ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL MT lands another transfer

Matt Dossett

All American
Staff
May 14, 2016

Off the heels of landing Josh Jefferson, MT lands Isaiah Turner...

Last edited:
This kid looks pretty good from my untrained eye. Moves great for 6’9”

Glad to see a separate thread for this commit. I was confused as to why the post in the Jefferson thread was made in the first place.
I had been refreshing the other thread hoping for more info on Turner and wondered why nothing was forthcoming.
IMHO each commit or signee needs a separate thread with his name in the thread title. Just my 2 cents worth.

Numbers at Odessa are not that great. 63% from the free throw line, 36% from the 3pt line. 0.7 assist to turnover ratio so more turnovers than assists. The turnovers are quite concerning considering we already have major problems with that. Clunky shooting motion. Thin, can probably get bullied down low in this league if we play him at the 4 or 5 though I know he played guard at Odessa but he's 6-9 so he can really play anywhere. Doesn't shoot well enough to be the stretch 4 that this roster desperately needs. Seems they might try to slot him in at the 3 position but I really I have no idea what plans the staff have for this guy but they're welcome to prove me wrong. What position does he naturally fit into? Seems like a bit of a tweener to me, like Crump was. Hard to see him being a successful guard in this league in my eyes but I hope I'm wrong. He does have a nice floater in the lane and can get to the basket but his shooting motion is a bit wonky. Launches his jump shots from his chest. He is still pretty raw and needs more development. Can our coaching staff provide that?

Overall, seems a bit underwhelming for a JC transfer so paint me skeptical. Hate to be a debbie downer but this staff is going to have to prove it can recruit until I believe in them for signing unknown's such as this. To be fair he did improve his numbers from freshman to sophomore year, and his points/minute are pretty good at the JC level. I know Nick likes these long rangey guys at guard like the MaCio Teague's and such but it's so hard to truly find a productive guard with that size at our level. Everybody in the nation want's a 6-9 guard with long rangey arms so all the good one's usually end up in Power 5 programs. There's definitely some potential there but this looks like a gamble to me. It's one thing to blow by guys in JC for a lay up and it's another to play within the offense and do it in CUSA where the defenders are much better.

One thing is apparent though, Nick appears to be all in on the transfer route. Not sure if this is a product of the current free agent market or because he knows he has to win and win now. Probably a mixture of both. It's concerning because this program already lacks identity, culture, toughness, and discipline. Bringing in a bunch of transfers is going to make it even more challenging to establish those things. Hate the direction CBB is going with the free agent portal and rampant transferitis amongst the players.

I really hope regardless of what happens next year, this team develops some toughness, discipline, and an identity. Would be nice to see Nick pull a player for taking a stupid shot or making a stupid decision. Maybe let him know it was a stupid decision or lazy effort too so maybe next time he makes a better decision or gives more effort. I think that type of discipline is sorely missed from the Kermit days. Every single possession in CBB matters. Every one of them. Both on the offensive and defensive ends. You have to value each and every one of your possessions and give great effort to limit your opponents possessions. I know this sounds trivial and simple but I really don't feel like there's enough emphasis on it. You simply cannot allow bad shots/bad decisions/poor effort/free easy baskets for the opponent. Giving away easy shots, turning the ball over, and throwing up prayers/terrible shot selection is a surefire way to becoming a terrible team. There's no point in even playing the games if that's the way things are gonna go.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtfblue
He is good in transition. I think he would struggle in a half court, slow it down offense. Fast break would suit him well.

When do you ever see our team out in transition, getting easy buckets, attacking the basket, etc?

CUSA has athletic teams across the board. It's hard to get out and run in this league. Defense, 3pt shooting, and inside-outside action is how you win in this league.

ADVERTISEMENT