Mars Hill

11/13/2019 | 6:30 PM

C-USA TV

WGNS 1450 AM/100.5 FM/101.9 FM; WDUC 93.9 FM; The Game 102.5 FM/97.5 FM

LIVE STATS

LISTEN LIVE

WATCH LIVE

Last edited:
It's unacceptable - did this earlier in the year for other things I was trying to watch. Little Middle...?

I put in a ticket to customer service... others should as well

Got a response... they are still waiting for MT staff to fix the issue (as expected)

As I mentioned after the last game our three point defense is about as horrendously atrocious as can be. That might be sugar coating it.

We're going to have a 40 point loss to someone at some point this year they don't get better at defensive positioning. There is absolutely no reason a Division II team should be lighting us up for 50% or better from three. So, so unacceptable.

And even more disturbing than that is we are getting dominated on the boards...by a D2 school. Good thing we counted these two lower level games instead of exhibitions. Going to be another long season.

They have three players listed at 6'4", 6'3" and 6'1" that have as many total rebounds as our entire team. Pathetic. I can only laugh.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
how are they killing us on the glass and shooting 50% from 3? Jeez

So, now we're comparing ourselves to how well teams did against Elon? LMAO.

Hard to believe just three years ago we were dominating the #2 team in the nation.

Reactions: bluefutcpa
So, now we're comparing ourselves to how well teams did against Elon? LMAO.

Hard to believe just three years ago we were dominating the #2 team in the nation.
We beat a 2 seed. They were not the #2 team in the nation. Either way those same guys that beat Michigan State lost to Martin Methodist a year earlier. Give them time. They are not there yet, but they will get there.

I was impressed with Austin Gilyard, who tagged us for 30+ points. I was thinking he was a D1 transfer of some sort, but nope, he signed straight out of high school with Mars Hill. He could play for a lot of CUSA and other similar programs.

I’m just getting so tired of seeing people down our guys for things such as rebounding and three point defense etc. 1. We’re playing without our best big and still 3-0 (opponents considered). Scurry takes care of a lot of problems in that regard. 2. If you do your research on Mars Hill you will find out they shoot it exceptionally well and are pretty good for their level this year just perhaps undersized. They just can’t guard anyone. 3. If people would support our guys and the system of CNM he wouldn’t have to go nuts to encourage the crowd. It’s getting old people recalling the MSU game. Happened one time get over it. The same guy that’s coaching our guys now had Syracuse beat in the first round when they were a one seed and about 4 poor calls by officials cost them that one. Support our dudes it’s game three.

We beat a 2 seed. They were not the #2 team in the nation. Either way those same guys that beat Michigan State lost to Martin Methodist a year earlier. Give them time. They are not there yet, but they will get there.

They were both. In the AP they were ranked #2 which is why everyone thought they would be a one seed.

I was impressed with Austin Gilyard, who tagged us for 30+ points. I was thinking he was a D1 transfer of some sort, but nope, he signed straight out of high school with Mars Hill. He could play for a lot of CUSA and other similar programs.

I know I'd want him on my team.

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
Despite the difficulty last night, our team is so much more talented than last year. I was at the game and I needed a freaking program to figure out who was on the floor. Not saying that we will not have challenges, but in year two of a complete rebuild we are on our way.

They were both. In the AP they were ranked #2 which is why everyone thought they would be a one seed.

Get on board with your team man- quit living in the past.. it's just basketball and hopefully not your personal identity...

The team is clearly improved from last year.. they're never going to live up to some of these ever-changing narratives of finding something to complain about for each game for the folks who still haven't come to terms with the former coaches departure.. the 1-3-1 defense won that Libscomb game in critical possessions, none of the guys looked lost when they're locked in/focused and you didn't say a positive word my friend..

Only 4 turnovers last night- no one has said a word about that either after many (myself included) complained about the number of turnovers in other games.. the positives is that the team has 3 guys capable of carrying the offensive load/dominating a game, although Sims has been off thus far but he showed what he can do when his confidence returns- last year at this point it was only Green carrying the team offensively.. and there are some consistent role players this year..

The schedule amps up going forward- nice to have a couple of tune up games to work some things out but the energy level and focus will have to be on point from here out..

Elon is not good, new coach and players.
I’m just getting so tired of seeing people down our guys for things such as rebounding and three point defense etc. 1. We’re playing without our best big and still 3-0 (opponents considered). Scurry takes care of a lot of problems in that regard. 2. If you do your research on Mars Hill you will find out they shoot it exceptionally well and are pretty good for their level this year just perhaps undersized. They just can’t guard anyone. 3. If people would support our guys and the system of CNM he wouldn’t have to go nuts to encourage the crowd. It’s getting old people recalling the MSU game. Happened one time get over it. The same guy that’s coaching our guys now had Syracuse beat in the first round when they were a one seed and about 4 poor calls by officials cost them that one. Support our dudes it’s game three.

Yes, because why would we want a team that can rebound and play good defense. Oh the horrors.

So, I took your advice and I did a little research on Mars Hill. In their division 2 conference last year - it's called the South Atlantic Conference - aka the SAC. And in this SAC where they played the likes of Wingate, Tusculum, Lenoir-Rhyne and Carson Newman they went 3-17 in that league a year ago. 3-17. So, yeah we faced a real juggernaut last night.

I'm sorry, but anyone who isn't concerned with the way we've played in the first three games simply isn't paying attention. If they don't start playing defense this is another 10 to 12 win team (counting these joke D2/NAIA wins). If you take away the three wins we will get from playing clown colleges what will the record of this team be? We are really, really bad defensively right now, and though we appear to be a little better offensively than last year I'm not sure how many wins that will actually translate in to. All I'm saying is based on what we've seen so far is there is reason - a significant reason to be extremely concerned that season 2 will look a lot like season 1. Does CNM just not practice defense at all? It's been a theme with his teams even at Asheville, and I continue to find it extremely problematic here as well. Just my 2 cents.

And by the way the MSU game wasn't a one time deal. During the last 10 years, we beat - in addition to MSU - UCLA, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Minnesota, etc., and a bunch of other really good basketball teams. This team won't be winning any games like that - unless they start playing defense.

That said, I am interested to see what getting Scurry back does in terms of move everyone down the line a rung. Will it mean better defense. Probably not, but we'll find out in a month or so. Cheers.

I realize just how hard it is adjusting to a different philosophy from your basketball program after seeing the previous coach emphasize defense and "toughness" over a long period of time. I'm having a hard time also.

But, let's not forget that for much of Davis' tenure offense was like "pulling hen's teeth". Very hard to watch (or excite fans or recruit to). Painful!!!

We must give McDevitt a little more time realizing the talent level is a huge improvement over last year. Is it still true that offense brings fans but defense wins championships? Time will tell.

And by the way the MSU game wasn't a one time deal. During the last 10 years, we beat - in addition to MSU - UCLA, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Minnesota, etc., and a bunch of other really good basketball teams. This team won't be winning any games like that - unless they start playing defense.

If you are going to make that argument, then we should also mention KD's losses to the following powerhouse programs: Global Sports, Campbell, Houston Baptist, Indiana St (without Larry Bird), NC A&T, Miss Valley St, Furman, Martin Methodist.... Every win you referenced was in year 10 and beyond. We went .500 in year 9 of the KD era.

I do know the best we could possibly be right now is 3-0, and here we are. I'm not saying we are going to win a conference championship, make a postseason tournament, or anything like that. But I do know CNM was dealt a $hit hand last year and has basically had to start from scratch. Give him some time. Loved his energy last night. That is what that team, athletic dept, and fans need. I can't wait to get back to the Murph again. Let's go boys!

If you are going to make that argument, then we should also mention KD's losses to the following powerhouse programs: Global Sports, Campbell, Houston Baptist, Indiana St (without Larry Bird), NC A&T, Miss Valley St, Furman, Martin Methodist.... Every win you referenced was in year 10 and beyond. We went .500 in year 9 of the KD era.

I do know the best we could possibly be right now is 3-0, and here we are. I'm not saying we are going to win a conference championship, make a postseason tournament, or anything like that. But I do know CNM was dealt a $hit hand last year and has basically had to start from scratch. Give him some time. Loved his energy last night. That is what that team, athletic dept, and fans need. I can't wait to get back to the Murph again. Let's go boys!

No doubt he had some bad losses especially in his early years. If everyone would stop getting their panties in a bunch for one second all I said is that it's hard to believe we went from where we were three years ago to comparing schedules of the likes of Elon and Mars Hill. I don't think that's too big of a stretch statement.

But beyond any comparisons, my main point remains the same. We are struggling to play even remotely decent defense. As the schedule begins to get tougher here in the coming weeks that's going to be exposed so don't say I didn't warn.

If everyone would stop getting their panties in a bunch for one second all I said is that it's hard to believe we went from where we were three years ago to comparing schedules of the likes of Elon and Mars Hill. I don't think that's too big of a stretch statement.
It is hard to believe...even harder to believe what happened to our program in the course of 8 days after being ranked and taking WKU behind the woodshed on our own court. That's why I don't get some fans cheering for Ole Miss (our color guy included). Toughest loss I have had as fan, because it was personal.

If you look at different stats on KenPom you will notice a lot of these defense issues that you speak of are a result of possession numbers. Through 3 games we are in the top 1/4 of the NCAA in terms of possessions per 40 minutes. Defensive numbers and points allowed are going to increase when playing at that kind of pace. Our defensive efficiency number are around the top 2/5 of the NCAA. Either way pace of play has a lot to do with these concerns.

I was looking through the schedule of Kermit's entire tenure here and he only topped 100 points around a handful of times. Nick's teams have topped it twice already. I do not understand the emphasis on defense. What matters is scoring more points. Does it really matter if the average game score is 65-60 or 95-90 as long as we win? Game against Lipscomb this year was 73-70 and we made defensive stops when it mattered. If you prefer more of a slow down defensive approach that is fine. What I am mainly concerned with is we have more points at the end of the game regardless of how many that is.

If you look at different stats on KenPom you will notice a lot of these defense issues that you speak of are a result of possession numbers. Through 3 games we are in the top 1/4 of the NCAA in terms of possessions per 40 minutes. Defensive numbers and points allowed are going to increase when playing at that kind of pace. Our defensive efficiency number are around the top 2/5 of the NCAA. Either way pace of play has a lot to do with these concerns.

For purposes of team stat rankings, Pomeroy only counts games against division 1 opponents, so all he is using to rank MT right now is the one game at Lipscomb.

I was looking through the schedule of Kermit's entire tenure here and he only topped 100 points around a handful of times. Nick's teams have topped it twice already. I do not understand the emphasis on defense. What matters is scoring more points. Does it really matter if the average game score is 65-60 or 95-90 as long as we win? Game against Lipscomb this year was 73-70 and we made defensive stops when it mattered. If you prefer more of a slow down defensive approach that is fine. What I am mainly concerned with is we have more points at the end of the game regardless of how many that is.

I prefer wins and championships. I don't care about style.

Let's reconvene at the end of Dec when we are 4-7 or 5-6 with the preponderance of wins coming against three lower division schools.

ADVERTISEMENT