God's Country
  • 94.9 The Fan, 95.1 in Murfreesboro
  • Streaming on GoBlueRaiders.com and the Varsity Network App
  • Game will not air on WGNS due to High School Football Playoff Game

Enrollment: 10,243
Arena: Hofstra Arena (5,023)
Colors: Blue & Gold Nickname: Pride
Head Coach: Speedy Claxton
Record at School: 21-11 (2nd Season) Career Record: 21-11 (2nd Season)
2021-22 Record: 21-11, 13-5 2021-22 Finish: 3rd CAA 2021-22 Postseason: CAA Quarterfinals
Starters R/L: 2/3 Letterwinners R/L: 6/8

Last edited:
NORTHERN CLASSIC SCHEDULE (times EST)

November 25th – Round 1

2:00 PM – Stephen F. Austin vs Qunnipiac
4:30 PM – Montana State vs UNCG
7:00 PM – MTSU vs Hofstra

November 26th – Round 2

2:00 PM – Hofstra vs UNCG
4:30 PM – MTSU vs Stephen F. Austin
7:00 PM – Quinnipiac vs Montana State

November 27th – Round 3

11:00 AM – UNCG vs Stephen F. Austin
1:30 PM – Montana State vs MTSU
4:00 PM Quinnipiac vs Hofstra

Hofstra comes in at 4-1. A couple of nice wins so far & a blow out loss to undefeated St Mary's. Btw- St Mary's has been destroying everyone. And Hofstra has proven the ability to win on the road this year. Based on results so far, unless their's dramatic road improvement by Friday the ESPN prediction sounds correct.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
At the start of the season, I had already been planning on paying for a video streaming service if available to watch MT in this early season tournament. My attitude was based on the good turnaround last season. Now? I'm not so sure. It's not a hard no right now, but I'm strongly leaning against forking over the $25.

I'm not writing off the season based on some ugly early season performances. I have to admit though, it's hard to forget three seasons of terrible performances with horrible results. In my opinion, those seasons were notable for especially poor effort and a large lack of discipline. While I'm not writing off the season at this point particularly after last season's success, I've seen enough lack of discipline throughout these early games and some stretches of questionable effort that has me questioning if I want to fork over the $25 at this point. Who knows, maybe I'll breakdown and fork over the Dinars $$$ come game time.

So, why am I sharing my personal deliberations as to whether I'll purchase the streaming package? A couple of reasons I think it is generally relevant other than the obvious it's a MT gameday. There have been some vocal voices on here expressing frustration and serious concern after one or two losses. The other reason is that I think the overall dysfunction, incompetence, neglect, and/or just not seeming to care by the university leadership has started to also seep into my perspective and attitude towards basketball.

While I have tried to advocate or argue for some patience and not to overreact to a couple of early season losses especially after a really good performance last year, I also still understood why the posters were voicing their concerns and frustrations. I get it. I, myself, have been greatly alarmed at the lack of discipline that has seemed to return with a vengeance. One good season does not erase the memory or reality of three really bad seasons marked by a lack of discipline and poor effort. While I want the players and coaches to succeed with a great story of turning around past bad seasons, it is difficult to not notice some familiar troubling patterns.

The horrible University leadership is also seeping into my attitudes towards basketball. Again, years ago it would have seemed unimaginable to be in this predicament, yet here we are. I have little to no confidence in leadership in the athletic department or the university as a whole. It is effecting how I make my decisions to spend money even on basketball. That has been a given for football for years, but basketball is being sucked into that black hole of visionless leadership that seems to care little or may even have contempt for fans and alumni at this point. The contempt attribution is just my opinion without any direct evidence or quotes, but things have seemed to devolve to that point in my view.

I do hope this team can quickly correct some of the problem areas so that they can go on to a successful season. I'm still holding out hope for a successful season that we can all enjoy. At the same time, I can't unsee reality. Some of those problem areas raise questions and doubts. Some have already voiced those doubts and concerns clearly and repeatedly on here. While I may be trying to extend some patience and credit for one good season, I do understand the concerns of those raising the red flags.

All in all, the Athletic Department and university leadership are asking people, fans, alumni, community members, and especially consumers to sort through a lot of garbage to decide whether to spend a lousy 25 bucks! Most aren't. They have checked out and the stands are empty for it. They no longer even care. Who can blame them when the leadership of the university doesn't even seem to care? A few well-heeled huge money types may have kicked in some big money recently, but I guess I'm doubting that the donations are coming from a groundswell of support amongst the general population. I guess that is a discussion for another thread.

I imagine the overall direction of this season will become more clear in the coming games. Right now, I just might have to hear about it from this tournament. As of right now, it is unlikely I will be watching.

At the start of the season, I had already been planning on paying for a video streaming service if available to watch MT in this early season tournament. My attitude was based on the good turnaround last season. Now? I'm not so sure. It's not a hard no right now, but I'm strongly leaning against forking over the $25.

I'm not writing off the season based on some ugly early season performances. I have to admit though, it's hard to forget three seasons of terrible performances with horrible results. In my opinion, those seasons were notable for especially poor effort and a large lack of discipline. While I'm not writing off the season at this point particularly after last season's success, I've seen enough lack of discipline throughout these early games and some stretches of questionable effort that has me questioning if I want to fork over the $25 at this point. Who knows, maybe I'll breakdown and fork over the Dinars $$$ come game time.

So, why am I sharing my personal deliberations as to whether I'll purchase the streaming package? A couple of reasons I think it is generally relevant other than the obvious it's a MT gameday. There have been some vocal voices on here expressing frustration and serious concern after one or two losses. The other reason is that I think the overall dysfunction, incompetence, neglect, and/or just not seeming to care by the university leadership has started to also seep into my perspective and attitude towards basketball.

While I have tried to advocate or argue for some patience and not to overreact to a couple of early season losses especially after a really good performance last year, I also still understood why the posters were voicing their concerns and frustrations. I get it. I, myself, have been greatly alarmed at the lack of discipline that has seemed to return with a vengeance. One good season does not erase the memory or reality of three really bad seasons marked by a lack of discipline and poor effort. While I want the players and coaches to succeed with a great story of turning around past bad seasons, it is difficult to not notice some familiar troubling patterns.

The horrible University leadership is also seeping into my attitudes towards basketball. Again, years ago it would have seemed unimaginable to be in this predicament, yet here we are. I have little to no confidence in leadership in the athletic department or the university as a whole. It is effecting how I make my decisions to spend money even on basketball. That has been a given for football for years, but basketball is being sucked into that black hole of visionless leadership that seems to care little or may even have contempt for fans and alumni at this point. The contempt attribution is just my opinion without any direct evidence or quotes, but things have seemed to devolve to that point in my view.

I do hope this team can quickly correct some of the problem areas so that they can go on to a successful season. I'm still holding out hope for a successful season that we can all enjoy. At the same time, I can't unsee reality. Some of those problem areas raise questions and doubts. Some have already voiced those doubts and concerns clearly and repeatedly on here. While I may be trying to extend some patience and credit for one good season, I do understand the concerns of those raising the red flags.

All in all, the Athletic Department and university leadership are asking people, fans, alumni, community members, and especially consumers to sort through a lot of garbage to decide whether to spend a lousy 25 bucks! Most aren't. They have checked out and the stands are empty for it. They no longer even care. Who can blame them when the leadership of the university doesn't even seem to care? A few well-heeled huge money types may have kicked in some big money recently, but I guess I'm doubting that the donations are coming from a groundswell of support amongst the general population. I guess that is a discussion for another thread.

I imagine the overall direction of this season will become more clear in the coming games. Right now, I just might have to hear about it from this tournament. As of right now, it is unlikely I will be watching.
I too hope for the best, & while frustrated at our away from home play would gladly love to see the effort & play we saw last year come back to earth. While I am skeptical of the head coach's ability to get the best out of his players based on team play so far, I don't doubt his desire to win & wish them best of luck this weekend

I too hope for the best, & while frustrated at our away from home play would gladly love to see the effort & play we saw last year come back to earth. While I am skeptical of the head coach's ability to get the best out of his players based on team play so far, I don't doubt his desire to win & wish them best of luck this weekend
Agreed. I, also, don't doubt CNM's desire to win (wish I had that same confidence with a certain head football coach). While I don't know CNM personally, I suspect he is one of the good guys. I do hope the team gets back to winning and sustained successful ways during this tournament.

As much as I may want CNM to have a little bit of a Drill Sergeant in him come out, I know that is just not who he is. Unless he makes a deliberate effort to surround himself with hard discipline minded asst coaches, discipline will likely remain an issue. In defense of CNM, that more gentle authentic build long term relationships make up of CNM is what helps him land and keep quality players. A double-edged sword of sorts.

Elias King, WOW! At half leads team in pts & boards.

For a couple of games he has really emerged big time. He was showing signs of that at the end of last season. He is an enigma to me. He is starting to show the signs of finally developing into the star player he was projected to be out of high school. Even with signs of improvement at the end of last season, he is also showing signs of that high level polish.

Check that, King leads both teams in pts & boards at the half. Impressive.

Dishman also in double figures, 10 pts, at the half.

Elias King with a double-double! The only double-double in the game. King did cool off in the 2nd, but still hit a crucial 3 in the last couple of minutes to help seal the win.

Dishman led all scorers with 19. He appears to be the only player to perform consistently for both halfs.

Good win. I'm a little concerned about the 2nd half drop off, but it's hard to tell the cause (eg MT or Hofstra) without watching the game.

Reactions: MTsumner92
Great 1st half, showed best ball movement & discipline away from home for the year. And yes good to see Elias play so well in the 1st, & especially that 2nd half 3 was all important. The bug-a-boo was in the 2nd half where we played too much one man hero ball & almost squandered our lead. I appreciate Kyle Turnham bringing that up in the post game conversation. Hopefully coach will take that to heart & address it to the players. Would be good for the players to learn from this & use towards the rest of the tournament. The best result may be the added confidence this win away from the Murphy Center gives the team. Even a neutral court win can still be a very big boost to team confidence

ADVERTISEMENT