Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country

Enrollment: 6,628
Arena: Tudor Fieldhouse (5,208)
Colors: Blue & Gray Nickname: Owls
Head Coach: Scott Pera
Record at School: 66-90 (6th Season) Career Record: 66-90 (6th Season)
2021-22 Record: 16-17, 7-11 2021-22 Finish: 5th C-USA West 2021-22Postseason: CBI First Round
Starters R/L: 2/3 Letterwinners R/L: 8/8
SERIES: RICE LEADS 7-6

Lost by 40 @ Pepperdine. Should be a cake walk, unless we somehow manage to shoot like a junior high team again.

Might make 2nd half. Have a high school meeting at 6:00

Whoop Ass Reaction GIF

After a slow few minutes showed nice improvement from game 1 to game 2. Raiders keyed in on their #1 objective to shoot the 3 & kept them to only 1 or 2 from deep. Glad to see the new guards with valuable playing time.

Great performance. I want to see them play like this when the games are closer to pick'ems and we are not double digit favorites. We will be tough to beat if we can continue to shoot the 3 ball like that but I remain highly skeptical they can stay consistent from deep.

I want to see them play like this when we are playing good teams not conference bottom feeders. FT shooting is still dreadful and is going to cost us in close games if these guys don't get it figured out. You could argue it's already cost us one game on the road @ Winthrop with 14 missed free throws (and several of those 1 and 1's that should have led to even more points).

A loss on the road and we get 37 comments in the thread mostly trashing this team.

And every one of them was well earned. They played like absolute dog shit. The one time I've decided to bet on them in like the last two years, of course they would shoot like a junior high team. I guess that's my fault for having any faith in this team or anything Blue Raider associated because it is literally always a let down, but I really didn't believe Winthrop was a good team and I still don't believe they are a good team, we just completely shit the bed.

Tonight, they were 10 point favorites over Rice. A team that got boat raced by 40 @ Pepperdine a week ago. They're not a good team. Sorry we are all not excited to beat a conference bottom feeder. If they played like this against UAB, WKU, North Texas, etc then it's a different story. But, it's Rice afterall.

It's great that they played well at home. Not going to take anything away from them, but there's 22 games I've got my eye on this season that I've categorized as competitive match ups that we need to win. We are 0-1 in those games. Obviously, we need to win them all, but we've got 9 lay ups on the schedule and those 9 games are not going to tell us anything about where our team is.

And every one of them was well earned. They played like absolute dog shit. The one time I've decided to bet on them in like the last two years, of course they would shoot like a junior high team. I guess that's my fault for having any faith in this team or anything Blue Raider associated because it is literally always a let down, but I really didn't believe Winthrop was a good team and I still don't believe they are a good team, we just completely shit the bed.

Tonight, they were 10 point favorites over Rice. A team that got boat raced by 40 @ Pepperdine a week ago. They're not a good team. Sorry we are all not excited to beat a conference bottom feeder. If they played like this against UAB, WKU, North Texas, etc then it's a different story. But, it's Rice afterall.

It's great that they played well at home. Not going to take anything away from them, but there's 22 games I've got my eye on this season that I've categorized as competitive match ups that we need to win. We are 0-1 in those games. Obviously, we need to win them all, but we've got 9 lay ups on the schedule and those 9 games are not going to tell us anything about where our team is.
Since when does 1 game on the road warrant trashing a team and saying the season is over? That is called an overreaction. We may not be as good or we may he great, but no one can determine that based on one game in college basketball. Beating any D1 basketball team by nearly 40 is a good win. They are a good team that needs to iron out some things. Just saying we should acknowledge when they play good just as much as when they play bad. Maybe make better bets next time than to bet on a team with question marks on the road their first game vs a D1 team?

Since when does 1 game on the road warrant trashing a team and saying the season is over? That is called an overreaction. We may not be as good or we may he great, but no one can determine that based on one game in college basketball. Beating any D1 basketball team by nearly 40 is a good win. They are a good team that needs to iron out some things. Just saying we should acknowledge when they play good just as much as when they play bad. Maybe make better bets next time than to bet on a team with question marks on the road their first game vs a D1 team?

I will admit I was more harsh than I would normally be because of the bet. It was a very large bet for me and one of my biggest of the year. Turned out to be a crippling loss and cleaned me completely out on one of my accounts. Been a long time since I bet on an MT team because I felt like I couldn't be objective. But objectively, MT should have won this game. They were a favorite for a reason. Winthrop had more question marks than MT, plus a new coach to boot. That's a game we should be winning. That's a game that McDevitt should be finding a way to win. He's in year 5 making nearly 4x what that 1st year Winthrop coach is making.

Winthrop had to replace 6 players on their roster this year, including two double digit scorers. Brand new coach as well. We had no business losing that game.

My decision to bet on the game was purely objective and was a combination of MT being the better team and reverse line movement in Vegas. MT opened -1 but went to -2.5 by tip off (and even -3 at some places) yet over 70% of the handle was on Winthrop. The line should have moved in Winthrop's favor and possibly even turned them into a small favorite. Instead, the books were begging and baiting people into taking Winthrop, and for good reason. MT was the better team.

Ya'll know the rest though. They went out and played one of the most undisciplined games I've ever seen and couldn't hit a shot if the world depended on it.

What we saw in the Rice game is more in-line with the expectations for this team and what was expected @ Winthrop. FT shooting is still unbelievably bad, and the 3 point shooting certainly won't continue at that clip, but from a discipline stand point they were better and took care of business. I didn't get to watch the whole game but from what I did see, the offense was flowing much better and defensively they were locked in.

Long term, the limitations for this team will be self-imposed, specifically 3 point shooting and FT shooting. The defense is going to be there. The depth to play aggressive defense all game will be there. Rebounding looks like it will be there. More assists than turnovers seems likely (assuming they don't have another night of Jr. High shooting, but now that I'm done betting on them I'm sure they won't). I probably sound like captain obvious here, but it's going to come down to flat out shooting %'s for this team in the important games. And I am still highly skeptical of the offensive prowess of this group in key games after the Winthrop performance.

We'll know more soon enough. @ Mo St. is going to be a legit, key game for this program. If we are to have any hope of a possible at-large or NIT bid, @ Mo St. is a must-win game. We have no power 5's on the schedule, our OOC is all respectable mid-majors. We will have to win nearly all of those games to even be considered. Starting 0-2 in OOC play would be a disaster.

Nick is one of the top paid coaches in the G5 and in Year 5 to boot. It's time to produce results that are reflective of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: crposton
Early observation, after watching the 1st few games I think this whole teams success is based on how early we can get a few buckets to drop. With new guard play confidence is everything. Early on against Winthrop it took a good period of time to get our offensive flow, but once we did the Raiders even on the road cut into the lead significantly, just too little too late. With Rice once again a slow start, but this time it only took about 5 minutes to get a scoring rhythm. But in both games once it began the guys pretty much never lost track. I feel once we get to a point we can hit a couple back to back shots in the first 2 - 3 minutes we can be looking at a pretty formidable team. Hopefully that's sooner than later, & definitely by conference season.

Upcoming opponent Murray State takes down #25 Texas A&M with an entirely new team. That's impressive

ADVERTISEMENT