ADVERTISEMENT

Nailed It

BlueRaiderFan

Hall of Famer
Oct 4, 2003
50138624_2520976044640375_5934115292203450368_n.jpg

Break down what she said...Teachers shouldn't have to sell there own blood to make rent. What the heck does this mean? My wife is an educator, both before we started a family and is back at it after our kids are adults. A beginner teacher makes about 37k to 40K a year here in Rutherford county. At what point does said teacher need to sell his/her blood to pay her bills? And how do you qualify that this might be an easy way to make some extra cash.

Full time workers on food stamps? I don't understand the statement. About 14% of the population "qualifies" for food stamps (that doesn't mean they use them), So of this 14%, many of them are not FT employees.

What does it mean that rich people and poor people shouldn't exist in the same society.

I have to tell you when you just repeat what she says, you look dumb.

I find it funny that this woman is such a hero to you and others...She is 29, grew up well taken care of. I'd say Cortez is so fiscally irresponsible that she hadn’t saved up enough money to rent an apartment in the Washington D.C. area. But sure, let’s trust her with the future fiscal-planning of America. She has no savings to her name, she is a freeloader, living off the taxpayer now. What a gig. My 20 year old daughter who is a JR hat MT has a higher net worth than AOC and makes maybe $7K per year. She started a Roth IRA when she turned 18, so saved $4K after 2 years at MTSU. She is on a pathway for survival and prospering.

Wow, Mike, since you and your wife are doing ok in Rutherford County, that means the rest of the country is just fine, right? She didn't say rich people and poor people shouldn't exist in the same society. Your words, not hers. Your lack of reading comprehension just makes you look dumb. If you have a full time employee, they shouldn't qualify for food stamps. You decry her not saving up for an apartment when several other reps, some of them conservatives, sleep in their office, so spare me your self righteous bull. That's nice what your daughter did, but not all of us have the same advantages in life. Other children go home to no dinner on a regular basis. They go home to abusive, addicted parents and more. Cortez may not have, but she's fighting for those that do. She's fighting for the parents that have to work two jobs to make ends meet. She's fighting for the person dieing of cancer with no insurance and much more. Left up to conservatives, my bed ridden, disabled niece would get only the healthcare available via charity and family, which isn't much. You don't care about anyone but yourselves.

You can have money and be aware of inequality, Lynn. Even she can't solve the issue by herself. It takes the entire country.

If someone chooses to have cable, an iPhone, new cars, etc. over paying rent then I have no sympathy. Some people will have more and some will have less. If you think you have to sell blood to make rent and pay for cable then you make bad decisions. Truth is no teacher HAS to sell blood to make rent. If they do and do not have cable and other non necessities that is a problem. We do not have that problem. Our problem is we think of non necessities as necessities and we should not. Cable and iPhones should not come before health insurance. I want everyone to be successful and in this country everyone can be.

Reactions: MTLynn
Why do liberals always complain about what they don’t have. Get your $hit in order and stop blaming everyone else.

John,

I've earned every damned thing I have. Our benefits are not entitlements. I've paid taxes since I was 14 years old. I'm not about to let a bunch of Fox News brainwashed Knuckleheads take them away. If others don't like that, it's too damned bad.

But she has said plenty that we know is accurate. AOC need to stop making herself a target...what she led with Amazon is almost funny if it wasn't so sad.

Amazon to pay $27B in taxes over 10 years, NYC would cut their taxes $3B over 10 yearsn - AOC out there saying that now NYC has $3B to spend on schools/other things after the deal was squashed. Does she not realize the $3B comes from the taxes Amazon would pay - the money doesn't exist yet?

I just stand in amazement.

Mike, I can find no evidence that what you say is true and I've looked. Also, several NYC politicians took issues with the Amazon move as well, not just AOC.

Mike, I can find no evidence that what you say is true and I've looked. Also, several NYC politicians took issues with the Amazon move as well, not just AOC.

Seriously BRF? Don't choose this hill to die on. Show me where the $3B is? Don't look for it, just use your mind...do you think NYC has $3B just laying around in some fund that they can use to entice businesses to come to NYC? This is a reduction of future taxes, its not rocket science. NY state has the second highest debt of all US states.

You don't have to look hard for the facts, in one search I found multiple explanations - here is one directly from the Liberal Governor of NY state, Cuomo

"The Amazon deal would have brought 25,000 jobs to Long Island City in Queens and as much as $30 billion in revenue. In exchange, the state and city agreed to give the retail giant $3 billion in tax incentives."

Meanwhile, AOC celebrated the exit saying the $3B could be used for something else - NEWSFLASH - the money doesn't exist if Amazon doesn't come and pay the $30B in taxes. The $3B isn't given up front, its just a reduction in taxes over 10 years.

Do find it ironic that AOC is going after Amazon - run by Liberals - look at all the things Bezos is investing in and pushing - funny how he used to be a champion for the Left and now these crazies are going after there own...its a new world.

Ok, for one thing, you never provided proof that she didn't understand about the $3 billion dollars in taxes . That is the assertion I was addressing and you still haven't shown proof that she said it. As far as her and others position on Amazon, why would NYC want to bring in Amazon if they are paying no taxes and are receiving incentives to be there at the cost of the city? Ok, let's look at what you posted... supposedly 25,000 in jobs... Now housing costs go up for the lower income residents. Now many of them have to move because they can be longer afford housing. Let's assume your $30 billion in revenue is correct, I doubt it, but let's run with it, now the city gets to collect $2 billion a year in taxes on the backs of the workers rather than Amazon. So, in the end, the company pays squat, rent and home prices are driven up, and the workers end up paying all the taxes, much of which would go towards infrastructure improvements due to the increase in population. From one perspective, not a good deal. But hey, you know everything, right? She's just an idiot, right? That's the problem with people like you; everyone that doesn't after with you is an "idiot." You have zero ability to look at things from another perspective.

Ok, for one thing, you never provided proof that she didn't understand about the $3 billion dollars in taxes . That is the assertion I was addressing and you still haven't shown proof that she said it. As far as her and others position on Amazon, why would NYC want to bring in Amazon if they are paying no taxes and are receiving incentives to be there at the cost of the city? Ok, let's look at what you posted... supposedly 25,000 in jobs... Now housing costs go up for the lower income residents. Now many of them have to move because they can be longer afford housing. Let's assume your $30 billion in revenue is correct, I doubt it, but let's run with it, now the city gets to collect $2 billion a year in taxes on the backs of the workers rather than Amazon. So, in the end, the company pays squat, rent and home prices are driven up, and the workers end up paying all the taxes, much of which would go towards infrastructure improvements due to the increase in population. From one perspective, not a good deal. But hey, you know everything, right? She's just an idiot, right? That's the problem with people like you; everyone that doesn't after with you is an "idiot." You have zero ability to look at things from another perspective.

Is this your response to me? Are you serious? Its all over the news in AOC own words that she things the $3B can be spent on other things - NEWS FLASH, without Amazon there is NO $3B to spend - the money is not there.

Let me help you out...share some numbers, knowledge

Jobs - Amazon would have reportedly generated $27.5 billion in city and state revenue over 25 years (THAT IS ACTUAL TAXES PAID) —a 9:1 ratio of revenue to subsidies. This arrangement was predicated on Amazon creating at least 25,000 jobs over the next decade—and up to 40,000—with an average salary of $150,000, the memorandum said. Another 1,300 jobs were in the pipeline for construction and some 107,000 in total direct and indirect jobs were anticipated, according to state estimates.

News flash for you...companies don't pay taxes unless they make a profit so this general ideal that we need to get more from corporations just mean that you and I pay more when we purchase so be careful what you wish for.

Infrastructure - To fund local infrastructure—streets, sidewalks, open space and the like—Amazon planned to utilize the city’s Payment In Lieu of Taxes (PILOT) program, estimated by former Deputy Mayor Alicia Glen at $600 to $650 million over four decades. Amazon would have also built a 600-seat school and 3.5 acres of public, open space along the waterfront at Anable Basin. This looks like a good investment for the city...I travel to NYC each month for business - this area will be changed for the better.

HQ2 was also piggybacking off of city infrastructure investments that were already in the works, or in the midst of being proposed, including $46 million for sewer and water-main upgrades, $60 million for a new school and a new Long Island Rail Road stop, and $180 million in new spending for overall improvements to Long Island City, the city has said.

Incentives: Lets take a look once again...

Amazon was to receive nearly $3 billion in tax breaks, abatement's, and grants. The state was committing up to $1.7 billion in Excelsior Tax Credits and capital grants—again, based on Amazon’s delivery of job and investment commitments. On the city side of things, the Industrial Commercial Abatement Program (ICAP) would have abated approximately $386 million in property taxes, while the Relocation and Employment Assistance Program (REAP) would have been worth $897 million, according to city and state officials. Incentives aside, the state would have reportedly earned $14 billion in tax returns, and the city would have received more than $13.5 billion in tax revenue over a 25 year period.

For us in Nashville/Boro - I'd take this deal all day long. What you also are not figuring is other investment that would have piggybacked off this...think of what happened to Murfreesboro/Smryna when Nissan built the plant - all kinds of other business came...meanwhile, NYC and NY state are in trouble...they are a high tax state that is losing wealthy folks slowly but surely. Why would the Governor of NY (who is very liberal) be so frustrated?

I sure you will keep up the fight, cause that's the way you roll...

First of all, I question some of your numbers. They seem to have a right leaning slant to them. Second of all, if her comments were "all over the news," I would be able to find them quoted on the internet and lastly, she was right; this would increase the cost of housing in that borough at least. Again, it's a matter of how you look at it. Your side only looks at numbers.

First of all, I question some of your numbers. They seem to have a right leaning slant to them. Second of all, if her comments were "all over the news," I would be able to find them quoted on the internet and lastly, she was right; this would increase the cost of housing in that borough at least. Again, it's a matter of how you look at it. Your side only looks at numbers.

BRF - you are so jaded that you cannot think for yourself, you literally have hitched your belief system to a ideology. Free your mind. The way you operate is to take points I've shared and then simple say it isn't true...I pulled the numbers from the State of NY - its their projection they used to pitch the deal. Lets keep it simple, for every $1 of tax incentive they get $9...if they don't do the deal, there is no money to give anyone because ALL the money comes from Amazon. The projected jobs are: Amazon 25,000-40,000, indirect impact - 100,000 jobs. AOC in her own words thinks there is $3B laying around that she says would be spent on schools - why isn't the $27B that they would be paying in taxes not good for schools?

This isn't liberal or conservative...this is plain math. The deal isn't perfect, its a much better deal that I think VA gave Amazon, but its a good deal for NY, they are in a hot mess. So the question I ask myself if I am a New Yorker is this - is it better for us to have this imperfect deal or is it better that we don't have it at all - easy choice - take the deal.

I don't think you appreciate the state of the finances in NY or NYC. They NEED more tax base. They MUST have growth to fund their spending. These types of deal don't come along for places like NYC very often.

Why do you think Governor Cuomo is so upset right now? You realize he is a very liberal.

There are other ways to increase funding aside from running up rent prices on the poor and lower middle class. I'm not saying anyone is completely right in their view. What I am saying is that you don't know every f-cking thing and that there are different ways of looking at this. Again, I've looked and can find no evidence that AOC said what you say she said. If she said it, you would have been able to provide a link to a quote by now.

ADVERTISEMENT