ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee vs Marshall, 2:30PM, Saturday, November 7

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Game thread, links are a work in progress:

Where: Johnny Red Floyd Stadium, Capacity (30,788), 1500 Greenland Drive, Murfreesboro, TN 37130, gameday parking, seating chart

Television: Fox Sports Regional Network, Play-by-Play: Brendan Burke, Color Analyst: Ben Leber, Sideline: Christian Stecke

Radio:WMOT-FM (89.5), WGNS (1450 AM/100.5 FM/101.9 FM), Game 2 (102.5/94.9/95.1), PxP: Chip Walters, Analyst: Wes Hofacker

Streaming: Live Audio/Live Streaming

Live Stats:
goblueraiders.com

Newspapers: , Herald Dispatch, Beckley Register Herald, Charleston GazetteMail, Marshall Parthenon,

Message Boards: HerdNation, Herd Fans, HerdHaven,

Blogs: Inside Marshall Sports

Athletic site:
Herdzone.com, goblueraiders.com

Media Guides:
Marshall, Middle Tennessee

Preseason Previews:
Marshall (Orlando Sentinel #40), Middle Tennessee (Orlando Sentinel #53)

Game Notes:
Marshall Game Notes, MT Game Notes, CUSA Game Notes

Roster: Thundering Herd, Blue Raiders

Game Previews:

Twitter: @HerdZone, @HerdFB, @heralddispatch, @HerdNation, @GrantTraylor, @Chuckonsports,

Hashtags: ,

Facebook: Marshall University Athletics,

Youtube: MU Herdzone,

Instagram:
Herdzone,

Last edited:
uh...... Who in the heck have they played?

Ohio - 42nd
Kent State - 119th in the pass
Purdue - 70th
Norfolk St. - They're a team?
USM - 15th but they turned it over 5 times.
FAU - 67th
ODU - 106th
UNT - 110th
Charlotte -112th

Awesome schedule. We'd be 7-2 or 6-3 with that crap. They ain't BAMA.

Our combined opponents records are...
36-31

Theirs...
26-47

4 of our opponents are .500 or better and only one of theirs is. We've played 3 power 5 teams in OOC and they've played 1. We also played BAMA who is still ranked #7 in the country. Marshall hasn't played anyone in the same universe as that. We have faced WKU, LaTech, Illinois, and BAMA. I don't think Marshall would beat anyone of those teams right now. No way. They lost to Ohio and went into overtime with Kent St. who Illinois beat 52-3. We pushed Illinois to the limit.

I'm not saying that they aren't a good team. They're 8-1 but if we played their schedule, we are having a hell of a year too. Come on. They've had the easiest schedule in the country and their total offense is ranked 70th. Seriously? We are ranked 41st and have faced much better competition.

We play better at home. We just do. We'll see but I have a better feeling about this one than I have had about the others.

I can't imagine any public money coming in on us with the line that low. If it stays close to the same or moves at all toward us I would think that is a really good sign. I give up on trying to predict anything we do this year.

I agree Tek. We are impossible to predict this year. We should perform better against Marshall but we could lay an egg or we could go Charlotte on em. I have no idea. I'm hoping we will step up and finally perform to the level of talent we have. We have to protect the dang ball and run it to win and our D has got to play better for us to win.

This is the type of game where I lay $100 on the opponent. Money well spent if we win. Consolation money for sorrow drinking if we don't. Could hit in the 1-2 pt win and get the best of both world.

Reactions: BlueRaider95
uh...... Who in the heck have they played?

Ohio - 42nd
Kent State - 119th in the pass
Purdue - 70th
Norfolk St. - They're a team?
USM - 15th but they turned it over 5 times.
FAU - 67th
ODU - 106th
UNT - 110th
Charlotte -112th

Awesome schedule. We'd be 7-2 or 6-3 with that crap. They ain't BAMA.

Marshall has been a proven winner for the last almost 3 years, give them a bit of credit. Meanwhile we now have lost 9 of our last 12 games.

Our schedule isn't that tough. Vandy and Illinois loses were not to good teams.

We have padded our stats against a few really bad teams. How about a bit of humility.

Reactions: bigbadjohn45
Vandy and Illinois are stronger opponents than any they've played with the exception of USM. Vandy isn't a good team but their D is ranked 22nd in the country against good competition. Illinois has a better record than us. It's not about humility. If we played Kent st., ohio, Purdue, and ODU instead of BAMA, Vandy, Illinois and LaTech, you're telling me that our schedule and stats wouldn't be better? They've also played FAU, UNT and Charlotte already too while we played LaTech and WKU. Seriously? If we had that road we'd be 7-2 or 6-3 at the worst right now. They went into overtime with Kent St.

We've had a much harder road than them thus far.

Illinois defense is ranked 38th while Marshall is at 37th. Illinois has played Nebraska, Penn State and Iowa. Has Marshall played any of those teams? BAMA? Come on. WKU and LaTech have top 15 passing offenses. WKU is in the top 5. Marshall has yet to face them either and played ODU instead of Tech.

None of this matters if we lay an egg. USM did. They turned it over 5 times. The game was real close til they did that.

And yes, that line is insane. Maybe Vegas is seeing some of the logic I am. Of course, I've been wrong before. :)

Well blueraiderJT we are used to the criticism regarding our schedule - the OOC part of it. Having said that it looks to many of us that MTSU may have played some "names" BUT the outcome was bad. We look forward to meeting on the field this Saturday and many of us still remember the first time we played in your stadium. Naturally, we hope to reverse that but we do expect to get your best shot. We are not the team we were the past couple of years - lots of youth and inexperience. However, our kids are managing to overcome a lot of the inexperience by playing a ton. Best of luck Saturday from "we ain't BAMA!"

Recalling that game two years, a very chilly night. Marshall fans may be used to that weather but MT fans are not. Me and a friend sat through all four hours of that game and still measure miserable game weather by that game. It was a four hot chocolate night for both of us. Glad this is an afternoon game and the weather likely to be a little warmer. Due to unhappiness with our record I don't expect the crowd to be any better than that cold night two years ago.

SpaceRaider how well many of us Herd fans recall that night - especially the long drive back! We are glad it is an afternoon game. Still we expect a tough game from MTSU. I just hope we are prepared. The Herd often struggles away from Huntington! Good luck to the Blue Raiders.

Reactions: bigbadjohn45
I hope it's a good game but we've laid so many eggs lately, I'm surprised we ain't clucking.

Marshall isn't BAMA but they are 8-1. They know how to win. Who knows? I'm hoping. As an MT fan, that's all I can do right now. We have good receivers and a good QB but we have to protect the football or it's a long day. Defensively, I think we can stay with them for most of the game but we have to score.

excerpt:

...The Marshall Thundering Herd will travel to Floyd Field to take on the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders in College Football action this Saturday afternoon.

The Marshall Thundering Herd won their 7th straight game and improved to 8-1 (5-0 C-USA East) on the season after defeating the Charlotte 49ers 34-10 this past Saturday. Marshall was able to outgain Charlotte by a 630-307 margin and forced the 49ers into committing two turnovers. Leading the way for the Thundering Herd was Chase Litton who threw completed 33 of 48 passes for a career high 486 yards and 2 TD in the win. On the season, Marshall is averaging 31.9 ppg on 396.1 yards per game (222.4 passing, 173.7 rushing). Leading the way for the Thundering Herd offense has been the running duo of Devon Johnson (14.00 att/game, 92.50 yards/games, 5 TD) and Tony Pittman (12.20 att/game, 57.60 yards/games, 3 TD). Freshman QB Chase Litton has been getting better with every game and currently has thrown for 14 TD and 4 INT on the season while averaging 235.0 passing yards per game. WR Davonte Allen (4.2 rec/games, 53.1 yards/game, 4 TD), WR Deandre Reaves (3.7 rec/games, 50.0 yards/game, 3 TD), and TE Ryan Yurachek (3.3 rec/games, 31.9 yards/game, 5TD) lead the way for the Thundering Herd receivers. Defensively, Marshall is holding their opponents to an average of 16.1 ppg on 351.6 yards per game (177.0 passing, 174.6 rushing). Marshall has forced 21 turnovers on the season and have a turnover margin of plus 5. The Thundering Herd are led defensively by DL Gary Thompson (46 tackles, 5.0 sacks) and DB Taj Letman (49 tackles, 3 INT).

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders couldn’t find their offensive this past Saturday and dropped to 3-5 (2-2 C-USA East) on the season after being defeated by the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs 45-16. Middle Tennessee was outgained by Louisiana Tech by a 474-414 margin and committed three turnovers in the loss. Leading the way for the Blue Raiders was as QB Brent Stockstill who completed 36 of 56 passes for 381 yards, 2 TD, and 2 INT. On the season, Middle Tennessee is averaging 34.6 ppg on 440.1 yards per game (310.6 passing, 129.5 rushing). Leading the Blue Raiders has been QB Brent Stockstill who has completed 66.6% of his passes for 18 TD and 6 INT while averaging 305.6 yards passing per game. Stockstill’s main targets have been WR Richie James (8.1 rec/game, 95.6 yards/game, 3 TD) and Ed’Marques Batties (7.5 rec/game, 86.3 yards/game, 11 TD). The Blue Raiders rushing attack is led by Jordan Parker (11.17 att/game, 55.67 yards/game, 4 TD) and Desmond Anderson (8.00 att/game, 37.57 yards/game, 4 TD). Defensively, Middle Tennessee is allowing 30.8 ppg on 404.0 yards per game (262.0 passing, 142.0 rushing). Middle Tennessee currently has a minus-2 turnover margin and are led defensively by LB T.T. Barber (55 tackles, 4.0 sacks) and DB Jeremy Cutrer (27 tackles, 1.0 sacks, 3 INT).

The Thundering Herd are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 games following a S.U. win and 8-2 ATS in their last 10 road games. The Blue Raiders are 3-7 ATS in their last 10 games after allowing more than 450 total yards in their previous game and 0-6 ATS in their last 6 games following a ATS loss.

Both Marshall and Middle Tennessee have above average offenses that can put points on the board but the difference in this one will come on the defensive end where Marshall has the advantage.....

That Marshall simulation post is really interesting. I think the difference is we really play a lot better at home than we do on the road. It's a total night and day difference. Are we a great team? No. Were we when we beat Marshall 2 years ago? No.

We were just beat down by UNT and at 3-4. We had suffered big losses to BYU, UNC and UNT. We had only beaten WCU, FAU in OT, and Memphis who was still a bad team. I don't think anyone gave us a shot to beat Marshall then and their offense was a lot more potent than it is now IMO. Very similar situations to now. Marshall's D is better but how much? I don't know.

Personally, I think we should be about 10 point dogs in this one but Vegas sees things differently.

I would agree with this analysis, BUT, we have gotten blown out 3 times. While losing to Bama by a wide margin isn't unexpected, getting destroyed by WKU and LT just leaves a nasty taste in my mouth - we were not competitive at all.

We don't know how to win a close game, I think the only way we beat Marshall is if we get a big lead and they self destruct, if Marshall plays well, we lose.

Marshall is not as good as WKU or LT. They are not bad, but I expect us to compete and not get blown out in this one. I am actually predicting a Blue Raider win. WKU and LT are the upper class of the league right now.

I would agree with this analysis, BUT, we have gotten blown out 3 times. While losing to Bama by a wide margin isn't unexpected, getting destroyed by WKU and LT just leaves a nasty taste in my mouth - we were not competitive at all.

We don't know how to win a close game, I think the only way we beat Marshall is if we get a big lead and they self destruct, if Marshall plays well, we lose.

Feel much the same. Marshall has a respectable game and has two or less turnovers, they win. We have to play an "A-" game to win. A "B minus/C plus game" earns us a 41-26 loss or similar. "D" game or worse, it's over at the half...just like La Tech.

I think this is another blow out loss. Until we show we can win against a GOOD team, I'm not going to think any different.

I
I believe
I believe that we
I believe that we will win

Reactions: C-Bow
No offense to anyone but if Marshall can't put up more than 34 on Charlotte, how in the heck are they putting up 40 on us?

We have to finally play aggressive like we did earlier in the year. Getting blown out by Bama doesn't bother me because Marshall would get blown out too. I predict that WKU will blast them as well.

We'll see but I just don't know which MT team will show up.

No offense to anyone but if Marshall can't put up more than 34 on Charlotte, how in the heck are they putting up 40 on us?

We have to finally play aggressive like we did earlier in the year. Getting blown out by Bama doesn't bother me because Marshall would get blown out too. I predict that WKU will blast them as well.

We'll see but I just don't know which MT team will show up.
Marshall - 58 Little Middle -17

ADVERTISEMENT