ADVERTISEMENT

Non MT : Southern Miss FB HC Jay Hopson resigns

AustinLewis

Hall of Famer
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
Multiple reports that Jay Hopson has resigned. Apparently, the loss to South Alabama was embarrassing enough to step aside...

Jay is a good guy. Cancer survivor. Former Ole Miss DB from Vicksburg. He resigned as DC at Mich. to fall on his sword for Rich Rod. Did the same for Larry Porter at Memphis.

He had success at Alcorn. He will land on his feet.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, we have Stockstill here essentially stealing money from the university and BRAA members for himself and his buddies through coaching salaries. How refreshing it is to see a coach with that much character.

Meanwhile, we have Stockstill here essentially stealing money from the university and BRAA members for himself and his buddies through coaching salaries. How refreshing it is to see a coach with that much character.
I know everyone is mad at Stock, but to suggest Jay Hopson has half the character Stock has, given a couple of recent things he’s tried to do, is comical.

Reactions: Raiders_55
I know everyone is mad at Stock, but to suggest Jay Hopson has half the character Stock has, given a couple of recent things he’s tried to do, is comical.

Why? Because Stock says a bunch feel good stuff non sense all the time? What has Stockstill actually done to show he has so much more character than the average guy? Look, im sure Stockstill is a nice guy, but he is not a good football coach (his record speaks to that). If he had this super human character, like some seem to think, why does he keep sucking the university dry when its obvious he cant win at this level and he doesn't have the support of the fan base?

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Maybe Stockstill, McPhee and Massaro are channeling their inner Dasher and making bank throwing games...

• Sad
Reactions: SpaceRaider
Why? Because Stock says a bunch feel good stuff non sense all the time? What has Stockstill actually done to show he has so much more character than the average guy? Look, im sure Stockstill is a nice guy, but he is not a good football coach (his record speaks to that). If he had this super human character, like some seem to think, why does he keep sucking the university dry when its obvious he cant win at this level and he doesn't have the support of the fan base?
Say what you want, but Stock didn’t try to push Art Briles through without talking to the university nor did he try to sign a player who raped two women at knifepoint;

So, again, Jay Hopson and “character” don’t belong in the same sentence.

I would bet you've never met Jay, much less even spoken to him. I have. Numerous times. His AD at Vicksburg / Warren County, MS is a former college coach of mine. Jay Hopson is a local legend. Athletic and academic standout. But then again, maybe he spurned an interview request from you.

I would bet you've never met Jay, much less even spoken to him. I have. Numerous times. His AD at Vicksburg / Warren County, MS is a former college coach of mine. Jay Hopson is a local legend. Athletic and academic standout. But then again, maybe he spurned an interview request from you.
Why would I want to interview the now fired coach of a school I don’t cover or care about?

Where is the fluff piece about raiders in the NFL?

Kinda hard to be excited about Blue Raiders in the NFL when we haven’t even sniffed an outright conference title in 14 seasons.
Even our All-Pro safety was a 5th year Senior of a MT team that got slapped around by WKU in Bowling Green to the tune of 58 points and it was over at halftime.
I guess these “pros” are carrying the program right now with donations and recruiting.

Kinda hard to be excited about Blue Raiders in the NFL when we haven’t even sniffed an outright conference title in 14 seasons.
Even our All-Pro safety was a 5th year Senior of a MT team that got slapped around by WKU in Bowling Green to the tune of 58 points and it was over at halftime.
I guess these “pros” are carrying the program right now with donations and recruiting.

You need to double that. After this year it will be 28 since we last had an outright conference title.

Either time is going faster or I’m just getting older. Dwight Dasher saga was 10 years ago.

Either time is going faster or I’m just getting older. Dwight Dasher saga was 10 years ago.
I know. Hard to believe it’s been 13 years since I was sitting on the 50-yd. line behind the Memphis bench watching him destroy Tommy West and Memphis as a true Freshman. I was decked out in MT apparel and sitting in the middle of the Highland Hundred Memphis booster group with one of my college teammates. The folks around me were absolutely shell shocked.

Now West and Mallory have semi-retired here in Middle Tennessee, are getting steamrolled by Army and losing to a rookie coach at freaking Charlotte.
Amazing how things come full circle. Actually.....it’s pretty sad.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
So MT has 3 guys on active rosters, and TSU has 4 or 5. This is why we struggle to win, not recruiting guys that can get to the next level.

Did Darius Harris make the cut at KC? They were real high on him last year. Also Chandler Brewer would likely be starting for the Rams but I believe he opted out.

Did Darius Harris make the cut at KC? They were real high on him last year. Also Chandler Brewer would likely be starting for the Rams but I believe he opted out.
Darius Harris was released and is currently on the Chiefs practice squad
Others in the NFL :
Richie James is starting PR / KR for 49ers
Chavarius Ward is starting CB for Chiefs
Kevin Byard is starting FS for Titans

Chandler Brewer opted out (and many believe he would have started).

ADVERTISEMENT