Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
NORTH TEXAS
Enrollment: 37,979
Arena: The Super Pit (10,500)
Colors: Kelly Green & White Nickname: Mean Green
Head Coach: Grant McCasland Record at School: 41-30 (2 Seasons) Career Record: 61-42 (3 Seasons)
2018-19 Record: 20-12, 8-10 2018-19 Finish: T-9th C-USA 2018-19 Postseason: N/A
Starters R/L: 3/3 Letterwinners R/L: 6/4
Twitter: @MeanGreenMBB

GAME NOTES

LISTEN

Date: February 6, 2020 Time: 6:30 PM CT
Arena: Murphy Center (11,520)
Series Record: MT leads 15-8
TV: ESPN+ Talent: Jake Rose (PxP), Madison Blevins (Analyst)
Radio: Blue Raider Network (Game2/WGNS/TuneIn) Talent: Chip Walters (PxP), Kyle Turnham (Analyst)
Twitter: @MT_MBB, #BlueRaiders

North texas is ripe for the picking and we are playing decent basketball. We looked decent on this road trip....will it carry over to the Murphy Center?

Reactions: dukewayne
Look, I readily admit that the team has finally shown some signs of some improvement in the last few games. In my opinion, it will take more sustained stretches of improved play to restore any confidence that the team might be headed in the right direction.

That said, CNM has a big opportunity to regain or build some confidence with North Texas. The last place Blue Raiders playing a top team in the conference is a big opportunity to take a good step in the right direction. It won't be easy, but it is not impossible either.

Good defense is always a must. If the Blue Raiders demonstrate good ball movement consistently for much of the game, they just might have a shot.

M&M aka Beavis & Butt-Head have pretty much destroyed my confidence in MT in general. It would be nice to see CNM succeed tonight and restore at least a little confidence in the men's basketball team. I'm not exactly holding my breath, but they have a chance with great effort, smart play, and teamwork!

Although I've come to be full of doubts about CNM's abilities to succeed at a high level here at MT, he is still a guy I would love to see succeed here at MT. By all accounts, he is a quality human being. It would be nice to see someone like him make a success of it here.

It's something I think of as akin to KC & the Super Bowl. HC Andy Reid had a lot of non-KC fans pulling for them because Reid has a big reputation for being one of the good guys.

MT +9

1 bill again

Let’s go

They might have a shot to be competitive with outstanding defensive effort and good ball movement on offense. The dribble and hand off does not work for this team. They are not built for that kind of play. When the team demonstrates good spacing with crisp ball movement around the perimeter, the offense seems to flow and function more effectively. Plus, that effort makes the opponent expend energy on defense in trying to cover the ball. Good ball movement requires the defense to actually have to move to defend.

If the team can do that, they just might have a chance to be competitive and make it a close game.

I am liking Lawrence more and more over the past few games. Hoping he continues to improve.

On a very nice note, the ladies were losing 56-55 to North Texas at the start of the 4th quarter. They just won 80-60. That’s not a typo. Wow!!! Impressive job

On a very nice note, the ladies were losing 56-55 to North Texas at the start of the 4th quarter. They just won 80-60. That’s not a typo. Wow!!! Impressive job

We could have the #1 WBB team in the country and I literally would not care. Not trying to be mean, but I just cannot get into women's basketball. It's sloppy, uncoordinated, and painful to watch. Even at the highest levels.

I guess running an offense is just too hard. I watched a couple possessions in the second half to see us sprint down the court to just heave a shot...brick...and not grab a rebound.

We could have the #1 WBB team in the country and I literally would not care. Not trying to be mean, but I just cannot get into women's basketball. It's sloppy, uncoordinated, and painful to watch. Even at the highest levels.

Regarding girls/women's basketball; There are two primary reasons that women's and girl's basketball is so popular in this area:
Tennessee was one of the few areas in the entire country where high school girl's basketball was in the past equally or more popular that boy's basketball. During the last several years of playing 6 on 6 (three on each end for you youngsters) the girls state tournament outdrew the boy's. The culture was ingrained in rural areas especially and Insell was both a product of and a beneficiary of that popularity. (it has always upset me seeing fans leaving The Murph after the women's game when we have doubleheaders but I understand some fans prefer the women's game played "below the rim" and don't care for the men's game. Hate to admit that some of that could be racial. The women's game today does closely resemble the men's game before integration)
Secondarily, the notoriety of the program and the coach up East is another reason the women's game is so popular in this area. I won't go into my feelings about that.

I want MT to do well in any competition. It's my school. And I have been to several women's games during the years. (many more than baseball and softball combined - I strongly dislike ball and bat sports - It's personal - but I will watch MT when they are on TV - And yes sWiley, I would care if BB or SB were #1)
Anyone outside of the women's basketball "bubble" would have to admit that the women's game, while growing, is far behind the men's in popularity. IMHO making the 2nd NCAA tournament weekend for MT's men would do far more for the school nationally than the women making the final four (although locally the benefit would be debatable).

Regardless, sWiley: This is the 2nd time I recall you having a rant about how much you detest women's basketball. I get it, we all do. Please let it rest.

Regarding girls/women's basketball; There are two primary reasons that women's and girl's basketball is so popular in this area:
Tennessee was one of the few areas in the entire country where high school girl's basketball was in the past equally or more popular that boy's basketball. During the last several years of playing 6 on 6 (three on each end for you youngsters) the girls state tournament outdrew the boy's. The culture was ingrained in rural areas especially and Insell was both a product of and a beneficiary of that popularity. (it has always upset me seeing fans leaving The Murph after the women's game when we have doubleheaders but I understand some fans prefer the women's game played "below the rim" and don't care for the men's game. Hate to admit that some of that could be racial. The women's game today does closely resemble the men's game before integration)
Secondarily, the notoriety of the program and the coach up East is another reason the women's game is so popular in this area. I won't go into my feelings about that.

I want MT to do well in any competition. It's my school. And I have been to several women's games during the years. (many more than baseball and softball combined - I strongly dislike ball and bat sports - It's personal - but I will watch MT when they are on TV - And yes sWiley, I would care if BB or SB were #1)
Anyone outside of the women's basketball "bubble" would have to admit that the women's game, while growing, is far behind the men's in popularity. IMHO making the 2nd NCAA tournament weekend for MT's men would do far more for the school nationally than the women making the final four (although locally the benefit would be debatable).

Regardless, sWiley: This is the 2nd time I recall you having a rant about how much you detest women's basketball. I get it, we all do. Please let it rest.

Agreed 100%. If MT had a tiddlywinks team, I would care if they were successful and represented the school well.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I simply cannot muster any excitement whatsoever for a Blue Raider Basketball team that is dead last in this crappy conference. How far we have fallen in a little less than two seasons. Sad.

Reactions: amgtmom

Actually women's basketball, especially in high school, is more fundamentally sound than men. Probably because of less athletic ability.

Reactions: Blue_H
Actually women's basketball, especially in high school, is more fundamentally sound than men. Probably because of less athletic ability.

I think so as well. I would argue they are typically more sound and just as coordinated, particularly at the higher level. Now if someone prefers the athleticism of a men’s game, I absolutely get it. But really difficult to argue the other points.

Reactions: Blue_H
I loathe soccer but, as with every MT sport, I want them to be #1 in the nation.

I absolutely hate to see a MT player transfer to a power 5 $chool

Reactions: SpaceRaider

Not being native to Tennessee, I have often wondered how historically girls basketball became a part of the sports culture here in the state. It has been abundantly clear that in general Tennessee embraces and grows girl bball players. It's almost something akin to Iowa and wrestling. Was it just something organic or were there some group or person that promoted it in the state?

Not being native to Tennessee, I have often wondered how historically girls basketball became a part of the sports culture here in the state. It has been abundantly clear that in general Tennessee embraces and grows girl bball players. It's almost something akin to Iowa and wrestling. Was it just something organic or were there some group or person that promoted it in the state?

I would imagine Pat Summit had a lot to do with that.

I would imagine Pat Summit had a lot to do with that.

I would think so. I figured that women's bball was already growing in TN long before Pat Summit's run of championships. The reason I always assumed that is because girls bball almost seems to have been ingrained in the culture of the state. I figured something like that would take decades of growth and nurturing. I also figured Summit's run through the stratosphere of success likely would have kicked up girls bball popularity to another level here in the modern era. Perhaps solidified it's prominence in the state.

Admittedly, this has just been my assumptions and speculation.

I’m pretty sure Wiley is considerably younger than me so I would bet he never saw a girls game played with 6 on 6 half court like they used to do in my day. Guards were guards and could not cross half court. They passed it over the half court line to their forwards who ran and scored against the other team’s guards.

It was terribly boring. Even more boring than the ladies now playing 5 on 5 full court and I guess women felt the half court game was played that way because it was thought they were the weaker sex. LOL!

Long before Pat Summitt at Tennessee, Nashville Business College had one of the most dominant women’s basketball programs in the country. I think they were the forerunner for a lot of the cultural significance of women’s basketball in this state as DukeWayne talked about earlier.

Long before Pat Summitt at Tennessee, Nashville Business College had one of the most dominant women’s basketball programs in the country. I think they were the forerunner for a lot of the cultural significance of women’s basketball in this state as DukeWayne talked about earlier.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sp...siness-college-ncaa-women-basketball/7203913/

I never saw Nera White play basketball, but I did see her several times pitch in fast pitch softball in the early 1960s in Shelby Park in Nashville. She was dominating in that as I understand she was in basketball. Wish I could've see her play basketball.

I have watched women's basketball in high school when it was still the old style and MT since the late 70s, and had wbb season tickets long before it was a fashionable thing to do when Rick Insell was hired.

I want all MT teams to win, win big.

Last edited:
https://www.tennessean.com/story/sp...siness-college-ncaa-women-basketball/7203913/

I never saw Nera White play basketball, but I did see her several times pitch in fast pitch softball in the early 1960s in Shelby Park in Nashville. She was dominating in that as I understand she was in basketball. Wish I could've see her play basketball.

I have watched women's basketball in high school when it was still the old style and MT since the late 70s, and had wbb season tickets long before it was a fashionable thing to do when Rick Insell was hired.

I want all MT teams to win, win big.

My grandmother played basketball for Nashville Business College back in the 30s, which is before the time periods mentioned in that article and maybe even before there were any national tournaments for women’s basketball. I like to think my grandmother was one of the early pioneers for women’s basketball. She was ahead of her time in many ways.

ADVERTISEMENT