ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS New member of MT Board

Who cares about these morons. This group is a rubber stamp for the same little middle culture we have seen since the 70s.

You have to look no further than the extension of McPhee and Valpo law school fiasco at the behest of UT. The university's leadership is an utter joke.

1. I understand your frustration re: the inability to acquire Valpo Law (believe me, I do)- but University leadership is not the reason it didn't happen. MT folks from the top down worked hard to make it a reality.

2. Tom Boyd is a good man and a good addition to the BOT.

Reactions: AustinLewis
I am going to research if Memphis or UT system is starting ANY program that MT already does. If they do, MT needs to block it. Use anything we can to block it via THEC.

There is no reason the law school should have been blocked and we should do EVERYTHING possible to be a thorn in other sides too.

Reactions: Raiderclyde
1. I understand your frustration re: the inability to acquire Valpo Law (believe me, I do)- but University leadership is not the reason it didn't happen. MT folks from the top down worked hard to make it a reality.

I consider the Board part of the leadership of the university.

And good for Mr. Boyd that he's a good man, but the Board has been a dud. I don't know of a single positive measure of impact they've had that wouldn't have also been done by the TBR.

The BOT hasn’t earned much credibility in my eyes especially with the failure to gain political traction for the Valpo Law School. It has acted as a procedural board that “rubber stamps” the agenda at hand and allows us remain status quo while looking good. Most buildings and infrastructure that has been built in the last 15 or so years have been replacement facilities, such as our Science Building (from 1930) and even the Student Union (from 1967). Honors College was a great addition and so was Education building, but again in Education it largely replaced the functionality of Jones Hall that was once an early dormitory.

The law school was our big opportunity to gain higher national recognition. Yes, we have a handful of programs that garner national recognition, such as Aerospace and Recording Industry Management. But, many programs are at peer level for a regional university. I’m proud of what we have and what we’ve become in 2019, but we are falling behind standards of a high tier research, land grant university. The 21st century marketplace requires more intentional investment and results than what has been produced in the last few years with current university leadership in Cope and in Murphy Center.

What is our mission for academics and athletics? Do we merely compete or do we thrive? If we cannot be clear in our focus, communication, and plan executing, then we will not have greater success. Our records on the court, field, and diamond will have fleeting meaning to the public. Thus, continue to see sea of empty seats at most Football games and other sports.

Purpose comes before success in practice and the dictionary!

Hope this addition to the BOT proves to be good for leadership.

I consider the Board part of the leadership of the university.

And good for Mr. Boyd that he's a good man, but the Board has been a dud. I don't know of a single positive measure of impact they've had that wouldn't have also been done by the TBR.

One off the top of my head would be the addition of a B.S. in Tourism and Hospitality, a really nice program that Memphis already has and wouldn’t have happened under TBR. There are others. Things still aren’t happening as quickly as we would like, and I get that, but dealing in hyperbole doesn’t improve our situation.

One off the top of my head would be the addition of a B.S. in Tourism and Hospitality, a really nice program that Memphis already has and wouldn’t have happened under TBR. There are others. Things still aren’t happening as quickly as we would like, and I get that, but dealing in hyperbole doesn’t improve our situation.

Yeah, I'm sure the TBR would have really been worried about a hospitality degree program. Come on. Give me a break. Nothing I said was hyperbole. The board has been practically a rubber stamp for status quo and you know it.

the Board has been a dud. I don't know of a single positive measure of impact they've had that wouldn't have also been done by the TBR.

This, This, This. I thought things would be different with MT having it's own board and the geiger lawsuit expiring.

Not a damn thing has changed of course.....

It feels like our university is stuck on the edge of a black hole, frozen in time. And none of the administration gives 2 craps. They're all in it together, collecting big paychecks, coasting along year by year..........

Typical government accountability (aka NONEXISTENT). If MT and MT athletics were a private business Stockstill, Massaro, and McPhee would have all been fired over a decade ago........

They should be unspeakably ashamed of themselves. Maybe not Stockstill as he's done a decent job with the piss poor resources he's given, but Massaro and McPhee without a doubt. The board can get lost as well. They've done NOTHING for our university.

This administration is a literal cancer to our university, and don't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. Our administration makes it so hard to be a fan and support this university.

These are things that we all want. But it’s not as easy as snapping your fingers and making it a reality. I’m not sure some of you have a realistic idea of everything that goes into these aspirations and how long it can take (if it ever even comes to fruition).

We need 1. Money and 2. Political clout to accomplish these goals. We don’t have either. It is fair to have a discussion about whether the University itself is responsible for that, but I would argue that in many cases, we are a victim of circumstance.

Last edited:
I do think we are a victim of circumstance in a way, however, I think a bulldog in the Presidential office would be a nice change. Really fight and do more.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Put Bill Lee on the board or in McPhee's office once his time in the Governors office is over

These are things that we all want. But it’s not as easy as snapping your fingers and making it a reality. I’m not sure some of you have a realistic idea of everything that goes into these aspirations and how long it can take (if it ever even comes to fruition).

We need 1. Money and 2. Political clout to accomplish these goals. We don’t have either. It is fair to have a discussion about whether the University itself is responsible for that, but I would argue that in many cases, we are a victim of circumstance.

Let me give you a 1 and 2.

1. McPhee never should have received an extension to his contract from the new BOD. Ridiculous. He has been here long enough and hasn't done much more that just about anyone on this message board could have done. Not only did they extend him they did so for five additional freaking years, a raise that is more than most people on this board make annually with a six figure bonus potential. And my question is all that for what? It makes Stockstill's deal look pedestrian. During his tenure, there are virtually no significant increases in research funding, no professional degree programs added, and no elevation in the university's stature/rankings. And giving is abysmal. While we were raising a mere $80 million over three years in celebration of our centennial year, UAB was raising $1 billion and FIU raised nearly $500 million in less time on their way to a $750M goal - just as a couple of examples.

2. And you can point to lack of professional degree programs that limit big donors. Well, we had a chance to add a professional degree program with no overhead costs. All we had to do was fund it going forward. My understanding is the university on the operational side had everything lined up and ready, but the board votes it down? Why. Because there are board members who UT has their pockets in that didn't want the state to have another public law school.

You can play the oh you guys are just too naive and don't know how the real world works, but do me a favor with that one. Casey. Look in the mirror. As alumni me, you and everyone else are getting fleeced or taken advantage of. No kid of mine will go to college in Tenn much less MT. It's disheartening.

Last edited:
It’s hard to believe that 15 years has passed since all of this. I was in my 2nd semester of grad school at MT when all this broke loose. I was new to the campus and didn’t really know all the folks involved. I had a friend from HS who completely distanced herself from the school after serving as President of the National Alumni Association and I don’t think she’s ever been back since.

https://www.nashvillescene.com/news/article/13009889/the-sidney-mcphee-problem

Last edited:

Casey, I would add a 3: Institutional Leadership that knows how to execute plans expediently. I understand we cannot go about “snapping your fingers” and making reality. But, leadership needs to have much higher aspirations than being a regional university, which we have been for most years since 1965. Doctor James E. Walker understood the big picture in his tenure and he helped build the foundation for Doctor Sidney A. McPhee to get what he has accomplished along with the credit for those projects. Mostly, Doctor McPhee has been a caretaker by enacting on things imagined by Doctor Walker.

Sure, we’ve become sister universities across the globe, mainly in China. That’s all fine and good for cultural development, but how many alumni and community leaders can tell you about the engagements or the academics programs these partnerships have yielded? I can’t even by reading our semi-annual MT Magazine. Where’s our 60 second spot during halftime of football and basketball games showing these engagements? How many high level masters and Doctorate programs we have launched? What’s our championship records in all sports? Right now, we aren’t doing all that great in maintaining a median along Middle Tennessee Boulevard to have it beautiful for the first day of fall classes; perhaps it will come. Media coverage on radio, caravans, anything to be more prominent and relevant to the entire Murfreesboro community and hopefully all of Middle Tennessee. Our lists of accomplishments are rather thin for the size of university and longevity we are (108 years). Don’t get me started about our endowment: all I will say it’s an embarrassment how it has grown and being leveraged. And what we have has been the sum total of work since 1961.

The law school fiasco was a huge disappointment and it will take more than a decade to remedy for our academic reputation and our public image as a major university. And, our BOT has yet to do anything to bolster our credibility across the state so that we can get the #1 and #2 for the goals.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrueBlue147
Let me give you a 1 and 2.

1. McPhee never should have received an extension to his contract from the new BOD. Ridiculous. He has been here long enough and hasn't done much more that just about anyone on this message board could have done. Not only did they extend him they did so for five additional freaking years, a raise that is more than most people on this board make annually with a six figure bonus potential. And my question is all that for what? It makes Stockstill's deal look pedestrian. During his tenure, there are virtually no significant increases in research funding, no professional degree programs added, and no elevation in the university's stature/rankings. And giving is abysmal. While we were raising a mere $80 million over three years in celebration of our centennial year, UAB was raising $1 billion and FIU raised nearly $500 million in less time on their way to a $750M goal - just as a couple of examples.

2. And you can point to lack of professional degree programs that limit big donors. Well, we had a chance to add a professional degree program with no overhead costs. All we had to do was fund it going forward. My understanding is the university on the operational side had everything lined up and ready, but the board votes it down? Why. Because there are board members who UT has their pockets in that didn't want the state to have another public law school.

You can play the oh you guys are just too naive and don't know how the real world works, but do me a favor with that one. Casey. Look in the mirror. As alumni me, you and everyone else are getting fleeced or taken advantage of. No kid of mine will go to college in Tenn much less MT. It's disheartening.
This x's 1000. Nailed it.

Casey, I would add a 3: Institutional Leadership that knows how to execute plans expediently. I understand we cannot go about “snapping your fingers” and making reality. But, leadership needs to have much higher aspirations than being a regional university, which we have been for most years since 1965. Doctor James E. Walker understood the big picture in his tenure and he helped build the foundation for Doctor Sidney A. McPhee to get what he has accomplished along with the credit for those projects. Mostly, Doctor McPhee has been a caretaker by enacting on things imagined by Doctor Walker.

Sure, we’ve become sister universities across the globe, mainly in China. That’s all fine and good for cultural development, but how many alumni and community leaders can tell you about the engagements or the academics programs these partnerships have yielded? I can’t even by reading our semi-annual MT Magazine. Where’s our 60 second spot during halftime of football and basketball games showing these engagements? How many high level masters and Doctorate programs we have launched? What’s our championship records in all sports? Right now, we aren’t doing all that great in maintaining a median along Middle Tennessee Boulevard to have it beautiful for the first day of fall classes; perhaps it will come. Media coverage on radio, caravans, anything to be more prominent and relevant to the entire Murfreesboro community and hopefully all of Middle Tennessee. Our lists of accomplishments are rather thin for the size of university and longevity we are (108 years). Don’t get me started about our endowment: all I will say it’s an embarrassment how it has grown and being leveraged. And what we have has been the sum total of work since 1961.

The law school fiasco was a huge disappointment and it will take more than a decade to remedy for our academic reputation and our public image as a major university. And, our BOT has yet to do anything to bolster our credibility across the state so that we can get the #1 and #2 for the goals.
Damn. You guys are rocking today.

It’s hard to believe that 15 years has passed since all of this. I was in my 2nd semester of grad school at MT when all this broke loose. I was new to the campus and didn’t really know all the folks involved. I had a friend from HS who completely distanced herself from the school after serving as President of the National Alumni Association and I don’t think she’s ever been back since.

https://www.nashvillescene.com/news/article/13009889/the-sidney-mcphee-problem
Gotta to give FR credit as well. This guy knows more than you think.

I have been following this thread with interest and have come up with many thoughts while thinking about the issues raised.

Briefly, MTsU has less status, influence, and political power than it had decades ago when some of us were students and when we became supporters. The school had a U. S. Senator, numerous TN state govt. officials were MT grads and supporters (The governor was in attendance at many athletic contests - possibly because his daughter was a student - can you imagine any recent governor's child attending MT?), MT grads were political and business leaders in virtually every county in the mid-state (including Davidson), and those of us who were students at the time could give the names of a few fellow students who came from influential families. As a car guy I remember there were several new Porsches on campus. I don't spend much time driving around campus during class time but I doubt many equivalent cars are driven by today's students, even with the increased student enrollment.

We can all give factors which have led to MT's loss of stature and can list many entities (other than UT-K) arrayed against MT becoming more than "Little Middle". I wish I knew a solution but I just can't come up with a similar regional state supported school which has overcome as many negatives to become relevant as we would wish for our school.

You guys are aware that the last interim President, current President and recently retired VP of Business and Finance all moved over here through the TBOR pipeline from Memphis, right?

You guys are aware that the last interim President, current President and recently retired VP of Business and Finance all moved over here through the TBOR pipeline from Memphis, right?

Well, I'm sure you've heard that people in a government bureaucracy (THEC, TBoR, state government) tend to be Promoted to their level of incompetence. It's called the Peter Principle. #TurdsThatFloattotheTop

My mouth was open the entire time I read that book. Unfortunately, corporate America implements that principle too.

Well, I'm sure you've heard that people in a government bureaucracy (THEC, TBoR, state government) tend to be Promoted to their level of incompetence. It's called the Peter Principle. #TurdsThatFloattotheTop

MT01, you raise some important questions. One point of clarification- it was not our BOT that voted down the Valpo acquisition; it was THEC. Huge difference.

Thanks for the clarification.

All i know is: the THEC had better crush Memphis' interest in starting a medical school at the Lambuth campus. As we all know, there are already established Medical schools in Tennessee, both public and private and, for the good of tennessee, Memphis should not even be able to start this evaluation.

MT01, you raise some important questions. One point of clarification- it was not our BOT that voted down the Valpo acquisition; it was THEC. Huge difference.

Simple analogy that sums it all up: Our esteemed BOT struck out against the THEC. Apparently, our BOT was prepared to play recreational softball while the THEC was the Major Leagues. And, our executive leadership was socializing at the concession stand.

That 8-5 THEC decision was a awful day for MT. It is our worst loss of all time because of the dollars forever lost by not having a law school. I would much rather endure a shutout loss at home in football (only happened twice since 1978) than that to have our THEC loss.

All i know is: the THEC had better crush Memphis' interest in starting a medical school at the Lambuth campus. As we all know, there are already established Medical schools in Tennessee, both public and private and, for the good of tennessee, Memphis should not even be able to start this evaluation.

I'm sure it will be approved unanimously

How a student can vote to deny a major degree program at another and non related school is beyond me but in case anyone wondered how the thec voted for the law school.

Also. We should have tied this whole thing up in court but 7 wood (McPhee) doesn’t have balls and they will not get one dime out of me.

Votes to deny transfer:

• Mintha Roach of Knoxville

• Vernon Stafford, Jr. of Memphis

• Former Shelby County mayor AC Wharton, Jr. of Memphis

• Pam Koban of Nashville

• Frank L. Watson, Jr. of Memphis

• Secretary of State Tre Hargett

• State Comptroller Justin P. Wilson

• Cara Sulyok, a student board member enrolled at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville

Votes to approve transfer:
    • Evan Cope of Murfreesboro

• Dr. Nancy Gishner of Johnson City

• Dakasha Winton of Chattanooga

• Jimmy Johnson of Gallatin

• State Treasurer David H. Lilliard, Jr.

Reactions: TrueBlue147
How a student can vote to deny a major degree program at another and non related school is beyond me but in case anyone wondered how the thec voted for the law school.

Also. We should have tied this whole thing up in court but 7 wood (McPhee) doesn’t have balls and they will not get one dime out of me.

Votes to deny transfer:

• Mintha Roach of Knoxville

• Vernon Stafford, Jr. of Memphis

• Former Shelby County mayor AC Wharton, Jr. of Memphis

• Pam Koban of Nashville

• Frank L. Watson, Jr. of Memphis

• Secretary of State Tre Hargett

• State Comptroller Justin P. Wilson

• Cara Sulyok, a student board member enrolled at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville

Votes to approve transfer:
    • Evan Cope of Murfreesboro

• Dr. Nancy Gishner of Johnson City

• Dakasha Winton of Chattanooga

• Jimmy Johnson of Gallatin

• State Treasurer David H. Lilliard, Jr.

Sorry folks but the fix was in. In addition to the those “Nays” already listed from Memphis and Knoxville, a little research reveals the rest of the story on these Nashville residents.

“Pam Koban”
https://www.memphis.edu/mediaroom/releases/jun15/patti-bradford-endowed-scholarship.php

“Justin Wilson” Vanderbilt Law
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_P._Wilson

“Tre Hargett” Univ. Of Memphis, BA, MBA
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tre_Hargett

Last edited:
Reactions: MTOleBlue
ADVERTISEMENT