ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee vs Mars Hill, 6:30 Wednesday, 11/13/2019

Geez some of you guys are testy. Have we all forgotten how bad we were last year? We are improving and that is what matters. Coastal Carolina isn't Kentucky... let's not act like this is a total disaster because it's not.

I prefer wins and championships. I don't care about style.

Let's reconvene at the end of Dec when we are 4-7 or 5-6 with the preponderance of wins coming against three lower division schools.
What would being 5-7 prove as far as defense or no defense? I think if we finish the year at .500 or a little better that shows improvement. If we finish the non conference without Scurry at .500 that would also be a big improvement. We beat a fellow mid-major D1 team on the road this year. Not Duke or UK, but still a road win against a decent team.

What would being 5-7 prove as far as defense or no defense? I think if we finish the year at .500 or a little better that shows improvement. If we finish the non conference without Scurry at .500 that would also be a big improvement. We beat a fellow mid-major D1 team on the road this year. Not Duke or UK, but still a road win against a decent team.

Well you asked a q. And I answered. So you’ve asked another. It would prove that we lost more than we won and since what I care about is wins and championships it will prove what I’ve been saying that we have no defense.

And there is 0% chance this is a .500 team if they don’t make a dramatic improvement defensively. As I said this is another 10 to 12 win team again.

This time las year almost this entire board was saying the same thing you are that we would be a .500 team. There was so much delusion. Go back and look at the threads. At this time last year I said nine wins (not counting the non-D1 games was our ceiling. That’s exactly how many D-1 wins we had yet no one will remember that or go back and look. This year I’m saying similar that we are looking at a 10 to 12 win team (so maybe as many as 15 counting these glorified scrimmages we are counting) which yes is an improvement but not a .500 team.

So to recap can this be a .500 team or better? I believe they can but only if they start playing semi-competent defense. But based on what I see so far this team cannot get to .500 this year. Time will tell. And the question is we won 11 last year. If we win say 12 or 13 is that enough improvement to make y’all feel good. In CBB you can flip a roster in year or two really easily. The momentum built under the previous coach has been completely lost. Nothing we can do about that now, but I’m not sure that’s the degree of improvement we are looking for.

Hopefully, we get a lot better defensively and make a good run this year. But I will have to see if before I believe it.

Well you asked a q. And I answered. So you’ve asked another. It would prove that we lost more than we won and since what I care about is wins and championships it will prove what I’ve been saying that we have no defense.

And there is 0% chance this is a .500 team if they don’t make a dramatic improvement defensively. As I said this is another 10 to 12 win team again.

This time las year almost this entire board was saying the same thing you are that we would be a .500 team. There was so much delusion. Go back and look at the threads. At this time last year I said nine wins (not counting the non-D1 games was our ceiling. That’s exactly how many D-1 wins we had yet no one will remember that or go back and look. This year I’m saying similar that we are looking at a 10 to 12 win team (so maybe as many as 15 counting these glorified scrimmages we are counting) which yes is an improvement but not a .500 team.

So to recap can this be a .500 team or better? I believe they can but only if they start playing semi-competent defense. But based on what I see so far this team cannot get to .500 this year. Time will tell. And the question is we won 11 last year. If we win say 12 or 13 is that enough improvement to make y’all feel good. In CBB you can flip a roster in year or two really easily. The momentum built under the previous coach has been completely lost. Nothing we can do about that now, but I’m not sure that’s the degree of improvement we are looking for.

Hopefully, we get a lot better defensively and make a good run this year. But I will have to see if before I believe it.
You are focusing on defense which does not matter if you score more points. That is my whole point. Marshall has done fairly well recently not playing defense.

You are focusing on defense which does not matter if you score more points. That is my whole point. Marshall has done fairly well recently not playing defense.

There is never a time where defense doesn’t matter. Marshall - when they won the league had one of the better defensive efficiency teams in the league. Kind of went unnoticed because of their offense there were so many possessions.

But the true test of what you are saying is did you win games and championships. So if we can do that giving up 85 points because we score 90 every game great. It’s just not realistic.

I prefer wins and championships. I don't care about style.

Let's reconvene at the end of Dec when we are 4-7 or 5-6 with the preponderance of wins coming against three lower division schools.

I think in general the concept behind the focus on D is that you always have good D, whereas you can have nights where your off offensively. Both styles can win or lose - I think of UVA the last two years...lost in the first round and then won the championship.

Ultimately, like you, I could care less about the style. The only thing I will say is I personally would respond to CNM style than CKD. But hey, I'm just a fan.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Get on board with your team man- quit living in the past.. it's just basketball and hopefully not your personal identity...

The team is clearly improved from last year.. they're never going to live up to some of these ever-changing narratives of finding something to complain about for each game for the folks who still haven't come to terms with the former coaches departure.. the 1-3-1 defense won that Libscomb game in critical possessions, none of the guys looked lost when they're locked in/focused and you didn't say a positive word my friend..

Only 4 turnovers last night- no one has said a word about that either after many (myself included) complained about the number of turnovers in other games.. the positives is that the team has 3 guys capable of carrying the offensive load/dominating a game, although Sims has been off thus far but he showed what he can do when his confidence returns- last year at this point it was only Green carrying the team offensively.. and there are some consistent role players this year..

The schedule amps up going forward- nice to have a couple of tune up games to work some things out but the energy level and focus will have to be on point from here out..

2018-2019:
(11-21), (8-10)
.344 / .444

2019-2020:
(8-23), (4-14)
.258 / .222

Champions of Hattiesburg, MS!

Now back to my cranberry juice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Predarat
2018-2019:
(11-21), (8-10)
.344 / .444

2019-2020:
(8-23), (4-14)
.258 / .222

Champions of Hattiesburg, MS!

Now back to my cranberry juice.

Wow you went all the back to the Mars Hill thread eh? Ok- that's cool.. Sure- it's easy to cherry pick one statement after 3 games and play Monday morning QB. To your point though I certainly made that statement that you selectively bolded- I stand behind everything I've said here so it's fair but what did the 2nd half of my post say?
1. I was critical about the turnovers seen in other games- that trend continued unfortunately throughout the year unlike this game.
2. That it looked like MTSU was better offensively (70.7 pts/gm this year vs 66.9 last. So that was true..
3. That Sims had been off to that point. That was true at that point but did anyone expect him to be that off pretty much all year? I did not expect him to perform so poorly this year causing the staff to actively recruit PGs currently...
4. I stated that "The schedule amps up going forward- nice to have a couple of tune up games to work some things out but the energy level and focus will have to be on point from here out"- many game threads I commented repeatedly about the lack of energy and focus by the players..

Drink up buttercup...

After going back and reading every post in this thread, it is hard to imagine the degree to which people were so off at this early junction of the season. Mars Hill was a crystal ball into the things yet to come, but no one wanted to accept that. It's easier to turn a blind eye. The optimism in the face of reality has been a staple here until it finally started whacking people upside the head. I really enjoy post 29 where the outsider criticizes me early in the season for for simply clarifying a statement made by someone else. And then goes on to instruct me how my fandom should be handled. And then closes that with some sunshine pumping. Yep, but there's no agenda there. LMFAO.

I think I’ve figured out Dingaling42. Instead of staying on the UNC-Assville forums to complain about the current state of their program drop off, he comes over here to preach to us about how wonderful things are with our sh*tshow of a program under his buddy, our new coach.

UNC-Assville Men’s Basketball the last two seasons:

2018-2019
(4-27), (2-14)

2019-2020
(15-16), (8-10)

Go Bulldogs!!!!

With all this knowledge you two ladies should be able to solve this COVID19 pandemic by end of business... #WomenPower

With all this knowledge you two ladies should be able to solve this COVID19 pandemic by end of business... #WomenPower
I’m currently doing my part by Social Distancing as requested by the President, our Governor and the Medical Staffs. Unfortunately, the ground zero case for TN lives just a few miles up the road from me here in Franklin, Williamson County. He flew it into BNA on a direct flight earlier this month from a Biogen conference in Boston. His kids attend the same school where my boys graduated.

I’m currently doing my part by Social Distancing as requested by the President, our Governor and the Medical Staffs. Unfortunately, the ground zero case for TN lives just a few miles up the road from me here in Franklin, Williamson County. He flew it into BNA on a direct flight earlier this month from a Biogen conference in Boston. His kids attend the same school where my boys graduated.

All banter aside.. stay safe!

ADVERTISEMENT