ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS NIL Apparel Site Launched

MidTennMtneer

All American
Nov 13, 2013
Open till Oct 16 for this launch. Apparently they are doing different releases for the seasonal sports.

Can't fuss about this at all. Several players are already tweeting it out. Jordan Ferguson did last night.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I'm wanting one of those Bball jerseys. I've got a genuine FB jersey in a wall case I won several years ago. Trivia contest during one of the Facebook games. I've always wanted a basketball one. I imagined convincing the admin to give me one (along with something else) if I won the court design contest since season tickets wouldn't have done me good, but they botched that whole thing big time. So this might be as close as I get.

Very nice! Definitely ordering t-shirt & cap. Anyone wanting an item remember the fine print, only available through October 16th. Not a naysayer because this is a great program. But available for only 10 days to order? Or am I missing something somewhere?

Very nice! Definitely ordering t-shirt & cap. Anyone wanting an item remember the fine print, only available through October 16th. Not a naysayer because this is a great program. But available for only 10 days to order? Or am I missing something somewhere?

Nope. Fall sports through the 16th. Several asked on socials about baseball and they will have a new release for spring. Hopefully they will have another release once basketball gets in full gear too.

Reactions: MTFAN61
I’ve already ordered mine!

A5532-BAF-9-ACF-406-D-BB59-4-EFD18-C30-FCF.jpg

Open till Oct 16 for this launch. Apparently they are doing different releases for the seasonal sports.

Can't fuss about this at all. Several players are already tweeting it out. Jordan Ferguson did last night.

Pretty cool opportunity for student-athletes!

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
where is the middle tennessee hat thy wear on the sidelines ... bold middle tennessee font.

where is the middle tennessee hat thy wear on the sidelines ... bold middle tennessee font.

Me too. I want one of those and the hoodie their wear in the Raider Walk. I asked Lee on Twitter if they'd be available and he tagged Chelsea. Haven't heard since. I should check again.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Me too. I want one of those and the hoodie their wear in the Raider Walk. I asked Lee on Twitter if they'd be available and he tagged Chelsea. Haven't heard since. I should check again.
I have tons of MT gear and apparel and have no problem buying more if it helps a player. But I will not purchase anything with the winged horse on it.

To play in the NIL big boys pool it’s gonna take more than selling a few sweatshirts, hoodies and jerseys.

LINK: Memphis AD Solicits NIL Funds From Ambassador Level Donors

”University of Memphis athletic director Laird Veatch is making a plea to many of the program’s biggest backers for cash donations in support of the department’s student-athletes.

In an email letter addressed to the university’s “Ambassadors” and obtained Thursday by The Daily Memphian, Veatch makes a case that players and recruits could be lost if funding for the Tigers’ Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) program is not immediately found.

To be an “Ambassador,” a donor must have given the program at least $500,000 in addition to annual contributions of at least $15,000.

“I’m sure you have heard or read about donors at some other schools providing several million dollars to their student-athletes,” Veatch wrote. “To be clear, we’re not asking to be at the top of the ‘NIL arms race’ at Memphis. However, we do believe we will need our student-athletes collectively earning $2-3 million dollars per year in NIL opportunities to remain competitive.

“Put directly, we need to embrace NIL in order to remain competitive. Put even more directly, if we don’t start embracing NIL at a higher level by December, we may very well start losing players to other programs. That is the stark reality.”

It's embrace it or die. Kiffin may seriously go to Auburn mainly because the NIL in Oxford is nil.

I still think we need something like WVU's Country Roads Trust. Businesses can use it like our Blue Raider Exchange, but the average fan can too. Can donate $10, 100, 1000, whatever. Totally separate from Mountaineer Athletic Club. Trust is specifically for NIL with its own board.

Allowing regular fans to donate too is the only way G5s will survive.

MT is simply screwed. We are one of the most poorly supported D1 institutions in the country despite having one of the most advantageous geographical locations. Talk about leadership failure....So sad. And they all have no insight, either. I'm sure McPhee, Steve Smith, and all their cronies think they're doing a fine job. To be fair, Rutherford County flat out sucks, but even if the community did support the university it wouldn't matter with the current "leadership" we have.

NIL and the money that will flow into it is effectively going to turn MT, and schools like it, into junior colleges for the schools with $$$. This has already started to happen. This phenomenon is only going to increase over time as NIL fleshes itself out and the transfer portal becomes a more known entity. The best players, even at the FCS and G5 levels, are going to go where the $$$ is. And that isn't Murfreesboro.

We won't even be able to keep players from transferring / committing to schools that we view as peer institutions because of how broke and how poorly supported MT is.

It's all so depressing and feels futile. I don't know what the answer is. Consolidating and focusing on men's basketball might be the only viable option. Football is just a total lost cause and it's difficult to see it as anything but that. I'd rather shudder the program vs. being a glorified junior college for the $$$ programs to cherry pick our players and give us their left overs.

No thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaiderDeez
After watching the UTK game Saturday night and reading the Vol forums about what’s “allegedly” going on internally with their football team, Wiley is spot on. 😂

MT is simply screwed. We are one of the most poorly supported D1 institutions in the country despite having one of the most advantageous geographical locations. Talk about leadership failure....So sad. And they all have no insight, either.
This is how I've felt for the past 15-20 years that there are so many good things about the geography that there is simply no reason we can't be approaching a level like Louisville, Boise State or a smaller UCF. It was ripe for the taking the past 15 years right there in our face and we completely missed it and never adjusted. That train has left the station and with NIL we are too far behind to probably ever have a chance at getting there.

McPhee is balancing the educational and athletic side, so he can't take 100% of the blame. I know people say McFlea is ultimately calling the shots, but with Massaro being responsible for the Athletic program, this is all squarely on his watch.

This is how I've felt for the past 15-20 years that there are so many good things about the geography that there is simply no reason we can't be approaching a level like Louisville, Boise State or a smaller UCF. It was ripe for the taking the past 15 years right there in our face and we completely missed it and never adjusted. That train has left the station and with NIL we are too far behind to probably ever have a chance at getting there.
Agreed. And Massaro told me earlier in his tenure that he believed MT could reach Boise / Louisville levels (Louisville, IIRC, was his model).
McPhee is balancing the educational and athletic side, so he can't take 100% of the blame. I know people say McFlea is ultimately calling the shots, but with Massaro being responsible for the Athletic program, this is all squarely on his watch.
I can affirm that McPhee is heavily - way too heavily - involved with AD decisions. This goes well beyond the "rumored" McPhee decision to hire McD over others

Agreed. And Massaro told me earlier in his tenure that he believed MT could reach Boise / Louisville levels (Louisville, IIRC, was his model).

I can affirm that McPhee is heavily - way too heavily - involved with AD decisions. This goes well beyond the "rumored" McPhee decision to hire McD over others
To me, knowing how WVU just released their AD with an almost $3m severance package, the fact that CM is month to month speaks volumes. And not in a bad way for CM, but just the way to me it shows how McPhee and the board want to control things.

Reactions: AustinLewis
To me, knowing how WVU just released their AD with an almost $3m severance package, the fact that CM is month to month speaks volumes. And not in a bad way for CM, but just the way to me it shows how McPhee and the board want to control things.
This is PURE speculation on my part.

Again, PURE speculation.

But all of the smoke seems to point to Smith / McPhee / Massaro NOT being on the same page on some level.

Did I read correctly that one of y'all said Massaro is on a month-to-month contract?

That tells me, IMO, that 7 wood is on the prowl for a bigger stooge and once found, CM will be shown the door. Just shows that no one worth a damn wants this job.

When I started MT in '96, I had no idea this is where it would end up. Shameful...

Reactions: RaiderDeez
Did I read correctly that one of y'all said Massaro is on a month-to-month contract?

That tells me, IMO, that 7 wood is on the prowl for a bigger stooge and once found, CM will be shown the door. Just shows that no one worth a damn wants this job.

When I started MT in '96, I had no idea this is where it would end up. Shameful...
He is. But I don't think it is about finding another stooge or no one wanting the job or anything like that.

I think it simply is a power grab by McPhee and the board. They can make their "suggestions" to CM and what choice does he have? It severely limits any ability to control the narrative himself. Argue if he's capable or whatever, that has no bearing if he can't even do it if he could.

Reactions: MarJac23 and Blue_H

Yes. Massaro is on a month to month. Has been for several years, IIRC.

IMO, McPhee is approaching 70 and has been here for over 20 years. It’s time for some new blood in Cope.

The BoT needs to transition to a “chancellor” position for a few years & bring in some new blood a president. An outgoing, energetic, visionary type. Someone like Keith Carver at UTM.

I'm making this f'ing shirt and am sending one to Massaro, Stock, Jeff (can't QB for sh!t) Murphy and McPhee). It's like the old stand up comedians used to say. "If they aren't laughing, then it's time to punish them with your time on stage until they leave." LOL. Let's go!!!!

Reactions: MTTim
Baseball only has 18 players listed with several of them freshman. Are all players not eligible to receive NIL money or what? Just thought it was strange that the list wasn't bigger. Any ideas?

Baseball only has 18 players listed with several of them freshman. Are all players not eligible to receive NIL money or what? Just thought it was strange that the list wasn't bigger. Any ideas?
They have to sign on. Idk why they wouldn't but I'm sure some have their reasons. Or they maybe just haven't signed up yet.

Probably a stupid question, but only the player selected gets the $13 for their name? Or do proceeds from this store go into a big pot and they divvy out $ to players from there?

ADVERTISEMENT