ADVERTISEMENT

MT Tennis starts out strong

Space, thanks for posting these. I realize non-revenue sports don’t move the needle for a lot of folks. Coach Jimmy B has built an incredible program at MT. The atmosphere inside the ATC is electric!
They finished last year ranked #19 and came into this year ranked #25.
Am confident there is not a coach on our staff who is in the community as much as Jimmy B is.
I promise if you attend one match you will come back.
3 consecutive years Conf USA champions.

Last edited:
Real proud of the 2 freshmen! Marcel clinched on court 5. Nice facility but not on par with the ATC.
Winston-Salem covered up with craft breweries downtown.🍺🍻👏
Alpha, you at the match yesterday and today? If so that's awesome. Love the support of the program.

Reactions: BlueAlpha
Born and raised in Buford. Naturally middle starts playing Charlotte after I move. Stop at Lexington bbq up there. The hushpuppies are phenomenal

As an NCAA tennis novice I just checked out the men's top 25 for the 1st time. The array of teams in the top 25 for men's tennis is not unlike the top 25 in NCAA basketball or football. For those unaware the Raiders are in prime competition against schools such as Ohio St, Texas, North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Stanford, etc. Outside of your traditional Power 5 schools in the top 25 there are a couple of ranked Ivy League schools as well. However, no remaining G5 schools are to be seen on that impressive list other than Middle Tennessee. When looking at facility upgrades, athletes, & rankings quite an incredible accomplishment for what this young coach has done in his time here. Hat's off to you sir.

As an NCAA tennis novice I just checked out the men's top 25 for the 1st time. The array of teams in the top 25 for men's tennis is not unlike the top 25 in NCAA basketball or football. For those unaware the Raiders are in prime competition against schools such as Ohio St, Texas, North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Stanford, etc. Outside of your traditional Power 5 schools in the top 25 there are a couple of ranked Ivy League schools as well. However, no remaining G5 schools are to be seen on that impressive list other than Middle Tennessee. When looking at facility upgrades, athletes, & rankings quite an incredible accomplishment for what this young coach has done in his time here. Hat's off to you sir.

Great point. Here is the top 25 list for anyone interested: http://collegetennisranks.com/rankings/current/d1m

RankTeamRecord
1Ohio State12-0
2Kentucky10-0
3TCU8-0
4Michigan10-0
5Virginia7-2
6USC6-1
7Texas7-1
8South Carolina8-0
9Wake Forest11-2
10Baylor5-5
11Tennessee6-3
12North Carolina6-2
13Georgia4-3
14Harvard4-2
15Florida State6-3
16Florida4-3
17Stanford6-2
18Arizona6-2
19Columbia3-1
20California4-2
21Middle Tennessee8-2
22Northwestern6-3
23Louisville7-2
24Mississippi State9-1
25Texas A&M1-3

Great point. Here is the top 25 list for anyone interested: http://collegetennisranks.com/rankings/current/d1m

RankTeamRecord
1Ohio State12-0
2Kentucky10-0
3TCU8-0
4Michigan10-0
5Virginia7-2
6USC6-1
7Texas7-1
8South Carolina8-0
9Wake Forest11-2
10Baylor5-5
11Tennessee6-3
12North Carolina6-2
13Georgia4-3
14Harvard4-2
15Florida State6-3
16Florida4-3
17Stanford6-2
18Arizona6-2
19Columbia3-1
20California4-2
21Middle Tennessee8-2
22Northwestern6-3
23Louisville7-2
24Mississippi State9-1
25Texas A&M1-3

RankTeamRecord
1Ohio State12-0
2Kentucky10-0
3TCU8-0
4Michigan10-0
5Virginia7-2
6USC6-1
7Texas7-1
8South Carolina8-0
9Wake Forest11-2
10Baylor5-5
11Tennessee6-3
12North Carolina6-2
13Georgia4-3
14Harvard4-2
15Florida State6-3
16Florida4-3
17Stanford6-2
18Arizona6-2
19Columbia3-1
20California4-2
21Middle Tennessee8-2
22Northwestern6-3
23Louisville7-2
24Mississippi State9-1
25Texas A&M1-3
Some of the 8 wins include: Michigan St, Indiana, Duke, Princeton, South Fla, & Va Tech.
Big weekend at the ATC with Oklahoma St Friday night and SMU Sunday.

Reactions: MTFAN61
Blue Raiders back in top 25 again! Now ranked at #21.
Here's a list of some of this team's victories for this year so far.
Power 5 Victories over the Big 10:
Michigan State
Indiana
Northwestern
ACC Victories:
Duke
Virginia Tech
Big 12 Victory:
Oklahoma
What the heck, Here's a few more victories over the mighty AAC:
USF, Tulane, SMU
So historically what Middle Tennessee team of any variety has had such an impressive resume for 1 year? None that I can compare. And guess what, according to the schedule they have a few more opportunities ahead of them.
Way to go coach, way to go!

Jimmy is going to end up with a statue if he stays here long enough

Jimmy is going to end up with a statue if he stays here long enough
And I've been impressed with how they are keeping him here. He has been heavily involved in the design of the new on campus facility. Trusting coaches enough to include them in things like that is a great way to keep them.

Reactions: ewglenn
Reading coach Borendame's bio I see he's spent 12 years hear after coaching 1 year at Drake. He's been instrumental in fund raising over $7 million towards the development of MT's indoor & outdoor facilities. Not only does he appear to be a quality coach & recruiter, but must have some excellent administrative & interpersonal skills to complete these accomplishments.
I imagine he sees MT Tennis as his baby, & it would take an amazing offer to pull him from Murfreesboro.
I see coach Borendame as our Dean Hayes of Tennis. I'm sure Coach Hayes had multiple offers, but after a while when you decide to own something the way he did it literally becomes home. Wouldn't be surprised after so much personal investment Coach Borendame feels the same, it's home now.

Reading coach Borendame's bio I see he's spent 12 years hear after coaching 1 year at Drake. He's been instrumental in fund raising over $7 million towards the development of MT's indoor & outdoor facilities. Not only does he appear to be a quality coach & recruiter, but must have some excellent administrative & interpersonal skills to complete these accomplishments.
I imagine he sees MT Tennis as his baby, & it would take an amazing offer to pull him from Murfreesboro.
I see coach Borendame as our Dean Hayes of Tennis. I'm sure Coach Hayes had multiple offers, but after a while when you decide to own something the way he did it literally becomes home. Wouldn't be surprised after so much personal investment Coach Borendame feels the same, it's home now.
Coach Hayes did have numerous offers throughout the years. It was crazy money bing offered and his wife did well in the boro.

That is the kind of coach a G5/mid-major whatever your word of the day is needs. Personable and outgoing. Friend of the community.

I mean look at the coaches we have had that fit that mold. Jimmy, King Insell (doesn't hurt he's local), Kermit, Hayes. All successful with the public which to me helped lend to success on the field/court. I came right at the jump to D1 in '98 but my understanding is Boots was that way as well.

I really hope he does feel at home and stays for many years.

Reactions: Noogaraider1
He is the only head coach for MT that follows and interacts with me on Twitter. He is a great guy and has my full support (similar to Lee).

For whatever reason this years home schedule has been different. Think this Friday’s doubleheader is the only match in March. The ITA rankings come out mid-week and it’s always the Top 75. There is also a fair amount of movement up & down weekly.
After this Friday’s match they venture to Oklahoma (already beat 4-0 on neutral court), Texas Tech, & Memphis before coming home to face VCU. All teams ranked Top 75.
If you are on FB, would encourage you to like Blue Raider Mens Tennis. They provide great updates on the home matches especially. You will see the work he puts in from a promotion standpoint, trying to create a true, home court advantage.
The past 2 seasons he has arranged for The Boulevard to be there so one can purchase beer/wine if they so desire.
School & community beyond fortunate to have him.

Just another head scratcher by the league office. The Womens Tennis tournament seeds were also released. All 11 schools are playing in the conference tourney. The mens is only the top 6. The top 2 seeds get first round byes. Which makes perfect sense to me. In a conference with a ridiculous footprint ranging from Virginia across to New Mexico, then down to south Florida, flying non-revenue sport teams all over the place is silly. Why the inconsistency of all 11 Womens teams, as opposed to the top 6 in mens?
As a strong MT mens tennis fan, am glad we only need to win Saturday to play for the conference championship Sunday.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Just another head scratcher by the league office. The Womens Tennis tournament seeds were also released. All 11 schools are playing in the conference tourney. The mens is only the top 6. The top 2 seeds get first round byes. Which makes perfect sense to me. In a conference with a ridiculous footprint ranging from Virginia across to New Mexico, then down to south Florida, flying non-revenue sport teams all over the place is silly. Why the inconsistency of all 11 Womens teams, as opposed to the top 6 in mens?
As a strong MT mens tennis fan, am glad we only need to win Saturday to play for the conference championship Sunday.
Those 5 schools don't have mens tennis.

But your point is still valid on the distance aspect. That is why I support the West Coast Conference way, if we stay at 10 teams. Their basketball bracket has #1 & #2 not playing till semis, #3 & #4 not till quarters, and #5 & #6 not till second round. No reason to not adapt a similar way for other sports as well, especially non-revenue sports. Also makes the regular season mean more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT