ADVERTISEMENT

MTSU in talks to acquire Valpo Law (non-sports)

MTCasey

Blue Raider
Gold Member
Jan 26, 2012
Reactions: BlueRaider95
From what I understand- combination of shrinking enrollment and financial drain on the institution.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Wow. I didn’t even know it was possible to do such a thing. For me who has only been back to campus once in the last 6 years, what is the education center it talks about placing it in? The old hospital?

Huge news! Yes, the old hospital site is where they are talking about locating it. The "newer" part of the hospital was not torn down and has been lightly used since. I think it would be an excellent home for the law school.

It was my understanding that tsu was the major blocking force when we attempted to obtain the Law School at Cumberland University.... Let's hope they have neither the obsession nor juice to create a blocking movement this time...

Reactions: SpaceRaider
The building in question (the Miller Education Center, on Bell Street) currently houses University College, the Executive Education Center for the College of Business, the Chinese Music/Culture Center, and a few other offices. I actually work in the building. As much as I love the facility and wouldn’t want to move, I do think it would be a good option for the law library, classrooms, offices, etc.

I don’t believe another LGI (former TBR four-year institution) has the singular ability to prohibit an acquisition. That said, it would still need to be okayed by THEC, and a lot of other things would need to fall into place. However, my assumption is that this has been in the works for a while- I don’t think the university would issue a release about it (as they did this afternoon) without already having had many of the necessary discussions.

IIRC, it was Nashville School of Law that we had interest in several years ago. Cumberland’s law program went to Samford a long time before that.

Bottom line, let’s keep our fingers crossed. Opportunities like this don’t come along often, and this could be transformative for MT.

...the Murfreesboro Post is starting to become a decent paper. I can see them taking over the dnj soon.....

from a MT coverage standpoint, I believe it may have already, meanwhile, the gannet junior is bringing in yet another beat writer who has no connection to the midstate or the university and will likely bring in a replacement for the new guy before he is able to know or care enough to establish roots in the community.

The building in question (the Miller Education Center, on Bell Street) currently houses University College, the Executive Education Center for the College of Business, the Chinese Music/Culture Center, and a few other offices. I actually work in the building. As much as I love the facility and wouldn’t want to move, I do think it would be a good option for the law library, classrooms, offices, etc.

I don’t believe another LGI (former TBR four-year institution) has the singular ability to prohibit an acquisition. That said, it would still need to be okayed by THEC, and a lot of other things would need to fall into place. However, my assumption is that this has been in the works for a while- I don’t think the university would issue a release about it (as they did this afternoon) without already having had many of the necessary discussions.

IIRC, it was Nashville School of Law that we had interest in several years ago. Cumberland’s law program went to Samford a long time before that.

Bottom line, let’s keep our fingers crossed. Opportunities like this don’t come along often, and this could be transformative for MT.
Spot on!

I've disagreed with the MT administration on more than one occasion but there is no way they are issuing a public statement without having off-the-record conversations with the MT BoT, THEC, and other parties.

I'm assuming the law library will be included in the move, but will faculty and staff be willing to make the move? How quickly can MT get the "green light" and start recruiting for the law school? Does ABA continue accreditation?

Now, if MT will just start a online EdD in Higher Ed Administration...

Reactions: RaiderDawg78
Is Vanderbilt and Meharry the only Medical schools in the MIdstate?

ETSU has Quillen School of Medicine in Johnson City; there is the UT Health Sciences Medical School in Memphis. It would be nice to see medicine, but law would be a splendid addition to MT. Keep our fingers crossed, we need this law school! It would do enormous wonders for our academic credibility nationally.

ETSU has Quillen School of Medicine in Johnson City; there is the UT Health Sciences Medical School in Memphis. It would be nice to see medicine, but law would be a splendid addition to MT. Keep our fingers crossed, we need this law school! It would do enormous wonders for our academic credibility nationally.

LMU has a DO school as in Harrogate (and a strangely enough 1 of the only 30 vet schools - classes in TN, but main vet campus in Virginia).

If MT acquires a law school, someday got a research based MD program, then we could explode with research & funding as a comprehensive university. MT really is a powder keg if our leadership makes the right decisions.

Reactions: Blueraider_Mike
So, we have entered into a nonbinding agreement and this is a "gift" where we are not buying the school?

Wow. Why would they choose MT to gift their school to? Its amazing, but almost seems too good to be true.

So, we have entered into a nonbinding agreement and this is a "gift" where we are not buying the school?

Wow. Why would they choose MT to gift their school to? Its amazing, but almost seems too good to be true.

It's a money pit for them at this point. They just want to get rid of it.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
It's a money pit for them at this point. They just want to get rid of it.
Yep. They have a TON of problems, so they're hoping to just make it someone else's problem. Guess it's ours to "fix" now :)

At first I was wondering why this was posted in the Raider Roundup and not the Watercooler Forum until I peaked into the Watercooler Forum and realized that BlueRaiderFan has single handedly taken over the entire forum to spread news to what appears to be himself..... lol

Reactions: lightningsig
ADVERTISEMENT