2012: 25,394

2013: 23,881

2014: 22,729

2015: 22,511

2016: 22,050

2017: 21,913

2018: 21,630

2019: 21,721

the "slump" is likely caused by kids attending juco's. My daughter is taking classes at vol state as is my sons girlfriend.

the "slump" is likely caused by kids attending juco's. My daughter is taking classes at vol state as is my sons girlfriend.

I know the way things are set up now, going the junior college route is probably the smartest financially move if a full ride scholarship is not available, but I swear that in my memory I can recall instances where other former BOR schools have experienced growth in the same time frame as MT was experiencing declines to the point where enrollment was down almost 5K from it's highpoint.

I'm betting that no other university in the state has experienced the same kind of decline in student enrollment, numbers or percentage-wise, during the last 7 or 8 years. It's seems like the big complaint prior to this contraction, was that facilities could not handle the load of students, but all the while, capacity was exploding by adding of new classroom facilities and other support buildings on campus.

Last edited:
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
I know the way things are set up now, going the junior college route is probably the smartest financially move if a full ride scholarship is not available, but I swear that in my memory I can recall instances where other former BOR schools have experienced growth in the same time frame as MT was experiencing declines to the point where enrollment was down almost 5K from it's highpoint.

I'm betting that no other university in the state has experienced the same kind of decline in student enrollment, numbers or percentage-wise, during the last 7 or 8 years. It's seems like the big complaint prior to this contraction, was that facilities could not handle the load of students, but all the while, capacity was exploding by adding of new classroom facilities and other support buildings on campus.

For comparison, below are UTK’s numbers.

2019: 29,460
2018: 28,894
2017: 28,321
2016: 28,052
2015: 27,845
2014: 27,410
2013: 27,171

I would be curious to know if our overall number of applications dropped or number of accepted to actual attended dropped. Also curious how our cost of attendance has changed over these years compared to others. I also wonder if there was a scholarship change with regards to covering cost of attendance.

So many things can influence attendance.

proven fact, if your football program is extremely successful, application and attendance numbers increase

I think the problem with MT decline in enrollment (we could argue if it's a problem) it twofold. One is the JUCO issue (already mentioned) which for those not into college for the "experience" but for training for a career no doubt going to one of the area community colleges for the first two years is advisable. This issue is exacerbated by all three area community colleges establishing and/or expanding their satellite campuses in the areas of growth in the areas of population explosion regionally; the counties contiguous to Nashville where for years MT has been the regional college of choice. Even in Rutherford County Motlow has a campus in Smyrna IIRC.

But there is one area which IMHO is more concern. I see it locally where I live and in area high school students I know. MT is not even a consideration for those in the more affluent areas which surround Nashville. It's not so much students are considering "elite" schools for status (some are) or are choosing flagship schools for the "experience" - fraternities and sororities, football weekends, etc. (some are) but most of these kids are competitive and want a school which has a good reputation in their proposed course of study. Doubt many of these kids want fermentation science, concrete management or construction mgt. Yes, we have one of the top schools in aviation but how many kids have that as a life goal. Even our once heralded music program is taking a back seat to Belmont.
The med school hookup with Meharry might help but I doubt many students in the area have Meharry as a med school choice (not meant as criticism of Meharry or a racial statement - just stating facts). Likewise getting the law school might have helped but that's a moot point. No doubt the school is hyping the recent Princeton review rating. The honors college needs much more publicity but it is a two-edged sword - does having an honors college not necessarily imply that the rest of the university isn't quite "up to snuff". Regardless, to serve the immediate geographic area effectively and become a destination school MT must enhance it's academic reputation even more and in academic fields high-achieving students want. IMHO that's as much a challenge as becoming relevant in D-1 football in today's climate.

You may be on to something's. Found a USA Today article from October that listed the schools with the greatest increase in applicants this past year. Tech, ETSU, Memphis & Belmont were on the list. So those schools are getting more applicants.

It is also a national trend for the numbers of applicants/enrollees to be going down.

So obviously other state schools are doing things different than us. I don’t know our goal though - are we trying to be accessible to more students or increase the quality of our students or draw more out of state/international students? What is our vision? That could explain /guide where we go or why our numbers drop.

I personally think the value of the freshman/sophomore experience is not as high, given the dual enrollment/juco options versus cost of attendance.

IIRC, the entranced (ACT scores and GPA) requirements were raised at MT which stunted enrollment immediately

Reactions: C-Bow
proven fact, if your football program is extremely successful, application and attendance numbers increase

I've heard and read the same kind of thing with basketball, and during the time frame the article talks about, basketball was successful over a short stretch of years but that apparently had no impact whatsoever.

I've heard and read the same kind of thing with basketball, and during the time frame the article talks about, basketball was successful over a short stretch of years but that apparently had no impact whatsoever.

True. Probably need to define success as it applies to the study.

For my children, they will be going the two year route and then moving to a four year unless they receive a presidential scholarship or some other offset other than the hope or TN promise. I have two that are interested in a service academy. Even the one who may join the aerospace program at Middle said that he will go the two year route for financial reasons if it makes sense.

I would like to know if our freshman drop out rate decreased as well. If that improved then I see lower numbers as a success. No reason for people to get accepted into something that doesn't fit.

excerpt:

1911 when university opened: 247

2011 in peak year of enrollment: 26,442

2012: 25,394

2013: 23,881

2014: 22,729

2015: 22,511

2016: 22,050

2017: 21,913

2018: 21,630

2019: 21,721

It'll be interesting to see how far enrollment drops after prospective students see this...

Reactions: MT Glenn
For my children, they will be going the two year route and then moving to a four year unless they receive a presidential scholarship or some other offset other than the hope or TN promise. I have two that are interested in a service academy. Even the one who may join the aerospace program at Middle said that he will go the two year route for financial reasons if it makes sense.

I would like to know if our freshman drop out rate decreased as well. If that improved then I see lower numbers as a success. No reason for people to get accepted into something that doesn't fit.

I have already told my kids they aren't allowed to attend a public school in the state. This state is a joke the way it intentionally undermines its own institutions to politically play favorites for other institutions. I've lived in seven different states and none of them operate like Tennessee does. This state simply does not take higher education seriously. It's an afterthought to power and ego for those that wield it within the state. And you don't have to look much further than the idiotic choice with the law school as exhibit A.

It'll be interesting to see how far enrollment drops after prospective students see this...

I'm seriously trying to think right now of one thing this university has done right in the past two or three years. Drawing a blank.

How could anyone after cutting this play it back and be like yep that hit the mark? I swear if I could go back and change where I went to grad school I might just do it.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
I'm seriously trying to think right now of one thing this university has done right in the past two or three years. Drawing a blank.

How could anyone after cutting this play it back and be like yep that hit the mark? I swear if I could go back and change where I went to grad school I might just do it.
I've literally become ashamed to say that I graduated from MT.

Not good. Maybe suitable for children under 14 in middle school. Not aimed at professionals seeking higher degrees and matriculating a high quality Tier One research institution. Think this waters down our institutional image greatly. Getting licensed Smurf or Smurfette (making a play on Smurfreesboro) advertising standing with Lightning is better.

A dreadfully produced clip: I grade this a solid “F” for the record.

Last edited:
Is this the video we are going to see now every time we play on TV - as part of the TV deals where the schools get their ad shown? Please tell me this thing isn't going to go anywhere else. It's bad enough it's already on youtube.

Some people make videos to be “campy” on purpose. This looks to be the direction but I think it misses the mark unless you throw in a celebrity or something.

ADVERTISEMENT