ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Middle Tennessee vs Columbia International, 6:30PM, Tuesday, December 3, 2019

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
image_handler.aspx

Columbia International

2018-19 Record: 18-16, 10-12
Enrollment: 500
2018-19 Finish: 7th 2018-19 Postseason: NCCAA Round 1
Starters R/L: 4/1 Lettermen R/L: 6/8
Arena: Moore Fitness Center
Twitter: @CIURams
Colors: Navy Blue & Gold
Head Coach: Tony Stockman
Nickname: Rams
Record at School: 1st Season Career Record: 131-73 (6 Seasons)

Date: December 3, 2019
Time: 6:30 PM CT
Arena: Murphy Center (11,520)
Series Record: First Meeting
TV: C-USA TV Talent: N/A
Radio: Blue Raider Network (Game2/WGNS/TuneIn) Talent: Chip Walters (PxP), Kyle Turnham (Analyst)
Twitter: @MT_MBB, #BlueRaiders

Game Notes

WATCH

TUNE-IN

LIVE STATS

Last edited:
Geeze how far has our basketball stock fallen when we host games against D2 schools that play games in their fitness center.
Such dark times for MTSU athletics

I want to point out Columbia International does NOT count this game as a real game. It is an exhibition on their schedule.

I have asked this before, and never got an answer. How can we count a game on our record against a NCCAA school that does count the game as a real game?

I want to point out Columbia International does NOT count this game as a real game. It is an exhibition on their schedule.

I have asked this before, and never got an answer. How can we count a game on our record against a NCCAA school that does count the game as a real game?

I don't know the "official" answer but it is a common occurrence. One such example is UAB's upcoming 12/14 game against Montevallo. It's a regular season game for UAB and an "exhibition" for Montevallo. I think I've posted before that I'm not normally a fan of playing 3 non-D1 teams like we are this season. I'm fine with playing one on the education day game, and can stomach one extra one for budget reasons. I'm OK with three such games this year because it helps to be able to count 3 of those games toward Scurry's 11 that he has to sit.

Does it really matter at this point. Season is a wash anyway

I have long figured that this extra game was on the schedule so as to allow Scurry to return just in time to get in some game time mins vs opponents similar to the types of teams in conference.

If next year has 3 of these games for no good reason, I'd be a grumbling fan as well.

It seems pretty clear that CNM is not afraid to play challenging games against quality teams in out of conf play.

Reactions: RaiderDawg78
I have long figured that this extra game was on the schedule so as to allow Scurry to return just in time to get in some game time mins vs opponents similar to the types of teams in conference.

If next year has 3 of these games for no good reason, I'd be a grumbling fan as well.

It seems pretty clear that CNM is not afraid to play challenging games against quality teams in out of conf play.
Yes the games are being counted to get him On the court sooner. I just hope if we so show improvement like last year it will be earlier.

Reactions: RaiderDawg78
Thanks for the responses about why we count this game. That at least makes sense.

I personally hate playing non-D1 games. They don’t count toward RPI/tournaments and the other team doesn’t count them as a real game. There are 320+ D1 schools, should be easy to find a bottom D1 team to fill the schedule.

Thanks for the responses about why we count this game. That at least makes sense.

I personally hate playing non-D1 games. They don’t count toward RPI/tournaments and the other team doesn’t count them as a real game. There are 320+ D1 schools, should be easy to find a bottom D1 team to fill the schedule.

Not a big fan of the non-D1 games either but they serve their purpose.. you need at least a couple gimmes on a 30 game schedule... problem with playing bottom D1 programs is that it actually lowers your RPI/NET even with a blowout win.. numerous articles out there about how playing a couple non-D1s is actually a better strategy for RPI/NET rankings..

I understand the "Scurry" argument for three non D-1 games and having them count as regular games this year. Don't like it but it is what it is.
Regardless, I don't mind one, or even a couple, of games against non D-1 schools as long as they are the first game(s) played each year and that both teams count them as exhibitions (Obviously played at home so fans can get an early glimpse of the team and newcomers to the squad).
I just don't understand why the NCAA and NAIA don't come to an agreement that if one team counts a game as an exhibition then both teams must do so. I just don't understand the either/or rationale. Don't exhibitions count the same as a regular game against the number of games allowed?

I understand the "Scurry" argument for three non D-1 games and having them count as regular games this year. Don't like it but it is what it is.
Regardless, I don't mind one, or even a couple, of games against non D-1 schools as long as they are the first game(s) played each year and that both teams count them as exhibitions (Obviously played at home so fans can get an early glimpse of the team and newcomers to the squad).
I just don't understand why the NCAA and NAIA don't come to an agreement that if one team counts a game as an exhibition then both teams must do so. I just don't understand the either/or rationale. Don't exhibitions count the same as a regular game against the number of games allowed?

It has to do with the seeding criteria for the NAIA- NAIA teams that opt to play D1 programs would be penalized for those losses when it is time for their tourney selections/seedings since they use win/loss records pretty exclusively unlike the NCAA which uses NET/RPI/SOS/polls and win/loss.. https://www.naia.org/legislative/2017-18/releases/20170821mswvj

The requirements for what makes a game countable is located in National Administrative Council (NAC) Policy at Article XXV, Section A, Part 12. If a game is countable then it can be used for your win-loss records, coaching records, and statistics. For a quick overview of what constitutes a countable opponent please refer to two of our past briefs, here and here. The NAC determined the countable opponent criteria in order to ensure that each school is being ranked and seeded based on proper competition. The NAC wanted to prevent a school from scheduling all club teams and receiving a higher seed than another team that played opponents that meet the criteria set out by the NAC. NAIA schools are more than welcome to play non-countable opponents but need to be aware that these games will count toward the frequency of play limits but cannot be used for statistics or win/loss record.

Reactions: RandallThomason
Scurry or not we should never be playing a team like this - ever. One D2 school a year is fine if it means we can avoid 300 RPI Division 1 school in lieu but certainly not a school like this. Ever.

In our last 40 basketball games against Division I opponents MT is 11-29 for an astonishing 27% winning percentage.

By next week that will be 11-31 and probably 11-33 by the end of the month. Maybe the Bonnies are in range for a win?? But if we go 1-9 in the non-conf against the Division I portion of the schedule what can we expect in conference play? This might be the worst C-USA has ever been this season, so maybe there's a handful of wins to be had somewhere in conference?

ADVERTISEMENT