ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING New OL commit

I knew the name sounded familiar, but the same name belongs to a QB/ath prospect out of Savannah, TN back 9 or 10 years ago. Not sure if we offered him but he ended up at memphis.

Hopefully this Mr. Gilchrist comes in ready to start or contribute significantly to run block and pass protect...

I have family that live in Brenham where Blinn is located. They are a solid 2 year program. He most likely is a solid player.

I actually really like his film. Play's with great leverage and has really strong upper body. He can contribute immediately.

So now we have FIVE OL commits (4 HS, 1 juco) I would expect the 4 HS to come in and redshirt. I wonder if we are targeting more prospects on the OL from the juco ranks or maybe a senior transfer or two?
Pardon my very blunt assessment of the MT OL situation : It aint gonna matter who is playing QB or RB next year if MT can't get OL who can block

I knew the name sounded familiar, but the same name belongs to a QB/ath prospect out of Savannah, TN back 9 or 10 years ago. Not sure if we offered him but he ended up at memphis.

Hopefully this Mr. Gilchrist comes in ready to start or contribute significantly to run block and pass protect...

That’s his Uncle from Savannah Tenn that played at Memphis on Will’s Father’s side, I’m his Uncle on his Mother’s side of the family. He’s ready, he’s excelled at every level, he is from La Porte, TX but played football at Deer Park High School and was unanimous 1st team All-District his junior and senior year in one of the toughest districts in the state of Texas that including North Shore, Port Arthur Memorial, Beaumont Westbrook, and La Porte. He was also 2nd team All-Greater Houston as a senior and played in the Texas All-Star High School Game.

He did not get a ton of help with his coaches as far as recruiting coming out of high school so he decided to go to Blinn, and played sparingly his Frosh year, started every game his sophomore year and was 2nd Team-All Conference, how he was not selected 1st team I have no idea. That’s a tough conference for JUCO, possibly the toughest in the nation, against TVCC who was the #3 ranked team in the nation at the time Blinn played them, Will actually started at LG, played RT, then LT in the same game due to injuries, and Blinn won, 27-24. Middle Tennessee is getting a heck of a player, I think he is a natural inside linemen, but he may play tackle, either way, nobody is going to outwork him or outplay him, the Raider nation just got a steal for a linemen.

Last edited:
Any of these JUCO kids need to be able to contribute immediately as we need help now. O line depth is bad and we need quick fixes. If we sign jucos that can't crack the 2 deep the first week at any position is a big miss and can't have it.

That’s his Uncle from Savannah Tenn that played at Memphis on Will’s Father’s side, I’m his Uncle on his Mother’s side of the family. He’s ready, he’s excelled at every level, he is from La Porte, TX but played football at Deer Park High School and was unanimous 1st team All-District his junior and senior year in one of the toughest districts in the state of Texas that including North Shore, Port Arthur Memorial, Beaumont Westbrook, and La Porte. He was also 2nd team All-Greater Houston as a senior and played in the Texas All-Star High School Game.

He did not get a ton of help with his coaches as far as recruiting coming out of high school so he decided to go to Blinn, and played sparingly his Frosh year, started every game his sophomore year and was 2nd Team-All Conference, how he was not selected 1st team I have no idea. That’s a tough conference for JUCO, possibly the toughest in the nation, against TVCC who was the #3 ranked team in the nation at the time Blinn played them, Will actually started at LG, played RT, then LT in the same game due to injuries, and Blinn won, 27-24. Middle Tennessee is getting a heck of a player, I think he is a natural inside linemen, but he may play tackle, either way, nobody is going to outwork him or outplay him, the Raider nation just got a steal for a linemen.

Thanks for the background information. Hopefully he will have a great career at Middle Tennessee. After our starting QB missing half of this season for injuries and his back up suffering career ending concussion, there is a definite need for help on the offensive line.

Thank you for the background. His film looks great and we are very glad to have him. We desperately need help on the OL and based on film, he's going to be able to come in and crush the interior. Love the way he establishes himself after the snap and holds his ground. He plays with great leverage and is clearly athletic for his size. Love his upper body strength too. This is a great signing. I love OL who are actually agile and athletic. It's hard to find the combination of size, speed, and athleticism on the OL.

ADVERTISEMENT