeAndre McNeal #41 WR coming out of high school. 2nd Team All Conference sure-handed TE Harrison Bryant is a huge threat as well.

On defense, they return two of the best defensive players in the conference and probably the country, LB Azeez Al-Shaair and CB Shelton Lewis Sr. Both will be playing on Sundays. The rest of their defense is littered with Juniors and Seniors who were a part of last year's absolute dismantling of CUSA. Overall, they return 10 starters on defense which is just insane.

See what I'm sayin?

It's going to take the game of our lives to beat FAU and an off night from the Owls. They are simply more talented than we are and have a better coaching staff. I wish that weren't the case.

Lost 63-14 to OU and only beat Bethune-Cookman 49-28. Season 3 of “Last Chance U” the Juco featured had 30 D1 transfers most from P5 and still got destroyed. Robison could not beat out anyone and FAU had a FSU transfer that could not beat out Driskel who was already at FAU. Why couldn’t a former Elite 11 caliber QB beat out Driskel? Robison has proven nothing. Ask Kevin Byard or Ed Reed if star ratings matter.

If Robison is so good how come he could not beat out a two time walk-on in Mayfield. Such a high rated recruit could not take the job from a walk-on.

If Robison is so good how come he could not beat out a two time walk-on in Mayfield. Such a high rated recruit could not take the job from a walk-on.

Is this a joke? He couldn't beat out Baker Mayfield because Baker Mayfield was talented enough to win the heisman trophy and be the first pick in the draft..........I can't believe I even had to respond to this.

While the last few years has seen MT really begin to lose ground in C-USA facilities, it seems a little overstated to assert that MT is at the bottom of C-USA and all of 1A in facilities. Regardless, coach stock is not exactly helping matters by mediocre finishes each season for years. No championships. No excitement or buzz in the direction of the program is substantially hurting the program as evidenced by all the empty seats at the stadium on gameday. Those empty seats are not buying tickets, concessions, or beer. Of course donations are going to decrease when there is a lethargy of mediocrity enveloping the football program.

Is this a joke? He couldn't beat out Baker Mayfield because Baker Mayfield was talented enough to win the heisman trophy and be the first pick in the draft..........I can't believe I even had to respond to this.
My point was star ratings in high school do not tell the whole story. I was being sarcastic. You also did not have to respond.

crposton,

You make some good points. I think the problem is the fan base has spoken...the biggest issue for MT that in order to grow our fan base its not necessarily how many wins but when they come. We must win early to get others besides the diehards interested. And when you couple poor starts with lots of losses to Vandy and WKU you lose good will. And that's why the window has closed on this staff. It may not be fair but this is the gig they signed up for.

As for me, I will be in the stands even if we don't win a game. Its a tradition for me and my family.

I will be there for the FAU game and hoping for a win. Same with Marshall. But if we lose both I will move from talking about saying we need a new coach to making my thoughts public to the AD department, BRAA, etc. Because at some point you have to have a line in the sand...mine is our next two games.

While the last few years has seen MT really begin to lose ground in C-USA facilities, it seems a little overstated to assert that MT is at the bottom of C-USA and all of 1A in facilities. Regardless, coach stock is not exactly helping matters by mediocre finishes each season for years. No championships. No excitement or buzz in the direction of the program is substantially hurting the program as evidenced by all the empty seats at the stadium on gameday. Those empty seats are not buying tickets, concessions, or beer. Of course donations are going to decrease when there is a lethargy of mediocrity enveloping the football program.
Well we have had excitement in the basketball programs, yet we still cannot sell out Murphy Center on a nightly basis. It also seats about 1/3 of what Floyd does. What is the reasoning there? Winning did improve attendance, but still barely over half full on average. One of the best mid majors can barely average a half full arena. I do not think football would be much different.

In mens BB, our attendance has ranked inside the top 100 the last few years. Last year at 6700 per game, thats pretty good. We probably have too big arena for our program. WKU only has 8000 seats, VCU had about the same. But personally, I like being able to get 11,500 every once in a while.

Meanwhile for FB, we simple has missed out converting new fans in the last 20 years, its basically the same folks with a few new fans. Our season tickets are about 4K, they used to be 6-7K (another negative on the Stock era) Is there even a stated goal for season ticket sales? A healthy program at our level would have 8-10K season ticket holders. What is the plan to make that happen - sorry but TV advertising doesn't work for a school like MT. In my opinion they need to stop worrying about the dollars and get butts in the seats. I've shared in the past my season ticket group around 2000 was 80 strong ( I collected the money, I talked families into to joining the group, we had a large tailgate)...they stopped all the incentives, now that group is my 10 that still have season tickets. Many of their kids went to other colleges and now they follow other teams.

And the facts are, attendance is down for FB and BB across college. I was looking at the data for BB, in the early 2000, annual attendance exceeding 30 million, in 2018, it was 28 million (and this was an increase from the previous 10 years) - obvious other factors from TV to multiple other entertainment options.

I know it seems like I am playing devil's advocate, but I do believe the issues are not just Coach Stock and Massaro. I sit in the chair backs and my wife and I are some of the youngest non children that sit there. We are both over 30. Our fan base is getting older and we are not bringing in new fans. I am already getting my 2 year old to yell "Go Raiders", but I am not having enough kids to replenish the fan base lol. If we want Stock out we could do what FSU fans are doing and start a GoFundMe, but I think we need to fix our other issues as well. I read somewhere there is an estimated 50,000 MTSU alumni in the Nashville area. If every one of those either gave the minimum BRAA donation of $150 or increased their current BRAA donation by $150 that would raise an extra $7.5 million per year. Add in MTSU fans that are not alumni and you have a large enough increase in money to really have an impact. I know there are some that may not be able to do that, but I would bet the majority can.

As I stated elsewhere the D-1 FB experiment has failed at MT. It can be argued that it could have been successful if the move up had occurred 10 years earlier but ???

Too many conditions have changed since the announced move two decades ago and none have made MT more competitive for fan interest, media coverage, business involvement and donations from individuals. Even the growth of Rutherford Co., the immediate area, and the school have done nothing for MT athletic support.

Just to name a few off of the top of my head this early in the morning some negative factors have been:

< The arrival of major professional sports in the area,
< The ESPNing of sports to include "Power" conference networks and flat-screen TVs,
< The changing of sports-talk from information based to entertainment based emphasizing pro and "big-time" programs,
< Loss of revenue from G5 TV conference contracts when "power" leagues get more $$$s while at the same time allowing "cost of attendance" stipends to student-athletes,
< I could go on and each of you can come up with things I haven't thought of.

Agreed, we have made some mistakes in-house and have failed to take advantage of opportunities. That is clear. What is also clear is that, primarily because of location, we have a real challenge keeping up financially. Why did Nissan decide to promote heavily in 100 schools across the country, including some mid-majors, and not include the school located in the county where their largest North American plant in located? Can all of that be blamed on McPhee and Massaro? (Nothing has pissed me more than seeing the huge Nissan sign in The Pavilion at Ole Miss on the Kermit Davis introduction video).

I'm as disappointed as any of you at where MT is at the present time in the overall scheme of college sports. A lot of time, money, and emotional energy has been expended in the effort to remain relevant. I'm thankful for the recent measure of success enjoyed by the men's BkB team (by far my favorite sport) but am terribly disappointed by how the run ended. I'll keep following my Blue Raiders as I have for years but college sports are dropping way down on my priority list. (We chose to go to a social engagement during the first home FB game, didn't check the score until I got home, and didn't feel the first bit of guilt - "The thrill is gone")

Reactions: MT Glenn
Some folks on here love to overreact. LOL. If our "experiment" failed here then so has every program in our conference and in the belt as well. Since 2011, we haven't had a losing season. We are now the only team in our conference that can say that. It's not bragging in any way but that's not a failed experiment. That's a silly statement. Even if we changed the leadership, we'd still have the problems we have. We would. I've resigned the hope that it will ever be fixed. There's too many obstacles that the president is ignoring. Top down stuff that effects everything else.

So I'm just gonna be a fan. Cubs fans are a classic example. They would suck every year and fans kept showing up year after year. I'm that guy. One year will be cool and others not so much. It is what it is.

Winning CUSA championships isn't enough. Look at WKU. They won 2 and couldn't sell out a 20k stadium. I was there at both championship games. WMU had a really good year with 2 8 win seasons before that. They lost their coach and now they are getting piledriven once again.

Last edited:
Reactions: crposton
My point was star ratings in high school do not tell the whole story. I was being sarcastic. You also did not have to respond.

You realize Baker Mayfield was still a 3 star 5.6 RR rated player right? He only walked on @ Tech because he didn't need the scholarship money. Rich parents.

You realize Baker Mayfield was still a 3 star 5.6 RR rated player right? He only walked on @ Tech because he didn't need the scholarship money. Rich parents.
You realize he was only offered by FAU, Rice, New Mexico, and Washington State right? That was before FAU and Washington State were anything to be desired. He was not ranked top 1,000 players in his class.

Some folks on here love to overreact. LOL. If our "experiment" failed here then so has every program in our conference and in the belt as well. Since 2011, we haven't had a losing season. We are now the only team in our conference that can say that. It's not bragging in any way but that's not a failed experiment. That's a silly statement. Even if we changed the leadership, we'd still have the problems we have. We would. I've resigned the hope that it will ever be fixed. There's too many obstacles that the president is ignoring. Top down stuff that effects everything else.

So I'm just gonna be a fan. Cubs fans are a classic example. They would suck every year and fans kept showing up year after year. I'm that guy. One year will be cool and others not so much. It is what it is.

Winning CUSA championships isn't enough. Look at WKU. They won 2 and couldn't sell out a 20k stadium. I was there at both championship games. WMU had a really good year with 2 8 win seasons before that. They lost their coach and now they are getting piledriven once again.
I agree it has not failed. I do think we need to realize that we will not even get a shot at a playoff in the current climate and format. I sometimes think that if we were on the North Dakota State or James Madison level competing for FCS championships that would be better than competing for meaningless bowl games. Of course if we do not have the FBS tag do we get the talent to compete for FCS championships? If we did I say drop down. I know it won't be popular, but it may be the best choice.

This talk of 1A or FBS for MT is a failed experiment, is not accurate and further confuses a time and situation that is already difficult, in my opinion.

To me it appears that discussion is more accurately fitting for the state of D1 football in general. While the national debate has settled down the last year or two, the huge problems that most any G5 conference and program can tell you about are still present. When those discussions were stirred up a couple of years ago, many including the national sports media maintained that the P5 would likely to break off and form their own new league in the future. In regards to MT and FBS, if MT is a "failed experiment" it would likely be in a situation where all G5 programs would have failed.

Reactions: crposton
ADVERTISEMENT