ADVERTISEMENT

More People Employed Than You Think

Most all of this a result of the US govt - tax law, bailouts, fed policy - the destruction of the dollar. Then I would add some of it is global competition, can't blame other countries for wanting to compete.

It isn't rocket science to make changes, it might create some short term pain, but we are locking in long term pain right now.

When I was a boy a large company tried to leave the country and congress stopped them. That company was fine. That's when owners cared about the citizens of this country.

Originally posted by BlueRaiderFan:
When I was a boy a large company tried to leave the country and congress stopped them. That company was fine. That's when owners cared about the citizens of this country.
Today, if your a large company you cannot compete if you focus just in US...times have changed these companies are competing with GLOBAL competitors. Why not just create the right atmosphere where companies invest here because it the best for the company, best for the employees and ultimately it will be better for the country. The best welfare strategy is a job - people need work.

We have the highest corporate tax rates in the world, there are billions in cash sitting overseas but cannot be brought into the US because they will be taxed at 35% rates.

Awful for that company. If they wanted to move, they should have been able to.

I don't trust anyone trying to "protect" anything. When I hear "protect American jobs" I scoff. Business is business. You shouldn't force a business to do something just because it makes you feel bad.

No one is protecting the music industry over digital music. No one is protecting publishing companies due to ereaders. No one is protecting tech workers from the cloud and software as a service. You want to know why? Because it is good for the consumer when these things organically evolve and mature.

Originally posted by BlueRaiderFan:

They can compete. They just want to"maximize profit for the shareholders." Screw the people that actually do the work.

I don't know man. Maybe it is just me...I just don't look at it from that angle.

What infuriates me is that people can't go into business for themselves easily. Banks wont give loans....startups require investors. Small mom and pops are hard to get going and franchises costs too much money.

We are all too dependent on someone else (employer) to cut a check to us but getting a business off the ground seems like it has never been more difficult with unavailability of loans and gov't.

I hate protectionism. I wish people had more flexibility to take a risk in business rather than slaving in a cubicle their entire life.

Corporations have basically eliminated the mom and pop stores. That's why you hear a lot of people say to "buy local" because it takes Corporate America out of the equation and puts money into the hands of the local guy. As far as franchises, they are not impossible to get into, but you need to either be very frugal and save for 5-10 years to get into one, or you need to be upper middle class or better. I don't favor extreme protectionism. I'm just pointing out that these huge corporations have enough money to be competitive and grow. They use that as the rallying cry around "low taxes" and get Joe Bubba to go along with it, thinking that he is trying to get his $125 a week in taxes lowered, which won't happen. If anyone gets a break, it will be Corp. Amer. If we had a level tax like some want, all those shiny jets and tanks and missiles would go the way of the dinosaur because once the wealthy started paying 10% like the rest of us, the funds to the coffers would go way down and it wouldn't really spur growth, though it probably would spur and investment bubble.

Fair enough.

I've never looked at taxes being lowered would, in turn, put that back in our pockets. I looked at it as if they would reinvest in more jobs and grow.

Anyhow, I will say I am sick of the golden parachutes. When I see executives fail but get several millions while everyone else fails only to scratch and crawl to keep afloat, it makes me cringe.

I used to be more sympathetic towards corporate america but the bailouts and the economic downturn really made me rethink a lot of business policy.

They are raking it in and crying foul on taxes when in reality they are fine. Our corp tax rate starts at that19%. They aren't hurting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT